Women Who Lift

Replies

• Fitcitypt
    Fitcitypt Posts: 5 Member
    I think woman who lift are hot
  • universeismine
    universeismine Posts: 3 Member
    Hello ladies! I’ve been power lifting for 9 months with a coach/personal trainer. My gym is full of women- which is inspiring. Do any of you face the need to modify lifts and workouts due to knee injuries and/or tri compartmental osteoarthritis?
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Love lifting! I started lifting with NROL, bc my Mother in law broke her hip, and I wanted to build bone density for later in life. Over the past several years I've done Strong Curves, 5x5, strong lifts, and a little crossfit here and there. I'm currently doing 3x per week total body based on the Bret Contreras "lifting template". I've seen good results in my body, but really struggling with eating to fuel lifts/ vs eating to lose weight. I have a LOT of extra body fat (35%) and would love to get down to 26% or so.. but the gym really suffers when I cut calories.

Last year I took a break from the gym for a whole year and focused on diet. Lost ~30 lbs, but slowly gained half of it back what with vacations and weekends. Now I'm back in the gym and shooting for 1700 on lifting days and 1400 on non lifting, with a maintenance calorie day (~2100) once every 10 days or so, trying to salvage both weight and strength before they are both gone!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Hello ladies! I’ve been power lifting for 9 months with a coach/personal trainer. My gym is full of women- which is inspiring. Do any of you face the need to modify lifts and workouts due to knee injuries and/or tri compartmental osteoarthritis?

Me. I am going for an xray this week as a frist step as to what might be going on with my knee. I had/have Osgoode-Schlatter disease growing up and then a bone chipped during a fall from skiingyears ago. This winter I experienced worse than usual inflammation and pain, so the xray is a first step in looking at what’s going on. Walking seems to affect it most right now, but any physical activity I do is affected by how my knee feels.

I used to have patella displacement and/or dislocations, but lifting weights has really helped with that issue.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Lifting for about 3 years now, started with NROL4W, cycled through various bodybuilding workouts, now running Strong Curves Advanced 4x/week and lifting with/helping a newbie friend just starting out with NROL4W 2x/week. I used to be a runner, but no more...love lifting!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I lifted and then stopped. The gym I went to became too expensive. I never had a program, I would do what my trainer told me (when I was at that gym). Now I am back at it, but I end up doing what a friend tells me to do since her mom was a professional weight lifter, so I trust her judgement. However, I've decided that I need something more structured, so I just started the beginner Strong Curves program on Monday. The first 4 weeks are mostly body weight and I really want to add weights, but I want to progress the way Bret says, so I'm going to take my time and get there when I get there.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I lifted and then stopped. The gym I went to became too expensive. I never had a program, I would do what my trainer told me (when I was at that gym). Now I am back at it, but I end up doing what a friend tells me to do since her mom was a professional weight lifter, so I trust her judgement. However, I've decided that I need something more structured, so I just started the beginner Strong Curves program on Monday. The first 4 weeks are mostly body weight and I really want to add weights, but I want to progress the way Bret says, so I'm going to take my time and get there when I get there.

Hang in there and do what the program says.
    I've done that. Started as a complete noob but now doing the advanced SC program and loving it.

Good progress too. Bum, legs, back, shoulders and arms are nicely changing.

Good luck!
  • NightShadeMary
    NightShadeMary Posts: 16 Member
    I'm getting back into strength training now. It makes me feel so powerful. I love it!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Anna28518 wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Hang in there and do what the program says.
    I've done that. Started as a complete noob but now doing the advanced SC program and loving it.

Good progress too. Bum, legs, back, shoulders and arms are nicely changing.

Good luck!

Thank you! Since I pole dance, I have a lot of upper body strength, so it's easy to want to try to progress faster than I need to.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    If you hadn't already added me, I have added everyone. I love reading everyone's stories! You all are so inspiring!!
  • lenka1
    lenka1 Posts: 295 Member
    I loved reading everyone’s stories! I started lifting about 5.5m ago for the first time ever in my life (32y old) and even though I’m at the very beginning of it - I’m loving it. The changes to body and mindset.

I do 4 day split upper lower upper lower for about 60-70mins a session.

Lost about 30 pounds. Still 15 more to go before I can eat maintenance and prob see some more muscle gain.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    I have been lifting for a couple of years but not strictly and not as consistent as I would like. I am always second guessing myself and would LOVE to have more friends that lift.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    I have just recently (past 3 months or so) gotten back into lifting, I mean I never really stopped, but was only doing it once in a while. I am back to a regular workout schedule, I lift usually 4 days a week, sometimes I can only get in 3, but I shoot for each body part to be hit twice a week. I dont follow a specific program, but what I do is sorta based off program I have done if that makes any since at all. anyways feel free to add me. I dont have many female lifters as friends either.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Hi. Where can I get this app at? I need to follow something, program or something. I’m lost

I did it faily steady last year but started taking it more seriously this year...it’s been a lot of fun! I still throw in cardio as that’s beneficial to my obstacle course training 🙂 I have baby biceps right now but they’ll grow! I’m following the Thinner, Leaner, Stronger program with lots of compound lifts over a 5 day split.

vqd0dqk41cbn.jpeg

• scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    TLS is a book you can get on Amazon! I must add that it’s a bit hard to understand the layouts of the workouts at first but it’s awesome for using compound lifts that work out multiple muscles in a single move. Once I figured it out my weight lifting took off...I do enjoy it!

HOWEVER if you’re just dipping your toes into weight lifting I highly recommend downloading the 5x5 app! It’s super simple and 100% free ❤️ I did this all last year (though I focused more on my cardio in 2018). It’s a Monday/Wednesday/Friday type of schedule. It’s so easy to follow and amazing for beginners! He has videos to help you learn the lift but a simple google search works just as well 🙂
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    Hi. Where can I get this app at? I need to follow something, program or something. I’m lost

I did it faily steady last year but started taking it more seriously this year...it’s been a lot of fun! I still throw in cardio as that’s beneficial to my obstacle course training 🙂 I have baby biceps right now but they’ll grow! I’m following the Thinner, Leaner, Stronger program with lots of compound lifts over a 5 day split.

vqd0dqk41cbn.jpeg

• Amazon314
    Amazon314 Posts: 19 Member
    I've been lifting on and off since highschool, but just recently bought myself my own weights and rack for home. I don't follow any workout specifically just try to piece together lifts I like into something alternating upper and lower days. I would love to be friends with anyone who posts their workouts as having a plan of what to do keeps me more commited. That and a little competition to drive me forward.

Did upper body tonight and about to go to sleep, so you get a photo in my pjs with my air pineappled lol