“But there aren’t any calories in sour cream.”

Replies

• merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    I read a good one on quora this morning:
    “Eating like a thin person won’t make you thin.”
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    My mom (who lost a lot of weight since her highest, but has been on a plateau for years): "I work out so I can eat whatever I want!" and in the next breath "I don't know what else to do to lose more weight, it must just be my age!"

I love her to death, but she doesn't make any sense.

My Mom is the SAME way! She keeps whining at me that she can't lose weight and I keep telling her she needs to eat less calories, which she keeps interpreting as eat less foods and she says she doesn't eat a lot. Which is true however what she does eat is high in calories. For example she switched from adding a bit of salad dressing to her salads to full-fat cottage cheese instead! I keep telling her the amount of cottage cheese she uses adds up to way more calories than the dressing she was using but I get the "but cottage cheese is healthy!!"

Also she eats out most lunches and thinks it should be fine because when she was younger she ate pizza every lunch and was very tiny, however when she was younger she was working at a bank and constantly on her feet plus she had a toddler (me) to keep up with and now she has a desk job.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I used to get a lot of "you can't eat that, you're on a diet!" Because every once in a while I would order something "unhealthy" like fast food, even though I could fit it within my calorie goals. Now that I've lost the weight, people don't really say that to me anymore, but I know some of them are thinking "oh because you work out a lot you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight." Nope. Working out certainly gives me the freedom to eat more than I would have if I didn't work out, but I still have to monitor and track my calorie intake. There are plenty of people I train with regularly who are still obese. Exercise alone won't do it.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Oh, I have another one! Not directly “diet” related, but my aunt was very proud one Christmas because she made me a “vegetarian” version of her baked beans, which usually contained canned pork and beans.

Aunt: I left off the bacon on top of your beans!
    Me: Did you make them with pork and beans?
    Aunt: Yes.
    Me: The *pork* and beans?
    Aunt: Yes.
    Me: In the vegetarian beans?
    Aunt: Yes, they’re just like the other beans but yours don’t have bacon on top.

Me: Is the lentil soup vegetarian?
    Lunch lady: Oh yes.
    Me: Nice - sometimes it's made with beef broth.
    Lunch lady: Oh no - we use chicken broth.

:/

😆 the first year I dated my husband his grandmother invited us over for “vegetable soup” (I was not there during this convo):

Husband: Is it made with beef or chicken broth, or vegetable broth?
    Grandmother: (confused look) well, it has chunks of beef in it.
    Husband: so....it’s beef stew with vegetables.
    Grandmother: (relieved he got it) yes!