Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

If money was no issue... organic.

Replies

• AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 12,784Member Member Posts: 12,784Member Member
    I already prefer to buy some things organic (out of an excess of caution about hormones in animal protein, and how those affect or don't affect metastatic recurrence of the hormone-fed type of cancer I had - neither I nor the cancer center RD could find helpful research about this, at the time).

Also, I think organic cabbage tastes better, bizarrely (most other things I don't notice a difference). Some of the general produce I buy is organic because I like shopping the local farmers' markets (higher quality, fresher) and it happens to be organic. Because I'm vegetarian, I do some shopping at a local health-food-ish store and a tiny bit at Whole Foods for specialty and bulk products, so I will buy some things on the same trip that are organic because that's what's there (gas for driving around would outweigh the minor food cost difference).

As a single person who's also vegetarian and retired, I cook most of my own food from scratch, and (although very far from wealthy), I feel very, very fortunate not to have to worry about food costs super much already, because my preferences are fairly affordable. If I were wealthy, I'd probably buy more boats and a fancy banjo, maybe eat out more, but I don't think my grocery shopping would change much. Well, maybe Humboldt Fog more often, and in bigger chunks. ;)

ETA: I avoid buying organic broccoli because of an irrational dislike of flea beetles.
    edited March 26
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 1,581Member Member Posts: 1,581Member Member
    Probably would buy organic, and spend the money if I had it, if I could be 100% sure it was organic. Problem is, organic vs conventional farming can overlap. Chemicals seep into water supplies used by both. Air contaminates rain down on both. Serious question. How can you be absolutely sure organic is safer? They are certified, but how can you be sure nothing from runoff gets into water supplies used by organic farming methods.
  • MomeproMomepro Posts: 1,501Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,501Member, Premium Member
    If money was no issue, I'd probably have a personal chef do my cooking and shopping anyhow, and probably get more food at Farmers Markets. Otherwise nah, if organic is the same price as non, I'll get it, otherwise not wirried about it. And GMO doesn't bother me at all. In fact, often I just think it's really cool that they exist, because genetic science is fascinating and cool to me.
  • MomeproMomepro Posts: 1,501Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,501Member, Premium Member
    Also...
    Nothing can compare to this reigning champion of ugly wedding gowns!
    Although I'm not sure how organic it is :D

3t9u2llbij8o.jpg
    edited March 26
  • HamsibianHamsibian Posts: 1,390Member Member Posts: 1,390Member Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    This is just my opinion. So, take it for what it's worth. I worked as Chef for many years before my retirement and worked with many producers, organic and not in my buying. The whole thing of pesticide residue is an issue. Glyphosphate (roundup) is toxic and conventional farmers use it all the time.

The last restaurant I ran was part of a small regional organic and natural foods chain that focused on utilizing local suppliers within a 150 mile radius. While some of the products we used were certified organic, some were from small farms that produced to organic standards but were too small to afford the expensive certification process. Our buying group would vet the sources.

We just don't know the long term impacts of the widespread pesticide and chemical fertilizers that are used in conventional farming. For me, I will make the choice to buy local and organic whenever I can and I don't see it as a financial choice. It's just my choice and I pay whatever that choice costs. For produce, is can be anywhere from a 10% to a 50% premium.

The higher cost items are typically the organically raised meats. I bought a beef share from a local farmer and it was a great deal. Not only was this farmer a friend but I knew his Angus cows too. I know where and how there were raised. In a market, people would have to pay 2x what I paid. Those deals are out there if you have time to find them.

Hormone free chicken is also important to me. And that is about 30% more expensive than conventional. I'm fine with that.

Maybe there is not a risk to conventionally raised and maybe there is. I can't say for sure. I am doing it the way I feel most comfortable after years in the foodservice industry. YMMV

I work at a food co-op, and have the same concerns with potential long term effects. I also recognize how blessed I am to have access to local and organic food.

However, I live on a limited budget, but have food restrictions and need to eat more due to malabsorption. So I have to be smart about what I buy. Which means leaning more towards local, in season, Dirty Dozen/Clean 15 list, organ meats, and sales sales sales!

I suppose if money wasn't an issue, I would buy more expensive cuts of meat like steaks. But that would still be a treat as I would rather save my money on fun trips
    edited March 26
  • kali31337kali31337 Posts: 798Member, Premium Member Posts: 798Member, Premium Member
    If money wasn't an option I would definitely be buying better quality meats and definitely way more local meat.

Also all of the cheese. There would never be a shredded pack of cheese in my house again.
  • nvmomketonvmomketo Posts: 12,031Member Member Posts: 12,031Member Member
    huh. The last one looks like a pineapple....

If money was no object I would buy heirloom variety, non-GMO, organic and as locally sourced as possible... or have it flown in from Europe if unavailable in North America. Oh, or have people grow it for me in my own greenhouses and cattle ranches....
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,453Member Member Posts: 7,453Member Member
    What I get from this thread is that if money wasnt an issue most people WOULD buy organic. Which to be honest surprised me because in any other thread of conventional vs organic, organic gets trashed to *kitten*.
  • debrakgooginsdebrakgoogins Posts: 1,828Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,828Member, Premium Member
    If money was no object, I would take advantage of farm shares for beef, chicken, pork, and vegetables. It wouldn't have to be organic, but I would prefer grass fed beef just because I like the taste better. Oh, and I would also own two mini Scottish Highland Cows to keep my Golden Retriever company.