Use the word "calories" and everybody loses their minds

124»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    nope but then again I don't say no I can't becasue I don't have enough calories....doesn't seem to be a point to that statement.

I usually just say no thanks...if asked why I tell them why...not hungry, don't feel like it, doesn't look good etc.

I say no because I don't want it not because I can't eat it and using that word "can't" indicates an issue...

You can eat anything and then work it off if you so choose or don't work it off....and give up something else later.

I

I say "I don't have enough calories" or "It's not worth the calories" so I can eat something else I'm making room for.

I decided not to worry about people's hangups about calories. I'm being the change I wish to see. It really only helps them if I'm not embarrassed to talk about something that's improved my life immensely.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    It is so annoying at work because coworkers will see some yummy food I am eating and say "aren't you on a diet?", as if the only foods I should be eating are lettuce. When I tell them I am counting calories their eyes glaze over.
  • Orphia
    You don’t have to count calories to lose weight. On Twitter recently, I was talking about how weight loss depends on your energy equation but I mentioned “calories”, and even a PhD student whose thesis is on nutrition was really nasty and also accused me of saying calorie counting is the only way.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I would agree with this, but note that it is getting better. I never offered advice unless asked, but as soon as I mentioned calories - or God forbid - the counting of the calories...then the eyes glaze over, the mind and body go slack... So you do keto? So you no do keto?

Recently though I've seen a number of people using MFP or similar tool. I hear "how many calories does that have?" more often. Of course this is only my n=1.

Taking a step back it's amazing to see just how much misinformation and disinformation is out there designed for weight management failure - much of this coming from our alleged "trusted" institutions.

A woman cornered me for advice a few weeks ago and when I told her what I did she said "awww" with a mournful sigh inflection. I took it to mean she wanted a sexier answer.

I have to admit this was me many years ago! I remember seeing a guy from one of my sports teams who had lost a bunch of weight between seasons and I asked him how he did it and he said "eat less, move more." I remember being actually disappointed as I was hoping for a sexier answer!! I look back and laugh now and am so grateful for MFP and seeing the truth!
  • Orphia
    NovusDies wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I would agree with this, but note that it is getting better. I never offered advice unless asked, but as soon as I mentioned calories - or God forbid - the counting of the calories...then the eyes glaze over, the mind and body go slack... So you do keto? So you no do keto?

Recently though I've seen a number of people using MFP or similar tool. I hear "how many calories does that have?" more often. Of course this is only my n=1.

Taking a step back it's amazing to see just how much misinformation and disinformation is out there designed for weight management failure - much of this coming from our alleged "trusted" institutions.

A woman cornered me for advice a few weeks ago and when I told her what I did she said "awww" with a mournful sigh inflection. I took it to mean she wanted a sexier answer.

I have to admit this was me many years ago! I remember seeing a guy from one of my sports teams who had lost a bunch of weight between seasons and I asked him how he did it and he said "eat less, move more." I remember being actually disappointed as I was hoping for a sexier answer!! I look back and laugh now and am so grateful for MFP and seeing the truth!

Yep.

I'd even now phrase it more as:

I take in less energy than I burn.