same weight, feeling "fluffy"

Hey guys, any thoughts on this? About a year ago I used a small calorie deficit with intermittent fasting (16:8) and got really cut. Also switched from a cardio focus to lifting focus during this same period. I've maintained the weight loss and am still super lean, but some days I feel/look "fluffy." Does this happen to anyone else, and is there any way to prevent it? I don't add salt to anything, but it does seem like fluid retention, except that it doesn't show up on the scale. Also, I'm sorry if this it tmi--I'm a 48 year old female and not having a cycle anymore, so I don't think it's those hormonal shifts either. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Replies

• ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    My Trainer says that that sort of thing is usually water retention...but it isn't only salt that does it...carbs do it too... He used to say he could see the effects of one slice of bread on his body!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    have you ever seen photos that really cut people take of themselves just a few hours apart? when you change the lighting, body position, time of day, time since the last meal, what was eaten, their midsection looks totally different! i try to keep that in mind.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    This week I feel fluffier than most for a few reasons
    - my period is about to start this week
    - I’ve had more sodium than usual this week
    - Bc I’m about to start my period my bowel movements have been off
    - Not really doing my best with water tbh
    all of these things contribute to the bloating heavy fluffy feeling and usually subsides the week after my period is done
    Every day/week sometimes even hour will be different. Please don’t stress it!
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Thanks guys. Okay, it's annoying, but I will just try not to worry about it. :smile: Thank you!
  • Murrayzaida
    Murrayzaida Posts: 12 Member
    As mentioned, carbs..I am experimenting with changing my macros to more carbs and am definitely not as cut as what I was on higher protein/less carbs. I am finding that certain carbs (and I only eat the good whole stuff) are worse than others and I will probably eliminate them (e.g. beetroot and don't even talk about legumes!).