Bird Watching

newmeadow
newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
Do you? Or do you think it's for old people with grey hair and binoculars on tour buses?

I love to hear owls hoot but I've never actually seen one. I think they're very beautiful in a weird way.

I once saw a large spotted hawk fly out of the woods while I was on the highway carrying a snake in his beak. I was captivated but also, anxious. I said to myself please please don't let him drop that snake as I'm driving and have it land on my windshield.

I love red cardinals and always feel special after I see one.

When I was small I used to look for bluebird eggs. Tiny blue eggs. I often found them in and around the neighborhood I lived in at the time. They'd fallen out of the nest. Funny what you can find if you actually look.

Me and my mother once saw a large blue crane standing on a rock in a commercial bay. It was rather exciting and my mother asked me if it might be on the 5 o'clock news, the sighting was so rare. No Mother, but it was cute that you asked.

I see wild turkeys walking by the road about once a week. Usually they're not too chubby but one last month was a real plumper. I've never seen them displaying full plumage though. Their tail feathers are always folded up.

I saw an odd looking bird the other day on a fence on a country road. It was huge, white and the breed was unrecognizable. I wish I had gone back and taken a picture.

Replies

• pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    I always enjoy seeing the big hawks sitting in the phone lines when I’m driving and the big buzzards. Today I saw a hawk up on his usual phone line perch but today he was eating a mouse up there!
  • newmeadow
    I always enjoy seeing the big hawks sitting in the phone lines when I’m driving and the big buzzards. Today I saw a hawk up on his usual phone line perch but today he was eating a mouse up there!

You reminded me! I saw a buzzard for the first time in my life the other day standing by a rabbit carcass by the side of a very busy road. It looked just like in the movies. And it wasn't a-scared of the cars.

• newmeadow
    I live right by some of the original protected lands, and so there are always birds flying about. I don’t birdwatch with binoculars, but my son and I make plenty of bird feeders and hang them about our lawn to watch all the birds come in. He seems to really enjoy it, as do I, mostly. In large flocks they can freak me out little though. I don’t consider it an “old people thing”, I’m sure I do plenty that’s considered old, and mostly I think people should just do what they enjoy.

Fun memories. My Brownie troupe used collect pine cones and then spread peanut butter on them, coat them with seeds and hand them on strings by the window as bird feeders.

• newmeadow
    We have the River Clyde running through Glasgow, swans swim up and down there, and have their nests on the banks. They use the same nesting site every year. So you see the baby swans and when I used to live right beside the Clyde I got to see the babies grow up. Was nice. They have geese there too now (geese been there for a while now) and there is lots of ducks. I like ducks. Can see some pretty strange looking ones too lol. But yeah, lots of lakes and ponds and rivers with the swans. I like them.

I used to date a falconer so he had all the big birds of prey. Owls too. I was a little afraid tbh cos these were big birds that looked like they could bite your head off....he looked after a friends parrot one time, a very big parrot. Again, beautiful bird but capable of ripping your skin, not good. Lol.

When out and about, especially just now I'm enjoying the spring bird song and seeing lots of little birds prancing about and flying hither and thither. Think they are little robins or sparrows. Tiny birds. But with their familiar spring songs.

I thought that was a medieval thing like back in King Arthur's time. I'm entranced. I suppose falconing was his hobby rather than his profession. Either way, it's very cool.

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Owls are super cool, think I've only seen 2. My moms house borders conservation property and I saw one in a tree one day, and one killing something in the snow another time.

When I lived (in another place) there were a lot of ravens, to me they looked like fat crows. I think they may be my favourite because of their mimicry, it was so interesting to hear.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I love watching birds. Not in the traditional sense where some people watch to spot certain birds, I just like to look at them.

In my old house I had a dormer window in my bedroom that was over the roof of the back porch and birds used to like to hang out there. I'd sit in the window and watch them do their thing, it was very relaxing. They were just sparrows, nothing exotic.

I've had a pileated woodpecker in my back yard. There are great blue herons in the river where I sometimes walk the dogs.

Our office used to be in a heritage building that was getting exterior restoration done so there was scaffolding up the side where my window was. Pigeons would hang out there a lot. One day we could hear some scuffling outside the window and thought two of the pigeons were fighting. Upon closer inspection, they were mating. :D
  • Vikka_V
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I also went on an Owl Prowl last year and heard baby screech owls hooting. Recently saw a road runner. Love love love birds.

Do any of yours talk?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I also went on an Owl Prowl last year and heard baby screech owls hooting. Recently saw a road runner. Love love love birds.

Do any of yours talk?

One of my fluffers says her name, Kiwi and Come Here. They make kissy noises and cluck like chickens. I tell them to cluck and they cluck. <3

They are not big talkers though.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    edited April 2019
    Anyone ever do a Big Year?

ETA : it’s a movie - it fits the discussion
  • Vikka_V

Do any of yours talk?

One of my fluffers says her name, Kiwi and Come Here. They make kissy noises and cluck like chickens. I tell them to cluck and they cluck. <3

So sweet!
    I've considered getting a bird, but have heard they can be loud and require a lot more attention than people realize.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member

Do any of yours talk?

So sweet!
    I've considered getting a bird, but have heard they can be loud and require a lot more attention than people realize.

This is very true. Many people get birds when they have other predatory pets or they get one and the novelty wears off. It can be sad. They are a long commitment and require more attention than people realize. There are many rescue birds in need of homes but they may be more prone to behavioral problems. I would say definitely do major research first before getting any bird.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I don’t watch the birds as much as they watch me when I’m running by :D

vacyshhb3v0b.jpeg
    Hawk, great blue heron and a photobombing hummingbird.

xmd531i7b1q5.jpeg
    Huge turkey vulture.

9dxomzdcaczj.jpeg
    Cobra chickens!!! :D
  • Birdlover88
    Birdlover88 Posts: 6 Member
    Yes, hello 😁
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Yes. I love to bird watch. I am the Bird Whisperer. An emu walked up to me one day. I live in southern California. I guess he was lost. That was my proudest moment. Here is my emu friend. i2hrszmy6d0a.jpg

Are you familiar with the Cassowary? If there is better evidence that the Dinos are closely related to birds...
    itupuv0hsib7.jpeg
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Bird watching during day but switch to Bat watching at night. Yes I know they’re basically flying rodents but they’re adorable.

wmfbt5osh437.jpeg

pj6dwadin9jv.jpeg

dlh9wio2kpp5.jpeg

fdag4wykqo12.gif

Hooolyyy shiiit. Get a load of this guy.

m5xy28tovj3i.jpeg