Garden thread

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Anyone grow edamame? I love edamame. They seem like they would be easy to grow like green beans.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    For those of you in the US, plop in your zip code for the gardening calendar for your area:

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar

WHAT IS A PLANTING CALENDAR?

Find the best dates for planting vegetables and fruit in your garden! Our free planting calendar calculates the best time to start seeds indoors and outdoors, as well as when to plant young plants outside.

Simply put, a planting calendar is a guide that tells you the best time to start planting your garden. Most planting calendars are based on frost dates, which dictate when you should start seeds and when it's safe to plant outdoors. Our planting calendar also shows dates for planting by the Moon (learn more about this technique below).
  • losingit711
    losingit711 Posts: 316 Member
    I’m starting my seeds indoors in 2 weeks already have most of the seeds. Trying to shrink my garden but excited looking at all the seeds and it ends up the same size every year. Can’t wait!!!!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Great calendar. Some earlier dates for starting outdoors than the Mother's Day rule of thumb I know for my area. I'm excited so maybe will start some seeds indoors this weekend or next (this weekend fits the early end of the proposed indoor timing for broccoli, cauliflower, collards, chard, brussels, among others, where I live).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Back on topic, how do most of you set up your irrigation? I put in hard pipes to my planters last year and ran small nozzles off of them, but I'm wondering if I should go to something more flexible so I can do some re-arranging if needed. I know I need to redo my potato box.

When I had more extensive gardens I mulched and used a sprinkler when needed. I just have 7 boxes now and mulch and water by hand.

For those of you who use premade soaker hoses - what brands do you use and where do you get them? I tried this years back and wasn't happy with the results - I think they got clogged.

FWIW, I've always just bought them from mainstream places (like big-box home improvement stores, the big combo "everything" stores (Meijer is our local chain in the US Midwest), member stores like Sam's or Costco), looking for good deals, irrespective of brand, and they've been fine.

I think some of mine (in perennial beds) have probably been laying out in 12 months of weather (including very cold winters, below zero F sometimes, very freeze/thaw-y in Fall/Spring), right on the soil surface, for 10 or more years, and still working. I'd be peeved if they didn't last at least 3-4. Because I'm lazy, and winding an uncooperative hose through a complicated perennial bed is a challenge**, there are a few that have a duct-tape wrap where a gusher came out, and I've occasionally replaced the rubber washers, but there's been no problem with the drip function. Mine do lay on top of the soil, though, not under.

** You've probably figured this out, and quickly, but laying a new hose out in direct sun on a warm day, stretched to its full length, will make it a little more cooperative.

Possibly it matters what type of soil you have? Mine, by nature, is pretty high in clay, but my beds have been amended with both topsoil and humus in various forms, some with sand, over the years, so they're a little lighter.

I'm going to be self-indulgent here, not about veggies, and those not just dragging themselves out of a WTF?-style Michigan Winter won't understand my enthusiasm, but I finally had my first Tommie Crocus pop yesterday (Snowdrops started blooming a month and a half ago, through snow). Man, these early bulbs just give my Winter-weary heart a boost! Next up and blooming, rock garden iris and (non-bulb) Hellebores, I predict. Can. Not. Wait.

snoumdjm5jya.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Nope, no crocuses yet. Plus I thought I'd transplanted some winter aconites from Mom's. Those usually bloom around my brother's birthday, late Feb.

67286A.jpg
  • kshama2001
    How to Get High on Soil

M. vaccae, a living creature that resides in your backyard compost pile, acts like a mind-altering drug once it enters the human body, functioning like antidepressant pills to boost your mood.

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691462
  • lbgardener
    lbgardener Posts: 13 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I'm bringing this back! it's almost time for me! I'm so excited lol. I was wanting to start seeds indoors this year but I don't really have any good windows with a lot of light so I'd have to get some sort of grow light which I didn't really feel "up for." I'm just going to buy tomato plants at the nursery again like I always do. I think I'm just going to plant cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, cucumbers, zuccini and a few different types of peppers and that's it. Maybe green beans, I don't know. My green beans never turn out that well, I need to try a different variety.

What are you guys up to?

You don't need expensive grow lights. I use fluorescent shop lights on a metal shelf or ones my husband built for me. It's really good enough if you intend to plant them outside once they are big enough and the weather is conducive.z8dw1l8h02eo.jpg
    hxjqf1phob6n.jpg
  • losingit711
    losingit711 Posts: 316 Member
    I use a 4’ shop light and a metal shelf. I get a good bulb for them though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Nope, no crocuses yet. Plus I thought I'd transplanted some winter aconites from Mom's. Those usually bloom around my brother's birthday, late Feb.

<image of pretty things snipped for length - see PP above>

One of those pretty little guys had popped out at my friend's house yesterday, and it clearly has a nearby buddy on the way.

It seemed like they bloomed a little slowly/late the first year after I planted them, here. Maybe yours are on that track?

I don't have any yet. Sadly, they don't spread as well at my place as they do in some other local gardens, so tend to peter out. (Maybe it's the clay?) I think after the first year, they tended to show up after the Snowdrops, closer to the rock garden iris and the regular (non-Tommie) crocus, so maybe March sometime. Things are a little later, this year - it went down in the teens (F) last week, which is unusual here in February, and we had a fair bit of February snow and ice.

ajqazfz1u89d.jpg
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    How to Get High on Soil

M. vaccae, a living creature that resides in your backyard compost pile, acts like a mind-altering drug once it enters the human body, functioning like antidepressant pills to boost your mood.

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691462

No wonder I am happy after gardening....lol
  • nooshi713
    I am growing broccoli, kale, and cauliflower now. Soon I will be planting my tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, squash, and annual herbs.

My fruit trees are all dying though. :(
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    What's wrong with them?

I'm jealous of people with fruit trees. I do have grape vines, although I don't know what kind.

I need to hire someone knowledgeable to tell me about what's currently planted in my garden (and I need to learn more about plants in general!).
  • nooshi713
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    What's wrong with them?

I'm jealous of people with fruit trees. I do have grape vines, although I don't know what kind.

I need to hire someone knowledgeable to tell me about what's currently planted in my garden (and I need to learn more about plants in general!).

The soil in my yard sucks and I cant relandscape it all. Also, my water is very hard and alkaline. They just wither away despite getting sun, water, and proper fertilizer.
  • kshama2001
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

<image of pretty things snipped for length - see PP above>

One of those pretty little guys had popped out at my friend's house yesterday, and it clearly has a nearby buddy on the way.

It seemed like they bloomed a little slowly/late the first year after I planted them, here. Maybe yours are on that track?

I don't have any yet. Sadly, they don't spread as well at my place as they do in some other local gardens, so tend to peter out. (Maybe it's the clay?) I think after the first year, they tended to show up after the Snowdrops, closer to the rock garden iris and the regular (non-Tommie) crocus, so maybe March sometime. Things are a little later, this year - it went down in the teens (F) last week, which is unusual here in February, and we had a fair bit of February snow and ice.

ajqazfz1u89d.jpg

I called Mom after posting this yesterday - her winter aconites are just now popping because they were buried under snow. I guess it's just when we didn't have a lot of snow that they come out late Feb. Her snowdrops start just after the aconites do.

Before her soil was improved it tended to be sandy rather than clay-ey, so your clay could indeed be the problem.
  • daklock
    daklock Posts: 54 Member
    Felt so good to get out into the garden and start doing some spring clean-up. It was 16 degrees outside and sunny. It also helped me get 10,000 steps in.
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2019
    Finally first crocus!

Hey, when is my ornamental grass going to start coming back? I'm in Zone 6b. Google was no help.

I planted Zebra grass and one other type whose name escapes me last fall.

5v6q3e3zjjg7.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    not sure about the grass

i got a few things coming back, strawberries, tulips, iris, mint
    ymh5clf5d091.png
    lq52psydbp3i.png
    r0c9prmdkn8l.png
    h9k9j0hih2lh.png