Camping/picnic food

With summer coming up I get invited to bar-b-cues. what foods would you recommend for me to eat keeping in mind that I am trying to keep to low calories and not be rude. I am not a vegetarian nor are my friends. At this rate a package of hotdogs is going to last the entire summer.

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Some of the things I bring include a vegetable or fruit platter, broccoli salad, watermelon, grilled chicken, grilled vegetables (usually summer squash and zucchini tossed with a bit of olive oil and garlic powder), tossed salad, chicken sausages, hummus and pita chips, or grilled sweet potato wedges.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I used to go to a bbq, and have a hamburger AND a hot dog. AND all the sides and fixin's that I could get, AND have a wine cooler beer (or two). Well, if I plan to keep the weight I lost off, that won't work. So I do things differently now.

What I do now:
    -Pick ONLY my favorites instead of one of everything (potluck style). This may mean I pass over the potato chips and mystery pasta salad only have the potato salad and beans that day.
    -Also, load up on the veggies and fruits if they are available. You can have a whole crap load of veggie tray and watermelon for very few calories.
    -Pick ONE protien. I pick whatever I am in the mood for that day, but can only have 1. (This means I cant have BOTH a brat and a burger. or both a piece of chicken and a rib)
    -Skip the bun/bread. If you're really wanting to cut the calories, this can save you 100-300 calories.
    - Don't drink your calories. And if you do, limit what you drink. Have one soda. OR one adult beverage. Not both. Drink water the rest of the time.
    - Don't let your plate heap. If it doesn't fit on your plate in one layer, leave it behind.
    - If dessert is available, I allow myself ONE piece of the kind I like the best. (No loading up on one of each of a variety like I used to).

Most of all: Just have fun. If you mess up and overeat it's just 1 day. Get back on track the next day. :smile: Best of luck with upcoming BBQ season!

I can't say it any better than that! ^^
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Some of the things I bring include a vegetable or fruit platter, broccoli salad, watermelon, grilled chicken, grilled vegetables (usually summer squash and zucchini tossed with a bit of olive oil and garlic powder), tossed salad, chicken sausages, hummus and pita chips, or grilled sweet potato wedges.

These are all great suggestions if you are being asked to contribute a dish or two.

If not, I found that making sure I didn't arrive at the BBQ hungry was my best bet. Allowed me to still enjoy a bit of whatever was offered without going nuts.

Also, if I know that there's going to be a feast like this on the weekend, I'll cut back on some of my calories each day prior and 'bank' them towards what I'll eat that day.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member

Oh yeah, and if you're asked to bring something (or if you offer) Bring a salad. That way you know you are guaranteed a low calorie option! AND you're being polite. :wink: If your friends ask "hey have you tried my..." Just say "I would love to, but I'm already full. Thank you" And leave it at that. People seem to take "I'm full" better then "Oh I'm trying to watch what I eat so I cant".
  • snickerscharlie
    Oh yeah, and if you're asked to bring something (or if you offer) Bring a salad. That way you know you are guaranteed a low calorie option! AND you're being polite. :wink: If your friends ask "hey have you tried my..." Just say "I would love to, but I'm already full. Thank you" And leave it at that. People seem to take "I'm full" better then "Oh I'm trying to watch what I eat so I cant".

Yup. Because saying the latter can also sometimes come across as virtue signalling, especially if the person offering it to you is overweight. ;)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Choices you make will help keep you on track. Grilled meat, raw veggies, fresh fruit are usually available at picnics. If not, offer to bring a tray. If you’re requested to bring your own meat for grilling, bring a small chicken breast, steak, pork chop.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

These are all great suggestions if you are being asked to contribute a dish or two.

If not, I found that making sure I didn't arrive at the BBQ hungry was my best bet. Allowed me to still enjoy a bit of whatever was offered without going nuts.

Also, if I know that there's going to be a feast like this on the weekend, I'll cut back on some of my calories each day prior and 'bank' them towards what I'll eat that day.

This is my normal strategy as well. I also eat very slowly so that my one plate of food lasts into the second helping for other people.

I am probably slightly unusual in that I don't like bbqs typically. More often than not the food is overcooked and I hate wasting calories on dry meat. I live in the south so at times the salads are mayonnaise with a little potato or cole slaw for flavor. As long as the cook doesn't go stupid with the paprika I find deviled eggs to be something I usually enjoy. In order to get most of the yolk to fit you really can't go too overboard on the mayo.

• rockyhi512
    rockyhi512 Posts: 42 Member
    Thank you all for your advice. There are some really good ideas. Summer has always been hard on me when it comes to weight loss, in that it doesn't happen. I am determined to be successful this time. My first serious test will be at the family reunion at the end of June. I will take it all under consideration.
  • snickerscharlie
    NovusDies wrote: »

This is my normal strategy as well. I also eat very slowly so that my one plate of food lasts into the second helping for other people.

I am probably slightly unusual in that I don't like bbqs typically. More often than not the food is overcooked and I hate wasting calories on dry meat. I live in the south so at times the salads are mayonnaise with a little potato or cole slaw for flavor. As long as the cook doesn't go stupid with the paprika I find deviled eggs to be something I usually enjoy. In order to get most of the yolk to fit you really can't go too overboard on the mayo.

Key point!
  • rockyhi512
    rockyhi512 Posts: 42 Member
    @ NovusDies
    My body does not forgive for one bad day. It takes four days of strict menu 1500 Cal) and exercise to recover. I realize that it is water and salt, but tell that to my body. Last birthday a Wednesday 3400 calories= +4lb. It took till Monday to get back to morning weight.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    rockyhi512 wrote: »
    @ NovusDies
    My body does not forgive for one bad day. It takes four days of strict menu 1500 Cal) and exercise to recover. I realize that it is water and salt, but tell that to my body. Last birthday a Wednesday 3400 calories= +4lb. It took till Monday to get back to morning weight.

You are not "recovering" from anything. This is a normal function of your body and it has been happening your entire life. You just realize it now because you are watching it.

You cannot be scared of calories or food. You should also not be scared of weight fluctuations. It isn't a helpful mindset.

+1

After too many years of "Oh well, my day is shot might as well screw up the whole week/month/year." I can tell you that just getting back to whatever you were doing before (for weight loss) after an indulgence/meal/messing up is the only way to go. Your weight could fluctuate like that even if you are eating and excersising exactly to plan. There are many factors that come into play when it comes to water weight gain. Treating it as actual weight gain is unhelpful, and can cause one to give up early. Or worse- lead to a path of disordered eating.

It's the overall trend you are looking for. For me, it's helpful to weigh daily (at the same time every day) and put it into a weight trending app. My weight bounces all over, and often if I see a new low I wont see it again for a couple of weeks after. As long as my app says my trend line is down, I know I'm doing good. It averages out all the entries so you see an average daily weight and helps me to ignore all the crazy fluctuations.

If weight in general stresses you out, then quit weighing and go by measurements only. Or how your clothes fit. Whatever works best for you and helps you stay on track without over stressing yourself. It's worth noting that a 4lb high that takes several days to come off is perfectly normal.

This thread, and the link contained inside might be beneficial for you to read.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations