Is it possible to lose weight without working out?

Replies

• whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I think you got all the answers you need, but my 2 cents is that you should do whatever workouts you enjoy. If you like the treadmill, use the treadmill. I do think it's good to experiment when you feel up for it, but don't force yourself! If I try something I absolutely hate, I just find something else, because I know I won't be consistent with stuff I loathe.
  • vickygalo
    vickygalo Posts: 41 Member
    Thank you so much!!!! <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    lbride wrote: »
    For me, it's preferable to not work out while focusing on losing weight (otherwise I'll be too hungry)

What percentage of your exercise calories do you eat back? Many posters have said they find that *vigorous* exercise stimulates their appetite - I find that *moderate* exercise is a mild appetite suppressant.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    IMO you don't have to go to the gym... but being active (even if it's on the treadmill) is VERY helpful because you can afford more calories (I'm miserable on sedentary calories).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    calorie balance is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness. If you want to lose weight and be in good shape while retaining your muscle then exercise is required....if you just want to lose weight it is not required.
  • vickygalo
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For me, it's preferable to not work out while focusing on losing weight (otherwise I'll be too hungry)

What percentage of your exercise calories do you eat back? Many posters have said they find that *vigorous* exercise stimulates their appetite - I find that *moderate* exercise is a mild appetite suppressant.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Wait.. I don’t eat baxk any exercise calories! Should I???
  • vickygalo
    vickygalo wrote: »

I just read this and omgim so happy!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member

Yes, eat them back - that is how MFP is designed :)

You can start with eating 50% back and adjust as needed after at least a month - if you lose faster than your weekly weight loss goal, eat a higher percentage back.
  • vickygalo

Yes, eat them back - that is how MFP is designed :)

You can start with eating 50% back and adjust as needed after at least a month - if you lose faster than your weekly weight loss goal, eat a higher percentage back.

thats BEYOND AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Hello!

Newbie here :) I am keeping track of my calories and walk on the treadmill every night for an hour or so. I don’t have a chance to go to the gym just yet as I have a newborn. Is it possible to lose weight without working out? I see so many incredible stories in the Sucess Stories page, but many mention that they go to CrossFit or the gym, something I can’t do at the moment.
    Thank you!!!

Yes, u go girl. I commend you for doing this with a newborn. Don’t give up!! I don’t know your situation, but I know newborns are stressful to care for. You can most definitely do it without exercising.
    Don’t be afraid to reach out if u need help! Good luck and God bless
  • vickyb92xxx
    vickyb92xxx Posts: 3 Member
    When I started my diet my little girl with 3 month old and I ate healthy and just took baby for walks in the pram
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited January 2019
    Recently discovered an 'at home' workout that is super simple and can be done anywhere.

It is a 5x5 circuit consisting of 4 exercises that can be as easy as you need them to be and you can progress to harder version...
    1. Push
    2. Pull
    3. Squat
    4. Hinge

Push is a pushing motion. Starting with something as easy as wall push-ups (doing push ups against a wall) and progress to knee push-ups then to full push-ups

Pull is a pulling motion. Starting with standing pulls like grabbing a railing leaning back and pulling back up, progressing to Australian pulls (hanging under a railing or table or something) and eventually to pull-ups

Squat is pretty self explanatory. You squat as deep as you can, eventually progressing to full deep squats then on to things like box squats and eventually pistol squats

Hinge is core exercises. Starting with bent leg raises and progressing from there moving the legs further out as you progress.

The program is a circuit so you do one exercise after another
    5 push - 5 pull - 5 squat - 5 hinge - Rest for 1-2 mins
    Then repeat 5 times and you're done. All up it takes about 18-20 mins all without leaving the house.

As you improve you can build in a number of ways beyond just progressing to harder versions of each movement.
    - Add additional exercises (add in dips, bridges, etc)
    - increase the number of reps to 8, 10 or beyond
    - add some light weights

I found it when I was searching for a starting callisthenics program to do at the local park (no gym fees!!) and there's loads of youtube videos which show you how to do each of the push/pull/squat/hinge motions in a version to suit your fitness/ability levels.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Oh but to answer your question directly. Yes! I lost 40kg (88lb) last year with pretty much just diet and a little bit of cycling here and there. It's only now that I've lost a significant amount of weight that I'm starting to "work out" (hence the calisthenic program) to improve my strength and fitness.

I honestly don't think I could have started exercising at the weight I was. Trying would have been so frustrating and demoralising that it probably would have done more harm than good.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes, I was so happy to hear when I could eat back the calories burned. Like others, I currently eat back 50% of it. I am currently doing MB12wBT, (just helping me kickstart fitness) which doesn’t advise eating back Exercise calories, I was miserable and starving. But the lovely posters here suggested I do, and since then I’ve stopped being hungry so much and still losing weight just under a kilo a week and I’m happy with that. I am half exercising. I might do about 2-3 days a week of exercise.

I do want to add, if you have a newborn and breastfeeding, you will find yourself pretty hungry after feeding the baby, they burn a lot of calories doing this! You may also find weight drops off slower or not at all feeding. It depends on the person. In Australia, the Australian Breastfeeding Association recommends you eat least 500 calories more a day to sustain breast feeding. So if you’re trying to lose weight on 1200 calories, add 500 and eat around 1700 a day. Of course, definitely check with your local
    Health nurse or doctor to find the best calorie intake for you. :) good luck.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Congratulations on the baby!

As others have said, how you create a calorie deficit is up to you - so it's not necessary at all to exercise to lose weight... but it can help you meet your goals - and also give a sense of achievement on those early days that can sometimes feel a bit draining.

Exercise doesn't just mean hitting the gym - and what you're already doing with the treadmill is great.

I also have a new-ish baby (4 months now) and some of the things I've found good for staying active are:

- Babywearing: babies love the soft fabric wraps - it's like a big hug! I used a wrap carrier from 5 days old and built up to doing quite long walks (10 mile hike with friends last weekend). The carriers are £20ish, so a great budget option, if prams are looking a bit pricey
    - Mother and baby exercise classes: there are some great classes near me where the mums can do bootcamp or circuits or aerobics and the babies watch from a mat next to us. They have volunteer 'baby cuddlers' (two older ladies, whose grandchildren moved abroad) who help entertain the little ones
    - Home weights

And don't forget that you should eat back extra calories if breastfeeding (can log as a negative calorie food)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,155 Member
    I've lost about 60 pounds and have maintained that loss for about 3 years now. I deliberately did not include exercise for the first 40 pounds or so. I didn't want my losses and future maintenance to be dependent on an exercise regimen. I seem to have a talent for injuring myself (icing a pulled quad at this very moment, actually!) and so it's not out of the realm of possibility for me to periodically be out of commission or on limited workouts. After spending my 20's using workouts to manage my weight, I didn't want to end up stalling out or regaining if I couldn't exercise all the time. When I switched from Weight Watchers to MFP and learned more about eating back exercise calories, CICO, etc, I added exercise back into my routine and lost the last 20 pounds. I've started working on a last few vanity pounds and am using both diet and exercise, although now it's looking like it might just be diet for a week or two....
  • meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    I lost 20 pounds without working out 1 day.. I just focused on my calories in and calories out.
    I am working out now though to lose the next 20 pounds for no other reason then I would like to tone and build muscle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I have not set foot in the gym since I was a teen. It hasn't affected my ability to lose weight.