Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• I’m on the fence about it. I think it sounds great for people with epilepsy and similar issues.

Whether or not it helps you to lose weight depends on whether or not you’re in a calorie deficit.

Personally, I’m not interested in eating that way, so there’s no point. I’m in an endometriosis group, and some women in there swear by it in terms of how they feel it helps their symptoms, so it’s certainly something I follow with interest. But I haven’t heard any solid reasons to sway me to try it.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    Science has also found that a diet high in saturated fat is directly related to higher incidence of colon cancer, and that high consumption of red meat plays a large role. As someone with a high risk based on family history I would never in my life consider keto. It is not the right path for everyone.

Most of these so called studies are with high-fat-induced obesity models.

Here's a good oncology study: https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/full/10.2217/fon-2017-0578
    While several animal and cell culture studies point to a direct role of dietary fats in increasing colonic cell proliferation and associated risks [10–12], interpretations from population studies are more complex and inconsistent. For example, a retrospective study showed no risk association between high and low animal fat intake in a meta-analysis [13].
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2019
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Science has also found that a diet high in saturated fat is directly related to higher incidence of colon cancer, and that high consumption of red meat plays a large role. As someone with a high risk based on family history I would never in my life consider keto. It is not the right path for everyone.

I'm afraid that this is not correct.

Processed meats like bacon are found to to correlate with a 20% increased risk of colon cancer, which means that the risk rises from 5 to 6%.

A diet high is saturated fat has NOT been found to cause colon cancer, nor does it correlate to increased risk. The meat preservatives appear to be the problem, and not the meat. Saying that saturated fat is the problem is incorrect, but it is mainly the fault of poor journalism or those with an anti meat agenda.

But, if you do have evidence that saturated fat causes cancer, please share it. As someone who eats a lot if red meat, I would be curious to read it

I think with the exception of transfat, this can literally be said about everything. Science suggest correlations because all of this is multifaceted. Its no different than the stuff you say about refined carbs. Because one can consume lots of them and still become metabolically healthy.

Its why all diets produce similar results. The difference between all of these diets is minimal.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    And I think you could make a reasonable argument that your activity level and state of mind will have an equal if not a more profound affect on your health than almost any food choices you make. So pick a diet that sounds realistic and satisfying to you, be mindful of making healthy choices within that diet, get up off your heinie and keep your blood pumping if you are physically able, and get a checkup every once and awhile. That's good :smile:

This about sums it up quite nicely...

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Essentially, while the correlations of SFA and CHD are low or not founded, you still see improved health when replacing SFA with other nutrients like PUFAs or whole grains.
    What are SFA and PUFAs?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Essentially, while the correlations of SFA and CHD are low or not founded, you still see improved health when replacing SFA with other nutrients like PUFAs or whole grains.
    What are SFA and PUFAs?

Saturated Fatty Acids and Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

What are SFA and PUFAs?

Saturated Fatty Acids and Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids.

Ah, ok thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.