Sudden Inexplicable Weight Gain?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    edited March 2019
    As long as I know that you know that energy imbalance is not my main concern for you (given that you've already decreased calories a bit to account for less walking and given that your weight change has been appreciable) I think I've done all I can to prompt you to take action... right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2019
    dpr73 wrote: »
    So I have been in maintenance for about 6 years. I go through periods of muscle gain goals, but I usually elect to maintain by the end, as I am fairly comfortable with my physique now. However, very recently, I have noted my number creeping up on the scale (about the past week or so). It's strange... two and a half weeks ago I was near the bottom of my weight range (134.6lbs), but then suddenly today my weight has gone to the tip top of my range (140lbs) and has been around there all week (between 137.5-140lbs). I cannot quite figure out the issue. I have kept calories the exact same and have been following my normal gym routine. I recently had to leave my dog, whom I used to walk about 1.5 miles daily, with my parents (about three weeks ago). Is the weight gain because of this decrease in activity? I assumed this was a possibility and reduced calories by about 300 all week and my number has still been holding steady at the high end.

Stats:
    Male
    24 y/o
    135-140lb weight range
    Active (6 days weight lifting, one day running 3 to 4 miles)
    Calories: have been maintaining on 2700-2800 for MONTHS (since september), but recently reduced to 2400-2500 this week

If you're eating the same calories but your activity decreases then yes...that can cause weight gain because a decrease in activity is going to reduce your maintenance calories.

It could also be the batteries in your scale.

It could also just be normal fluctuations. I typically fluctuate maybe a pound or two, but I've also had much larger fluctuations. Have you traveled recently? Particularly by air?
  • PAV8888
    On the scale thing which I haven't paid too much attention to... your scale is located on an utterly unyielding piece of floor and not moving around... right? And you have zeroed it and are taking your measurements after clean resets... right?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Please buy new batteries for your scales and let us know if it works? I really hope so!
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Please buy new batteries for your scales and let us know if it works? I really hope so!

I bought new batteries, no luck.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    On the scale thing which I haven't paid too much attention to... your scale is located on an utterly unyielding piece of floor and not moving around... right? And you have zeroed it and are taking your measurements after clean resets... right?

I actually have it stored upright when I’m not using it and lay it on the same place on the floor and zero it before standing on it. But it’s been consistently accurate since I moved into my new place in August.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    So I have been in maintenance for about 6 years. I go through periods of muscle gain goals, but I usually elect to maintain by the end, as I am fairly comfortable with my physique now. However, very recently, I have noted my number creeping up on the scale (about the past week or so). It's strange... two and a half weeks ago I was near the bottom of my weight range (134.6lbs), but then suddenly today my weight has gone to the tip top of my range (140lbs) and has been around there all week (between 137.5-140lbs). I cannot quite figure out the issue. I have kept calories the exact same and have been following my normal gym routine. I recently had to leave my dog, whom I used to walk about 1.5 miles daily, with my parents (about three weeks ago). Is the weight gain because of this decrease in activity? I assumed this was a possibility and reduced calories by about 300 all week and my number has still been holding steady at the high end.

Stats:
    Male
    24 y/o
    135-140lb weight range
    Active (6 days weight lifting, one day running 3 to 4 miles)
    Calories: have been maintaining on 2700-2800 for MONTHS (since september), but recently reduced to 2400-2500 this week

If you're eating the same calories but your activity decreases then yes...that can cause weight gain because a decrease in activity is going to reduce your maintenance calories.

It could also be the batteries in your scale.

It could also just be normal fluctuations. I typically fluctuate maybe a pound or two, but I've also had much larger fluctuations. Have you traveled recently? Particularly by air?

I totally agree about decreasing activity. When my weight was between 137.5-140 (last week) I assumed that was the case and decreased caloric intake to 2400-2500 rather than 2700-2800 and increased my walking mileage by 3 miles daily. It resulted in my weight going back up three more lbs from my weight range (a tad over 143 today).

Thank you all for the concern and support. I agree it is likely minor and me being in medicine, I of course have more serious etiologies on my differential. I see those as the unicorns, however, and am giving myself the rest of the week to let things fizzle down. If no such luck, I will reduce calories into a deficit. If that doesn’t work, I will seek out a doctor. My most likely assumption is constipation from last week that is leading to residual bloat and water retention this week.
  • dpr73
    Another Update: I hopped up another half lb today. I am not as worried about this issue anymore. I am expecting a scale problem. My clothes fit the same and this weight gain is super rapid. I also have regained regularity with respect to the bathroom.
  • sarabushby
    So strange! Keep us posted, I’m really interested and hope you get back in your goal zone soon
  • PAV8888
    New scale time?
  • dpr73
    edited March 2019
    New scale time?

Nope the exact same. 5.45 AM Everyday
  • PAV8888
    New scale time?

No, I mean as in: time to get a new scale?
  • dpr73
    New scale time?

No, I mean as in: time to get a new scale?

I think so. It’s only a year old but my gym scale is showing a three lb difference (I weight at 6pm) compared to the home scale so that’s likely part of my issue
  • dpr73
    edited March 2019
    Also, let’s say my weight doesn’t stabilize by Monday. Should I look into cutting out more calories and trying to lose to get back into range?

I am conflicted because logically it is water weight (I was 137.4 last Monday). But also, do not want to turn a blind eye to something that could be lasting weight gain. It has been over a week since I dropped out of my weight range
  • dpr73
    UPDATE: I am planning to stop by and grab a new scale today. I hopped up another half pound on my scale this morning. All in, I am nearly 5lbs above the high end of my weight range. I am 10lbs above where I weighed 4 weeks ago, on March 2 (despite reducing my calories by 300 and increasing activity by 2-3 miles daily two weeks ago). I am also a total of 7lbs higher than what I weighed last monday (137.4-144.4 today).
  • dpr73
    UPDATE PART II: I just tried a new scale. It’s giving me the same weight. I believe the weight is somehow real but I cannot rationalize how
  • sarabushby
    Was the low reading that you are comparing too perhaps a blip in itself? Dehydrated after exercise? Or had you been routinely weighing in at that lower end?
  • dpr73
    edited March 2019
    Was the low reading that you are comparing too perhaps a blip in itself? Dehydrated after exercise? Or had you been routinely weighing in at that lower end?

I weigh in on the low end much more frequently then the high end. I usually don’t go much above 138 lbs normally. This weight gain over the past two weeks is really really really atypical for me
    Should I cut calories into a deficit next week or not? Logically, all this weight can not be fat in less than a month (10lbs in a month and 7lbs in two weeks). Or should I stay at 2400-2500 (lower than what I’ve been maintaining on since August which was 2700-2800) and allow everything to stabilize?
  • sarabushby
    Definitely no medications you’ve started or supplements you’re taking?

I’m not qualified to advise you what to do but in your shoes I probably would cut back on my calories, regardless of if that’s the right thing to do. Probably wouldn’t be a bad thing to see your Dr or a Dietician for advise and to check there’s nothing untoward going on?
  • dpr73

I’m not qualified to advise you what to do but in your shoes I probably would cut back on my calories, regardless of if that’s the right thing to do. Probably wouldn’t be a bad thing to see your Dr or a Dietician for advise and to check there’s nothing untoward going on?

Nope. No meds. I did stop drinking coffee in favor of Matcha around the second week of March and in the third week of March I started having constipation that has since resolved. My sense is the constipation is the culprit but it seems strange that my weight remains elevated while that issue has resolved. I also have noticed swelling on my calves where my socks sit everyday.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Nope. No meds. I did stop drinking coffee in favor of Matcha around the second week of March and in the third week of March I started having constipation that has since resolved. My sense is the constipation is the culprit but it seems strange that my weight remains elevated while that issue has resolved. I also have noticed swelling on my calves where my socks sit everyday.

Considering the mild diuretic effect that coffee can have, I think you’ve found your culprit. You’re likely now seeing your true weight — and probably getting some rebound water weight — now that you don’t have the coffee.