Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How would you feel about a robot preparing your food?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Oh, please, install one in my kitchen! With programmable recipes!

I hate cooking so much.

ETA: Do you think it does dishes, too?!? :o

That was my first thought!
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Quite a few restaurants only assemble foods/plate these days Many of the ingredients come preprepared anyway A lot of these prepped foods are already made in highly automated factories anyway and thus it would only be the net step to install robots/automation in a restaurant.

But I love cooking and therefore for me not in my own kitchen please
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    All I ask is that a very responsible person is in charge of keeping it clean each day. I'm fine with it other than that.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with this.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the robot didn't sneeze on my food.

Well, for one reason, some people think it will take jobs away from actual humans.

Fighting increased productivity from mechanization has been a lost cause for at least 250 years.

This sentence is the perfect opening for an epic sci-fi novel! ;)
  • RunsWithBees
    I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea for fast food/convenience food

Would rather have a skilled chef prepare something complex, high end, seasonal, out-of the ordinary, etc. though if I were paying big bucks @ a restaurant though. Also, the human factor is there when someone makes a special request say because of food allergies/intolerances, religious dietary restrictions, etc.

I expect you would get better adherence to those kinds of requests through a well-designed ordering interface and a robotic food preparer than you would in the average restaurant with servers and kitchen staff who may or may not be well trained in those issues.

Yea, half the time the humans get my order wrong at fast food joints, how hard is it to do “no mayo, extra pickles”?! :D:D:D
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Given the automation that already exists in food processing, I don't really have an issue with this. I would, however, expect to pay less in this situation (I'm assuming human wages are more expensive than dealing with robot maintenance).
  • aokoye

Would rather have a skilled chef prepare something complex, high end, seasonal, out-of the ordinary, etc. though if I were paying big bucks @ a restaurant though. Also, the human factor is there when someone makes a special request say because of food allergies/intolerances, religious dietary restrictions, etc.

My only worry about this is that you would need to heavily clean the robot when dealing with food allergies. I suspect it'd be easier and more efficient to deal with that issue when food is being made by a person than when it's being made with a robot.
  • RunsWithBees
    aokoye wrote: »
    Given the automation that already exists in food processing, I don't really have an issue with this. I would, however, expect to pay less in this situation (I'm assuming human wages are more expensive than dealing with robot maintenance).

At Creator they do have low prices compared to other places in the city. A $6 burger (made of grassfed beef & locally grown produce) and $3 sides, not bad for San Francisco!
  • aokoye
    I just realized, I'm pretty sure this has been a thing in some restaurants in Japan for some time now. I remember watching an episode of Japanology on NHK a while ago that showed a sushi restaurant where the sushi was made primarily through automation.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Oh, please, install one in my kitchen! With programmable recipes!

I hate cooking so much.

ETA: Do you think it does dishes, too?!? :o

A woman after my own <3 . Let's share the robot and teach it how to weight and log the food too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

My only worry about this is that you would need to heavily clean the robot when dealing with food allergies. I suspect it'd be easier and more efficient to deal with that issue when food is being made by a person than when it's being made with a robot.

Simple: Disposable coverings for any robotic surfaces that come in contact with food.
  • xena80s
    xena80s Posts: 18 Member
    I wouldn't eat there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Makes great sense from a quality control perspective. Eliminates the possibility of human error for a consistent product every time.

Funny thing is these burgers have more of a “handmade look” to them than those from a chain restaurant where a person assembles them :D

This reminds me of a randomizer program applied to manufacturing to simulate "imperfections" so that product appeared as if these were handmade.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I wouldn’t mind, it makes me cringe knowing that someone is preparing my food without gloves I always picture their knuckle hairs getting into my food.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    I think automation has grave consequences for our society without some kind of UBI but yes, I would eat the burger.
  • How would I feel? Brilliant.