Cancelled WW, New to MFP

So I cancelled my subscription to WW today, not really because it didn’t work but more because I wasn’t consistent with tracking and found that I was just giving away 20 dollars each month. I have issues with staying motivated and definitely have problems with over eating. I have tried lots of fad diets to include Atkins, Keto, 21 day fix and of course WW. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of what I need to do to lose weight, but I have such a hard time sticking with it! Why do I think MFP will be different? Well I can’t say that it will. I love that it is free, I do enjoy tracking what I eat, I love food prepping, and I NEED support from others! I am hoping to find a group of supportive people who want to help each other with motivation and food ideas! I love sharing recipes and prep ideas! I plan to just kind of play with the app over the next week to get use to how it all works! Any like minded folks wanna team up for support?

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    I did WW years ago. When I first joined MFP, I felt it was cumbersome to log into the computer to record my meals. But now that I have a smart phone with the app, it's pretty easy and convenient. I've been very regular at tracking since I re-started this in December. I hope you like it & benefit from it.
  • newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    I lost a lot of weight on WW. A real lot. I liked the support and I thought that the plan WAS realistic. That was back when it was basically 40 calories = 1 point. Then they jacked up the program, screwed up the website and lost me and a bunch of other people. This site is better for tracking etc., I'm not sold on the forums here. They don't seem real focused.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    I agree about the forums. Majority of it is the "chit chat" section. I found a couple of groups on topics of significance to me, but they are not very active at all. It seems like if you post a question, though, someone will reply.
  • AvianDB
    AvianDB Posts: 56 Member
    newmantjn wrote: »
    I lost a lot of weight on WW. A real lot. I liked the support and I thought that the plan WAS realistic. That was back when it was basically 40 calories = 1 point. Then they jacked up the program, screwed up the website and lost me and a bunch of other people. This site is better for tracking etc., I'm not sold on the forums here. They don't seem real focused.

The ones on reddit (r/fitness, r/loseit, r/1200isplenty, etc) are pretty good for weight loss! The forums on here aren’t as active, but adding a lot of friends keeps your wall buzzing!
  • newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    I might have to check out Reddit then. I believe I read once that the keys to a successful program include accountability, a support group and tracking (with a livable program). At the time WW provided all three to me in their on-line version. GOAD was my go to group for support.

They really blew the whole thing up about 2-3 years ago. My wife is doing it and cannot stay on the program, as it isn't livable. But, she keeps forking the money over. They love her.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I agree WW is time consuming. I only log my food M-F weekends I can't be bothered. I do make some healthy choices on weekends but, not consistently. Oh well.
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    I've been using MFP for years. My favorite thing is the bar code reader! You can bleep and put a meal together in no time. You can add me as a friend.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    AvianDB wrote: »
    newmantjn wrote: »

The ones on reddit (r/fitness, r/loseit, r/1200isplenty, etc) are pretty good for weight loss! The forums on here aren’t as active, but adding a lot of friends keeps your wall buzzing!

The main forums are pretty active on MFP, the user created sub-groups are a bit quieter though.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    I like MFP so far, particularly the recipe calorie estimator tool. For some accountability, I join monthly challenges thread to lose X amount of pounds each month. It's nice to follow other people's journey and see their struggles/successes in losing weight throughout the month.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like this app better than the WW app (although I am a WW member). This app actually requires more consistent logging but will allow you to eat basically anything you want as long as it fits into your calorie budget. You can do it!
  • JessK0629
    JessK0629 Posts: 1 Member
    I could have written this myself. I just canceled my subscription to WW this morning. I have had success counting calories in the past and I like the freedom of eating anything within reason and within my caloric budget. I was getting burnt out on WW overall and I felt so much better once I hit that cancel button!
  • nursesarah328
    nursesarah328 Posts: 1 Member
    Lost weight using this after each pregnancy- but I’ve been letting the lbs sneak up on me this winter... ready for summer!!
  • 2011mathematical
    2011mathematical Posts: 92 Member
    I canccelled my WW subscription this week. Back to MFP for me!
  • BellaB1363
    BellaB1363 Posts: 249 Member
    I joined WW 2 years ago and lost about 35lbs. Then they changed the program to the new one ... and I hated it. So I quit. Gained back the 35lbs. Now have been on MFP for 33 days, and have lost 11.4lbs. So much easier to follow.
  • nattysmommy2008
    nattysmommy2008 Posts: 26 Member
    Same here everyone!! I was really struggling with WW, I’ve liked the freedom of MFP so far! I’d like more friends if anyone wants to add me 😊
  • charmedsooner
    charmedsooner Posts: 20 Member
    I like the principles of WW (i.e., eat more fruits, veggies, and lean protein) but calculating points does get cumbersome at times. It's much easier to track calories. I also dislike the way WW penalizes healthy fats such as avocado and nuts the same as unhealthy ones.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    I did WW a long time ago, and it seemed like you needed "recipe ideas" to eat as much as possible with the fewest points possible, sort of gaming the system.
    You don't have to do that here - eat what you want and keeps you feeling full and happy, and log it. There's nothing to trick.
    I find reading the forums very helpful for information and just to know others have the same issues I have. :)
    Welcome and good luck!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    I was a WW member on and off for years, but around 2016 I (finally) realized that trying to find someone or something external to myself to make weight loss happen is a waste of time, energy and money. There is no magic involved and it can be a slog, but it's up to us, not WW or anybody else to do it. The most annoying thing is to pay them when you're not losing weight, LOL. I hate to admit it but I'm addicted to watching My 600 lb Life. It's really interesting that all the people who want weight loss surgery are required to lose a lot of weight - sometimes 100+ lbs - on their own before they can have the surgery. I'm always amazed that even knowing they've been successful doing that they go ahead with the surgery. As Glinda the Good With would say, “You had the power all along, my dear."
  • ethosian72
    ethosian72 Posts: 2 Member
    I have been doing WW since October and lost 20lbs in a few months. I stalled weight loss in November despite tracking, drinking water etc. I can’t tell if my body just like being a little over weight, or if WW isn’t the right fit for me. I started tracking calories and WW points. I’m still figuring it out, but I need to find a way to move past being afraid of food and feeling guilty about eating because I just can’t seem to shake this last 10-15 pounds. I put it to cancel my WW as well, I’m overthinking everything and feeling like a failure. My NSV is that my blood pressure is perfect and I’m in much better shape, I just need to keep plugging away.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    AvianDB wrote: »

Just discovered those. They are very active and have tons of useful info, challenges, etc. There's also a 1500isplenty sub R.