Breakfast

I’m getting on well with my lunch and dinner calories but struggling to get something low calorie for breakfast

Replies

• joannegustyn1971
    joannegustyn1971 Posts: 50 Member
    I eat either 2 eggs cooked in olive oil or cooking spray OR a smoothie for 320 calories.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    How many calories?

Most of my breakfasts are 300-400 calories and are enough for eggs and toast, overnight oats, cereal with fruit, eggs on potato with plain yogurt and salsa, avocado toast, an egg and cheese sandwich, yogurt with fruit, honey and toast.
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    I personally find heavy breakfasts makes some people feel lazier during the day (think of the post-Thanksgiving-dinner feeling). I much prefer to eat my main meal later in the afternoon or in the evening, between 3PM to 6PM or anytime after work, which for me on most days is after 2:30PM.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    3 large hardboiled eggs with a cup of pineapple on the side is less than 300 calories.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I have raw rolled oats and fruit in skim milk 6 days a week, but tomorrow being Sunday I'll have 3 scrambled eggs on 3oz of fried deli ham drizzled with Sriracha. 400 calories.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    How many calories are you trying to get for breakfast?

I have nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with chocolate PB2, chocolate protein powder, and fiber cereal. Thin with milk or water if needed. My portion is about 300 calories and lots of protein and fiber.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited March 2019
    How low do you want?

When losing weight I varied from 2 eggs + veg + spray/spritzer oil (about 200-250 cal) to 2 eggs + veg + feta + either greek yogurt or cottage cheese or smoked salmon or fruit (sometimes half an avocado), all of which can result in about 350 cal.

For me at 1500-1600, 350-400 cal is about what I prefer for breakfast, but the original (when I was at 1250 cal) is also plenty filling for me.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    I'll often toast a Franz English muffin (120 calories) and mash a small Hass avocado on top (about 60g ~ 100 calories) - avocado toast! Comes in at 220 calories. Plus a large black coffee... that's less than 230 calories.

If I'm trying to do less calories, or more protein, I'll poach an egg (around 70 calories) and put that on the muffin instead of avocado. Less than 200 calories.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    My breakfast every morning is the same, and logs in at 289 calories.

2 eggs
    1 large flat mushroom
    50g trout
    -- all fried in the same pan with 10 sprays of frylight olive oil
    2 satsumas or clementines
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Proper portion control is still a bit of a problem for me. I am not a big breakfast eater. Dinner is always a family affair around the table - the only time of day where the family can get together. I have tried different options and I am happiest with 3 main meals a day and a snack / treat. So I have divided my daily calories as calculated by MFP (weight loss) into: about 250 cal. for breakfast, about 450 calories for lunch, about 750 calories for dinner and about 300 calories for a little snack / treat. On days I do exercise, I can eat a bit more. I have been trying out this system for a month now and it works for me.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Three whole eggs, egg whites, two pieces of turkey bacon, avocado toast
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member

2 eggs
    1 large flat mushroom
    50g trout

Captain America is my favorite avenger.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    mdreddie wrote: »

2 eggs
    1 large flat mushroom
    50g trout

Captain America is my favorite avenger.

Quite right too! He’s definitely my fave :)
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Avocado toast. Egg whites and turkey bacon or sausage. A protein shake or fruit smoothie. Oatmeal and berries. Kashi go lean with almond milk.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Poached eggs and a buttered english muffin. ~250 calories.

tj4egcnx1q2e.jpeg
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like Organic Heritage Flakes cereal mixed with Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. 280 calories, 12.7 grams of fiber, 20.3 grams of protein. You can halve the portion sizes to reduce calories while still getting good amounts of fiber and protein.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Ocernight oatmeal is pretty low, made with large flake oats (it takes longer to diggest for 130 cal) unsweetened plant base milk (like almond milk) (20 cal) and greek yogurt (70 cal). I like mine with berries (about 50 cal) and maple syrop (another 50 cal) , but you could use flavored greek yogurt and skip the syrop.

A toast (about 100 cal) with sauteed veggies (like spinach, mushroom, bell pepper, etc. And some spices like garlic powder, chili powder...) (90 cal including half a teaspoon of oil) and a poach egg (70cal).

I like apple sandwich, but you could make it open face: a toast (about 100 cal - try cinnamon raison bread here, it’s amazing), with peanut butter (90cal) and half an apple thinly sliced on top (50 cal).

A few years back, i was really into breakfast salad: big bed of greens and veggie (about 100 cal), 1 egg (70 cal) and roasted cube sweet potato (about half a cup for 50-100 cal - don’t even bother with oil, just roast a big batch with no oil or seasoning and keep in the fridge all week) and lemon juice as dressing.

Some cereal are alos pretty good: special k is 110 cal per serving. I used to do 1.5 serving with fruit and almond milk, for under 300 cal, but I didn’t have that in a while, it might have changed.

Sweet potato toast is also great: slice a sweet potato about 1/4 inch think and pop in the toaster (it might burn a bit, but it’s great!) (about 70-100 cal), top with 1 egg (70) and some veggies (50-100 cal including oil to sauté)

Finally smooties are always great: frozen fruit for about 150-200 calls, greek yogurt (70 cal) and plant based milk (20 cal).
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    for breakfast...I just have leftovers. Maybe put them together with something breafasty, like if there was curry the night before, could have curried eggs for breakfast.

But if you have the calories down well for lunch and dinner, then having leftovers of them will leave you in a good spot to still be doing well for calories, you know?
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have a toasted whole wheat English muffin with 1/4 tbsp of butter and top it with an egg and cheese. I scramble an egg in a ramekin, microwave for 30 seconds, stir, top with 2 tbsp of shredded cheese, and microwave for another 10 seconds then let sit for a minute to let the cheese melt. It has about 280 calories and keeps me full until lunch. That is, if I eat breakfast. Most days I just have a cup of coffee. I'm not usually hungry in the morning and would rather save the calories for dinner.