What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @RelCanonical That is good advice. I haven't ever really talked about my anxiety until this past vacation with my mom and aunt, where I told them how anxious I was in general. I mean, when I opened my etsy store to sell my jewelry had I a panic attack going to the post office because I didn't know what to do. That was my first clue that what I thought was all weight related fear of the world was more anxiety driven fear of the world as a base foundation of my nature.

Next time WILL be better and in regards to the post office, the next time WAS better. Good luck to you too! Anxiety sucks and I hope the soul searching goes well and gives you the direction you need!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    ...the amount of money you will spend on new clothes.

I calculate I bought about six whole new wardrobes during the course of my weight loss. Even with charity shops, that got expensive.

But what I didn't anticipate is how much I'm still spending on clothes now I'm at my final size.

First there was the 'this is my final size, I can buy good clothes that will last' splurge. Then there was the 'hey, I don't have to hide my tummy anymore, I can buy styles I never even looked at before' splurge. Then there was the 'holy *kitten* what is this "cold" malarkey, now I understand why people have a separate winter wardrobe' splurge. Then there was the 'wait, I can wear designer clothes now' splurge.

Help, help, I think I've become a fashion victim... :s

This. Plus, I enjoy shopping for clothes. Which is something I never thought I'd enjoy doing!

Trouble is I have absolutely no idea what to buy. Used to be quite stylish when I was slim in my 20s and early 30s but now I am 63 and not needing 'business clothes' I am at a total loss! I have 2 dresses in my wardrobe which I purchased because I was so delighted that I could actually buy a dress (used to have big boobs, small bottom syndrome) but don't wear them because I don't know if a) I look ridiculous or b) when/where would it be appropriate to wear them - I live in the country - jeans and jumpers are the norm. And I thought losing weight would simplify by wardrobe dilemmas!! :smiley:

Like everyone else has said, wear them babies out! Myself, I'm trying to gather up the courage to wear dresses. I feel like a strange imposter or something. I don't know. There's this dress I want (it's expensive) and I've told myself I'll get it for my trip this June (first time to Europe!) if I keep my eye on the prize and hit some health goals (weight loss, but primarily some going to the gym/getting ready and in shape for my trip -- I have issues with stairs and inclines, so I'm trying to push myself to get better physically for that).

Here's to hoping I meet my goals AND that I get the dress without crossing it off as "well, I'm not made for dresses!" Which is ridiculous, but my brain feels aren't coming to the party on my logic feels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find that a pair of nice shoes really takes a dress from looking weird to being really put together. Doesn't have to be heels, but a nice pair of flats or strappy sandals or dressy boots. Although, I love a good pair of sky-high black wedges with black tights to make my legs look long. I always look a little frumpy when I try on dresses in bare feet or socks. Although, I know a dress is a true winner when I look good in it without shoes on. Those are the keepers.

Also the skirt length makes a difference! I make mine hit just above the knee, as I have wide calves and chopping them in half makes them look even bigger, as you don't see the natural curve into the knee. I also like to do high-waisted dresses, as I have a long torso and starting the waistline higher also makes my legs look longer.

It really varies depending on your body shape, it's just about dressing for a shape and knowing that not all dresses are going to be flattering, no matter the weight.

Wow, you and I really are twins! Except I don't wear boots or wedges often; my preference is Oxford style vintage inspired heels :smile: Same relatively short legs and long torso. Midi dresses make me feel frumpy. Forget maxi dresses! I look like I'm playing dress-up in a normal sized persons closet :lol:

Knee-length is my sweet spot; any higher and I can't really wear it to work. Fit and flare or A-line are my go-to silhouettes, although I'm branching out into sheaths lately. Those require a bit of help in the undergarment department to hold things steady, though.

I'm enjoying being able to enjoy shopping again. A bit too much, perhaps.

I ADORE oxford style heels. Omg. This kind of look with the black tights is my jam (not my feet in those lovely shoes, unfortunately):

couucu1vjx35.jpg

I just haven't been able to find a good pair yet. I think I will do better finding a pair with weight loss because my feet will narrow a bit and I can fit into regular sizes again and feel braver about shopping for shoes online.

Those are a little higher heel than I'd wear daily, but super cute! My feet defnitely shrank with weight loss. I went down a full size to size and a half and had to replace my entire shoe wardrobe (awwww, how sad! :wink: )
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2019
    deleting, posted in the wrong place
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    ...the amount of money you will spend on new clothes.

I calculate I bought about six whole new wardrobes during the course of my weight loss. Even with charity shops, that got expensive.

But what I didn't anticipate is how much I'm still spending on clothes now I'm at my final size.

First there was the 'this is my final size, I can buy good clothes that will last' splurge. Then there was the 'hey, I don't have to hide my tummy anymore, I can buy styles I never even looked at before' splurge. Then there was the 'holy *kitten* what is this "cold" malarkey, now I understand why people have a separate winter wardrobe' splurge. Then there was the 'wait, I can wear designer clothes now' splurge.

Help, help, I think I've become a fashion victim... :s

This. Plus, I enjoy shopping for clothes. Which is something I never thought I'd enjoy doing!

Trouble is I have absolutely no idea what to buy. Used to be quite stylish when I was slim in my 20s and early 30s but now I am 63 and not needing 'business clothes' I am at a total loss! I have 2 dresses in my wardrobe which I purchased because I was so delighted that I could actually buy a dress (used to have big boobs, small bottom syndrome) but don't wear them because I don't know if a) I look ridiculous or b) when/where would it be appropriate to wear them - I live in the country - jeans and jumpers are the norm. And I thought losing weight would simplify by wardrobe dilemmas!! :smiley:

Like everyone else has said, wear them babies out! Myself, I'm trying to gather up the courage to wear dresses. I feel like a strange imposter or something. I don't know. There's this dress I want (it's expensive) and I've told myself I'll get it for my trip this June (first time to Europe!) if I keep my eye on the prize and hit some health goals (weight loss, but primarily some going to the gym/getting ready and in shape for my trip -- I have issues with stairs and inclines, so I'm trying to push myself to get better physically for that).

Here's to hoping I meet my goals AND that I get the dress without crossing it off as "well, I'm not made for dresses!" Which is ridiculous, but my brain feels aren't coming to the party on my logic feels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find that a pair of nice shoes really takes a dress from looking weird to being really put together. Doesn't have to be heels, but a nice pair of flats or strappy sandals or dressy boots. Although, I love a good pair of sky-high black wedges with black tights to make my legs look long. I always look a little frumpy when I try on dresses in bare feet or socks. Although, I know a dress is a true winner when I look good in it without shoes on. Those are the keepers.

Also the skirt length makes a difference! I make mine hit just above the knee, as I have wide calves and chopping them in half makes them look even bigger, as you don't see the natural curve into the knee. I also like to do high-waisted dresses, as I have a long torso and starting the waistline higher also makes my legs look longer.

It really varies depending on your body shape, it's just about dressing for a shape and knowing that not all dresses are going to be flattering, no matter the weight.

Wow, you and I really are twins! Except I don't wear boots or wedges often; my preference is Oxford style vintage inspired heels :smile: Same relatively short legs and long torso. Midi dresses make me feel frumpy. Forget maxi dresses! I look like I'm playing dress-up in a normal sized persons closet :lol:

Knee-length is my sweet spot; any higher and I can't really wear it to work. Fit and flare or A-line are my go-to silhouettes, although I'm branching out into sheaths lately. Those require a bit of help in the undergarment department to hold things steady, though.

I'm enjoying being able to enjoy shopping again. A bit too much, perhaps.

I ADORE oxford style heels. Omg. This kind of look with the black tights is my jam (not my feet in those lovely shoes, unfortunately):

couucu1vjx35.jpg

I just haven't been able to find a good pair yet. I think I will do better finding a pair with weight loss because my feet will narrow a bit and I can fit into regular sizes again and feel braver about shopping for shoes online.

Those are a little higher heel than I'd wear daily, but super cute! My feet defnitely shrank with weight loss. I went down a full size to size and a half and had to replace my entire shoe wardrobe (awwww, how sad! :wink: )

Yeah I like 'em super high, haha. You've got an extra inch on me so it must be we don't like to go above 5'5'' or it's too high, lol. I did get a cute pair today with just little kitten heels, but they're dark purple instead of black, which is definitely stretching my comfort zone! All of my dressy shoes are black. They were only a dollar though because it was a closing sale, so definitely an excellent opportunity to expand my style.

I have shrunk a little bit, to the point where a "size up" to fit width is a 1/2 size up instead of a full-size up. Now I size up to 6 1/2 and wear a 6W.

I could find a picture online, but they're a pretty standard pointed-toe pump, not shiny. Definitely an experiment for me.

This is the other pair I bought earlier in the sale, for like eight dollars. Probably too high for a standard professional environment but fortunately we wear jeans at my job so they're not too weird. xD These I sized up to the 6 1/2.

179540_6_1400x1400.jpg?sw=556

• pinuplove
    @RelCanonical In my case it's self-preservation :lol: I can't walk in anything higher.

I'm awed at your shoe sale finds. Awesome deals! I'm a US 6 or 6.5, Euro 37. The good news is, there are usually plenty of shoes in our size! When I was a 7 or 7.5 they were always gone (popular size, I guess).
  • RelCanonical
    @RelCanonical In my case it's self-preservation :lol: I can't walk in anything higher.

I'm awed at your shoe sale finds. Awesome deals! I'm a US 6 or 6.5, Euro 37. The good news is, there are usually plenty of shoes in our size! When I was a 7 or 7.5 they were always gone (popular size, I guess).

Welp, shoe twins, especially once I lose enough to fit into normal width again.

My best sale find was a $300 Calvin Klein peacoat for $35...that no longer fits at all. Lol. Well, I got to wear it for one season at least.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    edited March 2019
    When I lost weight the first time my feet went down one full size from a 7.5 to a 6.5. That definitely came as a surprise to me. Now I'm about 25 pounds heavier than my lightest adult weight, no change in shoe size yet. Maybe my feet are as skinny as they're going to get???

I am both happy and annoyed at the clothes situation. Most of my clothes are either too big (but I wear them until someone says it's time to donate) or too small because I'm trying to fit into old clothes. I wore tighter jeans yesterday - today I'm in old ones that are hanging on my hips. I do not have a pair I like that actually fits correctly. I have bought one pair of capris and I believe I have a pair of shorts from a few years ago that will fit but otherwise I have nothing for spring/summer. I also don't want to buy too much because I'm hoping to drop another 10 or 15 pounds before it's time to really wear summer clothes. I have a ton of tshirts but I usually dress up for work, I don't believe I have any summer work shirts. I have slacks and a dress or two that I'm back in so I'm good there. It's so much easier to hide misfitting clothes in the winter.

Hops of soapbox. Happy Friday All!
  • RelCanonical

My best sale find was a $300 Calvin Klein peacoat for $35...that no longer fits at all. Lol. Well, I got to wear it for one season at least.

No surprise we're shoe twins :lol:

I had a few things I was sad to shrink out of (mostly shoes) but overall I was so unhappy with my shape when I gained that I didn't enjoy shopping at all. So my 'wardrobe' was really just to cover my nakedness and hopefully hide the rolls. Now, on the other hand.... Well, let's just say I've probably spent more on clothes this month than my husband did on the used bass boat he just bought :tongue:

Oh snap, dats some money. I have a shopping spree planned for goal weight. One of my regrets the last time I lost was procrastinating on shopping when I hit goal. I never got to enjoy new clothes, I had one dress for work and the rest were thrifted, which was fine but not the same. I have definitely developed a "style" this time around so thrifting hasn't been as fun because I'm so picky, lol.
  • pinuplove

No surprise we're shoe twins :lol:

I had a few things I was sad to shrink out of (mostly shoes) but overall I was so unhappy with my shape when I gained that I didn't enjoy shopping at all. So my 'wardrobe' was really just to cover my nakedness and hopefully hide the rolls. Now, on the other hand.... Well, let's just say I've probably spent more on clothes this month than my husband did on the used bass boat he just bought :tongue:

Oh snap, dats some money. I have a shopping spree planned for goal weight. One of my regrets the last time I lost was procrastinating on shopping when I hit goal. I never got to enjoy new clothes, I had one dress for work and the rest were thrifted, which was fine but not the same. I have definitely developed a "style" this time around so thrifting hasn't been as fun because I'm so picky, lol.

I figure I'm catching up on 5 years of not shopping. Almost done, though! I'm fairly set for work clothes and just need to pick up a few more casual items.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member

This is me today.. I feel like in one day I’ve just ruined everything and perhaps in the past I’d of thrown in the towel.. but hey it’s a new day tomorrow, and I’ve already planned my day.. some days I’m under my calories by a couple of hundred, some days I’m over, today I feel like I left it too long between meals and didn’t drink enough.. live and learn. Keep going with me XX

Needed this response today! I've been on spring break as a teacher and I've really been letting myself eat over my calories, but tomorrow is a new day, and if I've done it before I can do it again. We can do it! [/quote]
    The important thing is to go back and keep pushing ahead the way you’re doing it. We all experience what you are going through even the best of us believe me ! Press on. That’s what matters. B)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!