Arguments in the Supermarket

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I talk to myself in the grocery store, mostly telling myself not to just buy chips and Zebra Cakes. Sometimes it even works. Does that count?
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)

This person extroverts.

I dislike talking to people more than I dislike using the self-checkout.

I like using self-serve so I don't have to talk with anyone. It peeves me when the person manning the area tries to start a conversation.

I also love self checkout. Saves you from that awkward conversation and stare down with the cashier. Lol
  • rickiimarieee
    I have a small confession - I always assume people are rude, mean, or lying when they don't remember me or don't remember someone else. This thread has truly opened my eyes and I swear I am going to think twice about this after realizing that it's "a thing" to not remember someone you went to school with for 9 years in a row albeit ages ago or worked with in 2012. :#

My husband has been gone for the military for 3 weeks and he’ll be lucky if I remember him lmao. Jk. But honestly, if I go a month+ without seeing someone their name and face slips my mind. Close Family is an exception though, I’d never forget my husband or kids or parents.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I have a small confession - I always assume people are rude, mean, or lying when they don't remember me or don't remember someone else. This thread has truly opened my eyes and I swear I am going to think twice about this after realizing that it's "a thing" to not remember someone you went to school with for 9 years in a row albeit ages ago or worked with in 2012. :#

I'm grew up in a small town not far from where I live now, so it's not unusual to see people who know me from there while out and about. Most of the time I have NO IDEA who they are. It sucks, it's awkward and uncomfortable and I hate it. Definitely not trying to be rude, though :confused:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)

I'm with you! If they're going to lay off people so a machine can do the work I'm not going to use it. And like you said where's the discount for the money they saved?

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

I'm grew up in a small town not far from where I live now, so it's not unusual to see people who know me from there while out and about. Most of the time I have NO IDEA who they are. It sucks, it's awkward and uncomfortable and I hate it. Definitely not trying to be rude, though :confused:

I should have mentioned this earlier but I've told people I didn't remember them...only a handful of times...but it was always "mean girls" from my high school days who were extremely popular. I was never bullied by them but I wasn't part of their circle and THEY HATE IT SO MUCH when I say "huh no, I don't remember you, sorry" and they're like "BUT I AM ALLISON LASTNAME" hahahaha

So that's part of why I assumed others were kind of doing the same. I'm a weirdo who remembers *everyone* so I probably knew she was Allison and which street she lived on, not because I was her friend or cared at all but because she rode my bus.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

I should have mentioned this earlier but I've told people I didn't remember them...only a handful of times...but it was always "mean girls" from my high school days who were extremely popular. I was never bullied by them but I wasn't part of their circle and THEY HATE IT SO MUCH when I say "huh no, I don't remember you, sorry" and they're like "BUT I AM ALLISON LASTNAME" hahahaha

So that's part of why I assumed others were kind of doing the same. I'm a weirdo who remembers *everyone* so I probably knew she was Allison and which street she lived on, not because I was her friend or cared at all but because she rode my bus.

I have power trip fantasies about doing this. Mostly with old roommates in college. The high school mean girls tended to leave me alone too, but I legit probably wouldn't remember them so it would be honest lol.
  • OGingerBeardMan
    OGingerBeardMan Posts: 156 Member
    Shopping conundrums: I hate grocery shopping, but I love to cook. I hate doing my shopping online because I love choosing my own produce. I thought I had more to say on the matter, but that's it for now.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    @MikePTY I am scratching my head trying to figure out what you said that made someone flag your post. My husband does the same thing. He does most of the cleaning, cooking, and shopping - especially December to April when his lobster boat is out of the water. I don't see anything flag-worthy about that.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Anyway back to topic.

Two things for me. My husband is a retired market research manager for a large beverage company. Going shopping with him is torture. One of his jobs was to study the competitors packaging and why they chose certain new designs, sizing (different areas of the country prefer different sizes of his product, believe it or not), display designs etc. So he likes to take his time in the store seeing what’s up in product packaging. He’s like an old woman in an antiques market who has to stop and look at everything, pick it up, look it over. Seriously!!!!!!

I love this. I think packaging is so cool, but I do see how doing this EVERY TIME would get frustrating.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    I love grocery shopping. I'm having a major kitchen renovation going on right now, and I am DYING because I have to limit my grocery shopping to fit into a tiny fridge. But on the upside I'm working through my PB + eating a lot of bagels!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    We do our shopping usually on Sunday. We plan out what we're going to eat for the week, make a list of things we need for that and for other staple items and go shopping. Never really had any issues.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I loathe shopping in all forms. I make a list of what we'll need for the week, as close to the order they're found in the aisles as I can, and go by myself. It's one of the few times during the week my husband can have one on one time with our special needs daughter. And, one of the few times I get out alone. No issues.
  • rickiimarieee

I moved away from the area I grew up so I don’t see people from high school, but I was bullied in high school by the mean girls. I’m actually in the process of negotiating a house from the area I grew up in so if I see them I will totally do this. Lol.
  • rickiimarieee

Tbh I probably won’t remember them, not because they slipped my mind because they traumatized my teen years but because they use to make fun of me for being a “chunky” girl, they were all skinny and fit and now they’re all huge. Not making fun of them in the slightest for that but it’s just ironic how the cookie crumbles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    I always thought I was very introverted, but reading through these posts makes me think I may not be as hard-core as I thought! :smile:

I make sure to always chat with the guy at the fish counter. Over the years we've learned a lot about each other (when he is out of a particular fish he knows I check the alternatives using the USDA database and knows I track my calories in MFP)... sometimes these types of relationships can be very useful. He always gives me to best cuts, and will weigh the fish after he has skinned it for me.

You sound like my husband. He's not really a natural extrovert, but does a very good job passing as one. He gets to know the butcher, the cashiers, the store manager, etc., by name. He can also engage in small talk with other people waiting in the check out line without being weird and awkward. Unlike me.

That sounds like me. I talk to people. I'm definitely a natural introvert and shy by nature, but have worked really hard at learning to be more social (important for me because as a widowed/orphaned/childless/only child, I need social connections for best mental health vs being a hermit). It really is a skillset, one that can be sharpened with practice (if one cares; I'm not saying it's essential for all).

While I worked on the skillset mostly in order to form/maintain friendships, I do use it on cashiers, waitstaff, etc. ;) I don't know whether I'm weird and awkward or not, though I do feel that way sometimes. It's OK.

And I still s**k at remembering names. (I've gotten better at handling it, though.)

Harkening back to a PP: I do hate self-checkout, though.