Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patties

nocgirl72
nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
I’ve not had any sausage is 3 months or anything. I’m getting kind of bored with chicken , eggs, turkey burgers not to mention I need to limit my protein due mild kidney issues. My trainer says no to turkey sausage because it’s processed and all the crap in it.

I had 1 patty tonight mixed in with egg whites, laughing cow light wedge, salsa In a low carb high fiber tortilla. It was delicious. My side was sliced cucumbers and hummus.

How bad is it? A lot of dieters at work eat it. I’ve said no until tonight !

Replies

• renaerussell18
    renaerussell18 Posts: 31 Member
    I suppose you could make your own sausage, it isn't hard (and you don't need casings, just meat and spices) if that makes your trainer happy. :D
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    All sausage is processed, it's not a bad thing. Frankly most of the food you eat is processed (including that laughing cow cheese). I'd say just eat the sausage assuming it doesn't put you over your limit for protein.
  • nocgirl72
    She’s not a dietician but she is about eating clean and avoiding processed foods. I’ve done well on her list of foods I can eat but still deviate a little within reason. I miss some things.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Just curious, what’s her definition of “clean”, because it’s definitely open to interpretation.
    People should listen to advice, take it into consideration, research and educate yourself, and do what works for you. No one knows you better than you.
    I eat turkey sausage for the lower calorie benefit than pork sausage.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    I’ve not had any sausage is 3 months or anything. I’m getting kind of bored with chicken , eggs, turkey burgers not to mention I need to limit my protein due mild kidney issues. My trainer says no to turkey sausage because it’s processed and all the crap in it.

I had 1 patty tonight mixed in with egg whites, laughing cow light wedge, salsa In a low carb high fiber tortilla. It was delicious. My side was sliced cucumbers and hummus.

I'm a little confused why, if you "need to limit [your] protein due to mild kidney issues," you're combining four protein sources in one meal. Other than that, it seems fine, assuming you're getting more vegetables and/or fruits in other meals.

I didn't catch the kidney issue part. I thought in that situation you were supposed to break up your daily protein requirements so that you don't have too much in one meal. I might be totally wrong though because, like the trainer, I am not a healthcare professional.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I'm a little confused why, if you "need to limit [your] protein due to mild kidney issues," you're combining four protein sources in one meal. Other than that, it seems fine, assuming you're getting more vegetables and/or fruits in other meals.

I didn't catch the kidney issue part. I thought in that situation you were supposed to break up your daily protein requirements so that you don't have too much in one meal. I might be totally wrong though because, like the trainer, I am not a healthcare professional.

I'm not a healthcare professional either. I was just going by OP's own description of needing to limit protein. The meal described doesn't seem well-designed for a per-meal limit. Of course, we'd need to know what OP's limit is.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    If you have kidney issues or any other kind of medical condition/medication that could adversely affected by your diet, I would be talking to an actual dietitian and your doctor, not a trainer. Even if the trainer claims to be a "nutritionist".
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,393 Member
    I went to a cooking class and the woman gave us a stupidly crazy easy way to make “turkey sausage”. Just take ground turkey, mix in the seasonings if your choice, let it absorb the herbs overnight, and brown the next morning.

It was quite good, tasted like sausage and was one of those enlightening “wow!” moments that makes me wish I could take more cooking classes.

I use Herbes de Provence, but that’s my go to for everything from roasted vegetables to baked chicken. It’s a very versatile, fragrant mix.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Turkey sausage is typically quite a bit leaner than other sausage, but still decently high fat (so not quite so protein dense as people might think if they haven't checked the nutritional info). I usually buy it when I need to add fat to an otherwise too lean soup.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    There is nothing wrong with incorporating sausage in your diet. I just look for a "healthier" option. I buy a big bag of these at Costco for like $12. No MSG, Sugar, Nitrates or Nitrites and no hormones. Best thing is there are already fulled cooked, so it takes zero work to add them to a meal. And they taste delicious!

5ofm9sducgc8.jpg
  • nocgirl72
    BTW I went to Costco to look for these and couldn't find them :( I looked everywhere. Several brands of turkey and pork sausage but not these.

tmpecus78 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with incorporating sausage in your diet. I just look for a "healthier" option. I buy a big bag of these at Costco for like $12. No MSG, Sugar, Nitrates or Nitrites and no hormones. Best thing is there are already fulled cooked, so it takes zero work to add them to a meal. And they taste delicious!

5ofm9sducgc8.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

There's nothing wrong with it...there's also nothing wrong with eating something besides chicken or turkey burgers. You can eat an actual hamburger if you want. Do you know the difference between 93% ground turkey and 93% ground beef? Nothing.
  • NovusDies
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with it...there's also nothing wrong with eating something besides chicken or turkey burgers. You can eat an actual hamburger if you want. Do you know the difference between 93% ground turkey and 93% ground beef? Nothing.

I think there are a couple of differences.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

The nutritional differences are so minor as to be negligible...but everyone seems to think turkey this or that is so much healthier and when you look at labels, there really isn't anything more than what I would consider very negligible differences...certainly nothing that would make me give up grilling a tasty hamburger out on my patio.
  • NovusDies

The nutritional differences are so minor as to be negligible...but everyone seems to think turkey this or that is so much healthier and when you look at labels, there really isn't anything more than what I would consider very negligible differences...certainly nothing that would make me give up grilling a tasty hamburger out on my patio.

I was just being difficult. I know what you meant.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Yep... It's usually easier (at least the places I shop) to find 93/7 ground beef. Some of the places only have 85/15 ground poultry, but will have leaner ground beef.