Arguments in the Supermarket

123457»

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    like to point out (putting on my psychologists hat) - introversion/extroversion has nothing to do with being shy or talking to people etc - its about how you derive energy - if you find yourself energized by being around ppl then are you an extrovert; if you need to be alone to recharge then you are an introvert - people are always amazed when i score high on the introvert scale because there are like you? and yup - there is nothing i prefer to do more after a long day/week - then just be at home without being around people

This is me! One of the reasons I shop at 5 a.m. on weekends is to avoid people. I just want to get it over with and spend the rest of the day puttering around the house and enjoying the peace. I need serious recharge time.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    I always thought I was very introverted, but reading through these posts makes me think I may not be as hard-core as I thought! :smile:

I make sure to always chat with the guy at the fish counter. Over the years we've learned a lot about each other (when he is out of a particular fish he knows I check the alternatives using the USDA database and knows I track my calories in MFP)... sometimes these types of relationships can be very useful. He always gives me to best cuts, and will weigh the fish after he has skinned it for me.

You sound like my husband. He's not really a natural extrovert, but does a very good job passing as one. He gets to know the butcher, the cashiers, the store manager, etc., by name. He can also engage in small talk with other people waiting in the check out line without being weird and awkward. Unlike me.

I have a job where I spend all day talking to people. I am very cheerful and talkative with them, but at the end of the day I am very definitely an introvert. The self checkout is my best friend (to bring back to topic).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I hate self checkout because something always gets screwed up and I get the dreaded “please wait for assistance” message. Inevitably I used self checkout because I was in a hurry, and now I am waiting for assistance. It takes less time and is less stressful and contributes to someone’s employment to just use the regular checkout line. Unless I have less than 5 items and none of them are produce.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I was out shopping yesterday and not only did I see an elderly couple out shopping together, they had their arms around each other. It melted my heart. I would have sneaked a photo to post here but it would have been a wee bit stalkerish.

Older couples holding hands or helping physically support one another always make me think "Now they've seen some *kitten* together and lasted through it!" Maybe they're newlyweds, for all I know. But it's still cute.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Leave the kids home.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    I love to grocery shop (most of the time, there are days I hate it). In fact, this weekend I am traveling 2 hours to Cincinnati to go to Jungle Jim's. I go like twice a year and spend a few hours there. So many things to look at!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,956 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I was out shopping yesterday and not only did I see an elderly couple out shopping together, they had their arms around each other. It melted my heart. I would have sneaked a photo to post here but it would have been a wee bit stalkerish.

I used to kind of envy happy young couples sometimes, as I hit middle age. Now I envy happy old ones.

Yeah, it's off topic.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)

Right, it is slower and less convenient and I feel I should be compensated for doing what should be an employee's job.

I do prefer the way I bag though.
  • kshama2001
    I just want to say that I'm terrified of running into people I know at the grocery store. I'm the definition of awkward turtle and nothing is more awkward than trying to say hello and make short conversation with a work colleague that you're not really friends with but are on somewhat nice terms with. I'm just awkward in general.

I’m the same way, I don’t know how to short conversate and I have a terrible memory so whenever people I use to work with come up or old friends and I don’t remember I stare blankly because I have no idea who it is and they’re like you remember me? I’m like no sorry. So it makes it all the more awkward.

I have a theory that really shy people suffer from some kind of psychological disability remembering faces and names, and it just kind of builds on itself. It’s truly a “thing”.

I got stopped by a woman today who greeted me warmly, and I was absolutely frozen. I mean I went total Deer in the Headlights. I couldn’t remember if she was the director of the museum I’ve volunteered at for years, or a neighbor who is in a group I see fairly often. It’s even worse trying to keep men straight. At least women have relatively consistent hairdos to identify them.

It’s like absolute social paralysis. I live in fear of sticking my foot in my mouth because I’m always calling people I know well by the wrong name, or worrying “was that so and so I just walked past, will they think I’m snubbing them if I don’t say something”, and by the time I’ve decided either the moment is past or it IS the wrong person.

It’s like Name & Face Dyslexia.

And my husband, bless his heart, is even worse than me. Thank God we found one another!

Seriously, it must be why I hate it. Just a couple weeks ago, I was walking in the mall and someone called out my name. I turned around and they were a bit far away but should have been close enough to recognize. It took me a minute and I recognized them more by their voice than how they looked. It was my coworker, who I had just been talking to MINUTES before I left to go walk at the mall. Seriously, I'm horrible with faces out of context. It's always the other person who recognizes me.

Ya, I have a hard time with people out of context. I ran into someone at the VA medical center last week. She was calling my name. I had no idea who she was. Fortunately, she was wearing a name tag. She is my ex-neighbor's daughter. I lived in their upstairs for four years and when she wasn't living in the house too she was visiting, so I'd seen her a lot, but I had a total blank.
  • kshama2001
    like to point out (putting on my psychologists hat) - introversion/extroversion has nothing to do with being shy or talking to people etc - its about how you derive energy - if you find yourself energized by being around ppl then are you an extrovert; if you need to be alone to recharge then you are an introvert - people are always amazed when i score high on the introvert scale because there are like you? and yup - there is nothing i prefer to do more after a long day/week - then just be at home without being around people

Oh, that was interesting! No wonder I am always so exhausted after meetings and want to go recharge in the woods.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who despises the self-checkout? If I have to ring up and bag my own stuff I should get a discount. I don't mind for a couple of things, but when I'm doing a large shop it's a serious pain and things won't ring up right and I can never find the code for the bag of ice I'm going to grab on the way out.

I tend to shop really early in the morning on Saturdays and none of the checkout lines are open, you have to use the self-checkout. Fortunately the cashier tending the self-checkout is very nice and does it for me. :)

Right, it is slower and less convenient and I feel I should be compensated for doing what should be an employee's job.

[/b]I do prefer the way I bag though[/b].

I hate how cashiers bag. They put food in with chemicals, etc. like there’s no reason bleach and hamburger should be in the same bag.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2019

I hate how cashiers bag. They put food in with chemicals, etc. like there’s no reason bleach and hamburger should be in the same bag.

1st job ever was bagging groceries...and prefer bagging groceries myself because kids these days can't use common sense (or what should be common sense). No, you don't put frozen vegetables with refrigerated dairy, bananas in the same bag as bread (wtf), mix frozen & fresh, etc. I'll even organize things how they should be bagged (in discrete clusters) & they still get bagged based on space (that's not all there is to bagging groceries!)

Fairly rarely, I will have a clerk/cashier who is able to "read my mind" when I lay stuff out how it should be bagged (make things easy)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    What’s wrong with putting frozen veggies and refrigerated dairy together? Or bananas and bread?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think Keto_Vampire is the strictest grocery bagger in all the land.

When I worked at a supermarket, they made the baggers go through pretty hardcore training - to the point it was hilarious - but they would have been fine with cold/cold together in the same bag (frozen peas and dairy for instance).

I admit I'd do bananas & bread in one bag together if those were the only 2 items in it, and bananas were on bottom.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2019
    whmscll wrote: »
    What’s wrong with putting frozen veggies and refrigerated dairy together? Or bananas and bread?

Dairy can (partially - local areas surrounding frozen food) freeze & bread can get crushed
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member

1st job ever was bagging groceries...and prefer bagging groceries myself because kids these days can't use common sense (or what should be common sense). No, you don't put frozen vegetables with refrigerated dairy, bananas in the same bag as bread (wtf), mix frozen & fresh, etc. I'll even organize things how they should be bagged (in discrete clusters) & they still get bagged based on space (that's not all there is to bagging groceries!)

Fairly rarely, I will have a clerk/cashier who is able to "read my mind" when I lay stuff out how it should be bagged (make things easy)

When I use someone to cash out, I always put my items in the exact way I want it bagged. Like freezer stuff with freezer stuff and bread with bread, chips with chips, cans with cans, etc. I always find my chemicals with food. Like my laundry detergent with fresh vegetables or floor cleaner with noodles, etc. I’d rather just check out and bag myself. But I do agree food prices should be cut or something with the money they’re saving from not having employees.