Did you swim today?

Replies

• kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Yuh. I need to eat really salty junk food to kick up my sodium intake. A middle toe cramp & an instep cramp trying to take me down! You can't will those away, can you?

🦋
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Yuh. I need to eat really salty junk food to kick up my sodium intake. A middle toe cramp & an instep cramp trying to take me down! You can't will those away, can you?

🦋

Using an electrolyte replacement during swimming can help.
    I use Propel powder in water or EFS depending on how long I am swimming.
    Bananas are rich in potassium and reduce cramps too.
    I really hate instep cramps. Because I have almost no cartilage in the big toe joints, the cramps just pull my big toe into the metatarsal. It doesn't force a flex. I also can't try stretching in the opposing direction to relieve it.
  • fishgutzy
    8.8km yesterday.
    2.2km morning
    6.6km after work.
  • kayak4water
    fishgutzy wrote: »

🦋

Using an electrolyte replacement during swimming can help.
    I use Propel powder in water or EFS depending on how long I am swimming.
    Bananas are rich in potassium and reduce cramps too.

Check!. I keep an eye on my potassium (K+) and sodium (Na+) intake. I've kept the K+ well above the 4700 mg MFP says I need. My sodium intake has been close to the 2300 that would be okay for a couch potato, but likely not enough for lap swimming. I also use NUUN & FIZZ, usually 2-3 tabs per swim (50 minutes +/-). Adding a half teaspoon of salt in my bottle might help.
    Re: Bananas: always on my list. Potatoes and green leafy things kick up the K+ really well and Walmart low sodium vegetable juice pumps in the K+ at 900 mg per 8 oz. serving.

Since the kidneys efficiently flush excess sodium and potassium, I need to get some pre- swim.

The toe cramp was weird and I could almost swim with it, but the instep cramp was a deal killer that made me feel like I'd be an easy meal for a hungry shark.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Yes cramps of any type are no fun in the water. That just sounds horrible @fishgutzy the way it pulls your toes. I have an old calf injury that can flair up and cause cramps, grab a rope and pull myself to the shallow water to get a slooow stretch.
    I usually get toe cramps if the pool is warm or we are doing an extended or multi-set of kick drills also if I have water rather than electrolyte in my bottle.

1600m ASC last night.
    100m, Kick, 100m Free, 100m Pull warmup

10 x 25m Distance per stroke. My avg 24/25m ie barely more than 1m per stroke
    elite 15/25m others 20/25m

2 x 50m scull Head first/feet first

8 x 25m breast 2 sets of 4
    #1- 3 sec glide Long stretch - Power Pull/Kick
    #2- 2 sec glide Clean stretch - power P/K
    #3- 1 sec glide Quick Transition to stretch
    #4- No glide Fast turnover Power P/K

8 x 50m Turn Drills Alt Free/Back - Start at ctr of pool to get 2 turns per 50m

150m Back incorporating turn drill
    200m Free incorporating turn drill

100m choice cooldown
  • kayak4water
    News flash! Something worked to prevent cramps!
    I began today with a small sweet potato and a cup of Walmart low sodium veggie juice. After mixing in a quarter teaspoon of salt and two tablets of Fizz into a liter of water and a Fizz tablet into another liter, I drank another cup of veggie juice. I entered the water 40 minutes later. During my 59 minute swim, I sucked down my drinks.

At 45 minutes I had the tiniest hint of something evil, but it never came to fruition. I felt no apprehension during the remaining minutes. Fear of a cramp is almost as bad as a cramp.

Cheers!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    45 minutes yesterday before class. Coffee and a snack 90 minutes before was a huge help. My legs are returning to normal after Sunday's 15K. Back today for more...
  • kayak4water
    Yep. I tried the same regimen as yesterday. 55 minutes in, one calf muscle threatened to cramp right after push-off, but I said, "No, you don't!" and went back to the wall, rubbed my calf for ten seconds and swam to home base.

The drills are working, though I feel a little wiggle with freestyle. Mindful swimming!

🦋🏊🦋🏊
  • fishgutzy
    Yep. I tried the same regimen as yesterday. 55 minutes in, one calf muscle threatened to cramp right after push-off, but I said, "No, you don't!" and went back to the wall, rubbed my calf for ten seconds and swam to home base.

The drills are working, though I feel a little wiggle with freestyle. Mindful swimming!

🦋🏊🦋🏊

In time it will no longer be much of an issue.
    I don't cramps very often now. When I do I know it is because I didn't drink my normal amount of water during the day.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Today: 1.5 @ 80 minutes
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Laps after lifting. Yay
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    3400m solo swim today. March has been crazy busy so haven't had as much pool time as I'd like. Looking forward to getting back into a routine in April.

8x 400 as

1. Free swim
    2. Free kick fins
    3. Back kick fins
    4. Free pull
    5. Mixed kick fins
    6. 4x 100IM as odds swim evens kick
    7. Free pull
    8. 8x 50 free descend on 60.

200 warmdown
  • fishgutzy
    5.5km yesterday and today.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    5km today

part of the triple 5km swimathon challenge, so same again tomorrow and Thursday!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    1.5 miles today
  • fishgutzy
    Have to take another test day today.
    Lung congestion caused by Chinese pollen allergies wrecked me.
    Managed 2.2km before work yesterday but only made it to 3.3km after work. 5.5km total for the day.
    It is hard for me to just rest when I am in China. Almost as hard as it is to eat properly.
  • beerfoamy
    5km

2 down, 1 to go
    very tired and hungry but quite hyper. 15 seconds faster today
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    ASC last night. ????m. Lost track

Lots of endurance drills, Sprint sets on top of sprint sets with pyramids mixed in.
    The water was cooler today but still not cool enough to allow a really hard progression - after 30mins I was starting to tank from body heat building. By the end I was well wupped.
  • kayak4water
    Some days you feel weak; some days, full of vigor. Today, for me, I felt like I was really pulling myself through and over the water on some 25 butterfly. Doing six 25s of dolphin kick on my side likely helped a bit.

Almost feel asleep at the wheel at 60 mph-- it so terrified me to realize I did a long 5 second blink that I pulled over within two minutes to take twenty in the Burger King parking lot. I have to take a nap to stay awake. I'm turning into a cat

🦋🎶🦋🎶
  • beerfoamy
    5km
    All 3 done! Now to wait for medals!!