LiLee's Journey to overall happiness

LiLee2018
LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
edited March 2019 in Social Groups
Lets get all the stats out of the way first.

Name: Lisa
Height: 5'3"
HW: 250 (around 2008)
SW (July 2018): 224
CW: 173.6
GW: Somewhere in the 120 range give or take
Health Issues: PCOS, Hypothyroidism, insulin resistant, gut issues
Other info: Stay-at-Home mom of 3 (6,4,2). I eat mostly carnivore but will be doing some keto meals every once in a while.

I just started fasting last week. I started off doing an almost 48hr fast with just 'snake juice', but I was totally not prepared for the mental strength needed to do it.
While I was trying to distract myself, I started thinking about OMAD and it just made sense that doing that instead at first would be a good way in to longer fasting times.
That first week OMAD was extremely difficult for me too. My body really wasn't hungry most of the time, but my brain sure as heck told me to eat. Especially during normal eating times.
It has gotten easier though thankfully and I am enjoying my giant single meals that still put me in to a calorie deficit.
I'm in this for weight loss mostly TBH, but even just doing this for this short amount of time has seemed to help with my gut issues I was having so yay for health bonuses too! :)

I've been looking in to bone broth fasting (yes, I know it's not technically a fast) and decided last minute to give that a try today. So nothing but bone broth. I fasted for 16hrs and just broke it with my first cup of homemade chicken bone broth w/ a little bit of bouillon to help with flavor, salt substitute, baking soda, epsom salt.
I also will be having a diet dr pepper today b/c my youngest is sick and I need the caffeine boost.

And yeah... going to go 24hrs or longer and see how I feel after. I'm not a purest with my OMADing so far. I've had diet sodas during my fasting time to help (and it has with no adverse effects) get through the rough times and I'll probably continue doing that. So please don't come in telling me that diet soda is full of chemicals and poisons!! B/c I don't care. ;)

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Diet soda etc. doesn't bother me at all either :) I make bone broth pretty much every week and include it in all my mini fasts :) loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee me some bone broth!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome Lisa :)
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Welcome to the group Lisa and to OMAD; both are great!
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Welcome! I am new here as well.
  • LiLee2018
    Thanks all for the warm welcome. :)

It's coming up on 6pm and I'm letting my last cup of broth cool off. Accidentally added too much salt to it so I had to blend it in with the batch of broth I'm currently making. Whoops.

I've had 4 coffee cups of bone broth today (more like 3.5). 3 were chicken and this last one is beef.

Chicken ones were made with chicken feet. Lots and lots of weird chicken feet. Or as Walmart likes to call them... Chicken Paws. lol

To all the cups I added, bouillon to mask that weird bone broth flavor, salt substitute, epsom salt, baking soda.

And yeah.. I feel totally fine. No hunger at all since I had my first cup of broth at around 10:30? (give or take)
    If I'm still feeling good tomorrow, I may go another day... maybe even until Friday's meal of the day. I don't want to get too ahead of myself though. I may feel like butt tomorrow lol.

Need to go see what's in the freezer so I can plan a really good first meal after this.

So happy this worked out! I'll report back in tomorrow on my weight. Right before my first cup today, I was at 173.6
  • mistymeadows2005
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the warm welcome. :)

It's coming up on 6pm and I'm letting my last cup of broth cool off. Accidentally added too much salt to it so I had to blend it in with the batch of broth I'm currently making. Whoops.

I've had 4 coffee cups of bone broth today (more like 3.5). 3 were chicken and this last one is beef.

Chicken ones were made with chicken feet. Lots and lots of weird chicken feet. Or as Walmart likes to call them... Chicken Paws. lol

To all the cups I added, bouillon to mask that weird bone broth flavor, salt substitute, epsom salt, baking soda.

And yeah.. I feel totally fine. No hunger at all since I had my first cup of broth at around 10:30? (give or take)
    If I'm still feeling good tomorrow, I may go another day... maybe even until Friday's meal of the day. I don't want to get too ahead of myself though. I may feel like butt tomorrow lol.

Need to go see what's in the freezer so I can plan a really good first meal after this.

So happy this worked out! I'll report back in tomorrow on my weight. Right before my first cup today, I was at 173.6

MEH, if you're fine now, you'll be physically fine tomorrow...the mental hunger might kick your a** though LOL - if you feel fine mentally, rock and roll! :)

PS - your walmart sells chicken feet?! I WISH! NOT FAIR!
  • LiLee2018
    MEH, if you're fine now, you'll be physically fine tomorrow...the mental hunger might kick your a** though LOL - if you feel fine mentally, rock and roll! :)

PS - your walmart sells chicken feet?! I WISH! NOT FAIR!

I'm hoping that will be the case and I can breeze through tomorrow. I just hope for no sick kids and better sleep tonight lol.
    Yeah, that mental hunger is still something I'm dealing with when just doing OMAD. Although it was a lot easier yesterday than the first week. Reeeeeeally hoping that doing this little side track of bone broth doesn't screw up the progress I made with OMADing lol.

I was shocked when I saw that walmart sold it too lol. AND they're super cheap. Less than $2 a pack. I think I used about 4 packs for my last batch :)
    They've also started selling a lot of other offal stuff too which I'm kind of curious about. I love watching food travel vlogs on youtube, especially when they go to Asia. Lots of yummy looking dishes that use tripe and whatnot that I might one day be brave enough to give a shot lol.

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi, Lisa! Welcome!
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I am not sure I would be brave enough to do chicken feet :) but glad it is working for you!!! Keep up the good work!!!
  • mistymeadows2005
    I am not sure I would be brave enough to do chicken feet :) but glad it is working for you!!! Keep up the good work!!!

I have to check now b/c chicken feet are one of my faves for broth - if I find 'em I'm buying 'em ALL up!

Donna, in broth they just taste like chicken...extra gelatin and connective tissue give the broth more body :) I ALSO happen to like just eating chicken feet, but that's more of an acquired taste LOL

Lisa, a bone broth fast will no derail your OMADing at all, as long as you're conscious not to binge when you break your fast :)
  • LiLee2018

Lol... I'm not brave enough to eat them, I just use them in my bone broth :)
    Speaking of chicken feet.... or as Walmart calls them
    pn0abh0bbhxo.jpg
    ROFL... seriously? B/c that makes them sound more appetizing or something??

I also got tripe.. honeycomb one? I didn't know what the difference was between that and the other bigger one they had. I'll have to look it up. It's a bit intimidating buying something like that, but it won't hurt to try it out at least. And if it's gross and I hate it, I'll only be out about $7.

My bone broth is done too. Broke my fast just a little bit ago with it and it's pretty delicious. I seasoned it up a little too much with salt, but that's easily fixed. It tasted great though. Doesn't have that weird funk that my very first batch had.
    e7ibtfg850dk.jpg
    I used beef neck bones, 1.5 super tough chuck steaks, 2 shank steaks, chicken bouillon, turmeric, half an onion, and some garlic powder.
    I took as much of the meat out as I could after it cooked for a few hours to use in a soup later :) Maybe Friday night!

So anywho...
    I weighed right before my bone broth and....
    172.8! Woot!
    Monday I was 174.6 :)
    So hopefully this means my stall has officially been broken! What I consider my official weigh in day is monday so we'll see what it is then.

I feel great today though so far. I do think hunger may be more of an issue today than it was yesterday, but I think I am going to try to go all day with just bone broth again. If there is more struggle today, I have plenty of broth to go through so I'll just drink more of it. I am really enjoying it and I think my body could definitely use the extra collagen right now. I know my gut could definitely use this long rest too.

• mistymeadows2005

Lol... I'm not brave enough to eat them, I just use them in my bone broth :)
    Speaking of chicken feet.... or as Walmart calls them
    pn0abh0bbhxo.jpg
    ROFL... seriously? B/c that makes them sound more appetizing or something??

I also got tripe.. honeycomb one? I didn't know what the difference was between that and the other bigger one they had. I'll have to look it up. It's a bit intimidating buying something like that, but it won't hurt to try it out at least. And if it's gross and I hate it, I'll only be out about $7.

My bone broth is done too. Broke my fast just a little bit ago with it and it's pretty delicious. I seasoned it up a little too much with salt, but that's easily fixed. It tasted great though. Doesn't have that weird funk that my very first batch had.
    e7ibtfg850dk.jpg
    I used beef neck bones, 1.5 super tough chuck steaks, 2 shank steaks, chicken bouillon, turmeric, half an onion, and some garlic powder.
    I took as much of the meat out as I could after it cooked for a few hours to use in a soup later :) Maybe Friday night!

So anywho...
    I weighed right before my bone broth and....
    172.8! Woot!
    Monday I was 174.6 :)
    So hopefully this means my stall has officially been broken! What I consider my official weigh in day is monday so we'll see what it is then.

I feel great today though so far. I do think hunger may be more of an issue today than it was yesterday, but I think I am going to try to go all day with just bone broth again. If there is more struggle today, I have plenty of broth to go through so I'll just drink more of it. I am really enjoying it and I think my body could definitely use the extra collagen right now. I know my gut could definitely use this long rest too.

Great loss babe! Sounds like the bone broth is treating you well! I LIVE AND BREATH by bone broth, I tell ya LOL - anywho, as long as the mental hunger stays at bay, the broth should keep away all the physical hunger :)

I'm praying to find those chicken feet! HONEYCOMB TRIPE?!?!? SERIOUSLY! SO JEALOUS! Where is this magical Walmart?! I love ALL tripe, but honeycomb is great because it's little pockets hold all the soup or sauce or what have ya :)
  • LiLee2018
    Great loss babe! Sounds like the bone broth is treating you well! I LIVE AND BREATH by bone broth, I tell ya LOL - anywho, as long as the mental hunger stays at bay, the broth should keep away all the physical hunger :)

I'm praying to find those chicken feet! HONEYCOMB TRIPE?!?!? SERIOUSLY! SO JEALOUS! Where is this magical Walmart?! I love ALL tripe, but honeycomb is great because it's little pockets hold all the soup or sauce or what have ya :)

Thanks :) Glad to hear from someone that likes tripe. Makes me hopeful that I'll like it too.

Lol, we usually don't grocery shop at Walmart, but since finding out they carry the chicken feet, I go to pick that up and I guess this other stuff too if I like it. The Kroger we shop at doesn't carry any of this stuff. Sometimes they'll have pig's feet, but it's rare. I'm in the south (SC) and I know I can't be the only one wanting this stuff too so I dunno why they don't carry it more often. /shrugs
    If you have a local Mexican grocery store, they'd probably carry it. Or go to a more rural area grocery store. There's an IGA a few miles from me that's in a more country county that also carries chicken feet and whatnot. I know some healthy food markets like Whole Food, Earth Faire (if you have one in your area), stores like that may also sell things like that too. Or a local butcher even. I'm sure a good butcher could order some for you if you ever wanted it :)

But yeah... looking through some other journals.. Mine is a mess! lol Everyone's updates are all neat and easy to read. I think I'll do that next time. /nodnod

• LiLee2018
    4pm update..
    Still feeling pretty good. I've had 4c of bone broth so far today and my hunger is definitely increased too. About to go drink more and then chug on some water. I really want to fast until dinner tomorrow night.
    Getting through tonight will be no problem, but tomorrow is another story.
    Still feeling good though!
  • mistymeadows2005
    A little caffeine tomorrow should help ya get through! :)

They don't have ANY of that stuff up here in MI :( My fam and fiance are from the south so it's so weird that we don't have any! Even my butcher doesn't have chicken feet OR trotters! They can't even order them! Even chicken necks and beef knuckles are only available randomly :(

Maybe that'll change, but for now, I go with chicken quarter bones *sigh*
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Your broth sounds delicious! I'm impressed by the duration of your fast.
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,111 Member
    Hi there and a huge welcome <3
    I love bone broth too... I am a little naughty when it come to bone broth. Sometimes, I tend to convert it into a vegetable soup which I will have with my OMAD. :+1:
  • LiLee2018
    misty- Boo that sucks :( Maybe there's a local farm that sells that type of thing? Gotta be something somewhere up there lol. But hey... you work with what you got right?

asgentr- I'm definitely going to do another bone broth fast. I enjoyed it SO much and I definitely think I could go much longer. I know some folks would probably be sick of it by the end of the first day or 2, but I'm sitting here wishing I could have more of it. lol

jadepearl- I plan on using some for a soup tonight :) Using it in a veggie soup sounds delish!
  • LiLee2018
    Alrighty... Woo boy. Just had my first whiff of tripe and... wow. I can see why it intimidates some folks. It smells exactly like you'd imagine a barn yard animal smells. VERY strongly of just that smell. You smell it and you're just like "Yep.. that came from an animal on a farm."
    I've washed my hands 3 times now and it still smells like it.. lol ew. I was not prepared for that!
    There are little pockets of that smell all over the house now lol.
    Febreze!! SAVE ME!!

Also prepared some split pig's feet too. Those things can have a funk too and you MUST look in between the toes for hairs that weren't removed. Didn't do that in the past and while chowing down on some, bit down in to a thick patch a bristly hair. BLARGH! Felt like if you licked a man's face after he didn't shave for a week. /shudder

I'm boiling it all for a 2nd time now with some vinegar in it. Going to dump it in about 30min, rinse and boil again in clean water and hopefully that gets rid of the smell so my soup tonight doesn't take on that smell.
    From what I've read, I should've soaked it in vinegar to begin with a few times. Oh welp. Hopefully this way works too.

Oh AND... no more bone broth fasting. Back to good ole OMADing. I WILL be doing bone broth fast again though. Not this coming week b/c I want to see what results I get from JUST OMAD. But the week after? I'm gonna say yes unless something comes up.

I started the bone broth at 174lbs and ended it at 171.6 a few hours ago. WOOT!
  • mistymeadows2005
    Alrighty... Woo boy. Just had my first whiff of tripe and... wow. I can see why it intimidates some folks. It smells exactly like you'd imagine a barn yard animal smells. VERY strongly of just that smell. You smell it and you're just like "Yep.. that came from an animal on a farm."
    I've washed my hands 3 times now and it still smells like it.. lol ew. I was not prepared for that!
    There are little pockets of that smell all over the house now lol.
    Febreze!! SAVE ME!!

Also prepared some split pig's feet too. Those things can have a funk too and you MUST look in between the toes for hairs that weren't removed. Didn't do that in the past and while chowing down on some, bit down in to a thick patch a bristly hair. BLARGH! Felt like if you licked a man's face after he didn't shave for a week. /shudder

I'm boiling it all for a 2nd time now with some vinegar in it. Going to dump it in about 30min, rinse and boil again in clean water and hopefully that gets rid of the smell so my soup tonight doesn't take on that smell.
    From what I've read, I should've soaked it in vinegar to begin with a few times. Oh welp. Hopefully this way works too.

Oh AND... no more bone broth fasting. Back to good ole OMADing. I WILL be doing bone broth fast again though. Not this coming week b/c I want to see what results I get from JUST OMAD. But the week after? I'm gonna say yes unless something comes up.

I started the bone broth at 174lbs and ended it at 171.6 a few hours ago. WOOT!

NICE! A solid few pounds in a couple of days! :)

Glad you enjoyed the experience! Back to OMAD! :)