recomp guide

I just need to here some good facts on recomping.
as ive just learned its not quite the same as maintain. so I think I read above a lifting programme, I just need to know more.
@sijomial @sardelsa come over :)

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    That thread above is a great resource. Also if you are looking for a lifting program you can check out this link as well
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

While I have read a lot about recomp and know quite a bit about it, I never really have done it myself consistently (at most 3-4 months). @sijomial is definitely the one to ask if you have any specific questions :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    That thread above is a great resource. Also if you are looking for a lifting program you can check out this link as well
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

While I have read a lot about recomp and know quite a bit about it, I never really have done it myself consistently (at most 3-4 months). @sijomial is definitely the one to ask if you have any specific questions :)

Too kind!

:blush:
  • angermouse
    angermouse Posts: 102 Member
    the link says to reach your tdee for the week, do I lower cals on non gym/lifting days or keep to the maintain. if I was to eat 1800 on a day in I would be eating more cals then I burned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    angermouse wrote: »
    the link says to reach your tdee for the week, do I lower cals on non gym/lifting days or keep to the maintain. if I was to eat 1800 on a day in I would be eating more cals then I burned.

If you're using TDEE, it smooths out over the week...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    angermouse wrote: »

Doesn't matter how you split up your weekly allowance, it's an irrelevance unless perhaps you are an elite athlete.

Remember recomp isn't special and doesn't have a set of rules that everyone must conform to.
  • angermouse
    sijomial wrote: »
    Recomp equals the simultaneous losing of body fat and addition of muscle to improve your body composition - commonly at or close to weight maintenance levels.

It's nothing special, unusual and for most doesn't need any special nurturing - when I was growing up it was just called "getting in shape" and still is amongst the general population as opposed to the bubbles that are MyFitnessPal and body building forums. The perfectly normal expectation that if you train effectively you will gain muscle and if you aren't overeating you will lose fat.

What muscle building does need is sufficient stimulus, you have to make higher demands on your body than it can currently manage. The range of stimulus required is very varied across individuals, the more undertrained you are the lower the stimulus required. For example after being on crutches for 3 months just learning to walk again was sufficient stimulus for growth initially, after a while that wasn't enough, but lots of stairs was, then rowing & cycling, then weights.....
    When you hear the phrase "progressive overload" that's what they are talking about - pushing your limits.

By far the most efficient stimulus is an effective weight/resistance training program.

ok so im no stranger to the weight machines, I know its not quite compounds lol but im using a weight that pushes me and hurts next day!
    i like the look of the 5x5 but don't feel I have sufficient arm strength to do this, where would I start to get up to that point. I have strong legs and weak lower back. any ideas?
  • angermouse
    im currently using the assisted pull up machine to help build upper body strength.
  • angermouse
    sijomial wrote: »
    You lift to get strong, you don't have to be strong to start lifting.
    Start from what you can lift, lifting heavy means heavy for you.

If that's an empty bar then it's an empty bar.
    If you can't manage a full size bar use a smaller bar, if you can't manage a smaller bar use dumbbells.....

If you are more comfortable on machines use machines, use a mixture or machines and free weights.

dumbbells are my language :D on the bicep machine ive only just got up to 8 reps on 9kg! can press down 60kg on tricep. but only do 4kg in dumbbell tricep kickbacks? bit all over the place really!

will invest in some barbells I think.
  • angermouse
    thanks for your help, ive been working on assisted pull ups, face pulls at the gym, kneeling push ups, body weight dips, dumbbell curls and lat pulls to help build some strength. I can see some difference in my back already. light weights but anything heavy throws my form. I have a weak lower back so im using a 10kg bar at the gym for deadlifts. I think building up my strength with more body weight moves is the way to go first.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I have a weak lower back as well. One move that has helped me is the barbell row. You can Google how to do it safely, and add it in when you feel ready, using the empty 10 kg bar. I only do 3 reps instead of the 5 recommended by the Strong Lifts program.