Bird Watching

Replies

• newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Bird watching during day but switch to Bat watching at night. Yes I know they’re basically flying rodents but they’re adorable.

wmfbt5osh437.jpeg

pj6dwadin9jv.jpeg

dlh9wio2kpp5.jpeg

fdag4wykqo12.gif

Hooolyyy shiiit. Get a load of this guy.

m5xy28tovj3i.jpeg

Oh please don't let that guy live near me. I would need years of counseling if I ever came upon that thing.
  • newmeadow
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Bird is also slang for women in the UK. I happen to know a few bird watchers, yes.

I didn't know that was current. I thought it was limited to the Roger Daltry/Eric Clapton generation. It's good to learn that it's classic, timeless slang.
  • newmeadow
    Yes, hello 😁

Hi Birdlover.
  • newmeadow
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Yes. I love to bird watch. I am the Bird Whisperer. An emu walked up to me one day. I live in southern California. I guess he was lost. That was my proudest moment. Here is my emu friend. i2hrszmy6d0a.jpg

You're making me want to move to California just to pick up one of these things hitch hiking. This is, like, prehistoric.
  • newmeadow
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Owls are super cool, think I've only seen 2. My moms house borders conservation property and I saw one in a tree one day, and one killing something in the snow another time.

When I lived (in another place) there were a lot of ravens, to me they looked like fat crows. I think they may be my favourite because of their mimicry, it was so interesting to hear.

Ravens are so Edgar Allen Poe. Admittedly I wouldn't know the difference between one and a crow, but the mimicry angle is way interesting. They must be quite intelligent.
  • newmeadow
    ythannah wrote: »
    I love watching birds. Not in the traditional sense where some people watch to spot certain birds, I just like to look at them.

In my old house I had a dormer window in my bedroom that was over the roof of the back porch and birds used to like to hang out there. I'd sit in the window and watch them do their thing, it was very relaxing. They were just sparrows, nothing exotic.

I've had a pileated woodpecker in my back yard. There are great blue herons in the river where I sometimes walk the dogs.

Our office used to be in a heritage building that was getting exterior restoration done so there was scaffolding up the side where my window was. Pigeons would hang out there a lot. One day we could hear some scuffling outside the window and thought two of the pigeons were fighting. Upon closer inspection, they were mating. :D

I'm with you on this. Watching birds out a window put things in better perspective for me. After watching for 10 minutes or so it makes a lot of whatever was causing me anxiety seem silly.
  • newmeadow
    I don’t watch the birds as much as they watch me when I’m running by :D

vacyshhb3v0b.jpeg
    Hawk, great blue heron and a photobombing hummingbird.

xmd531i7b1q5.jpeg
    Huge turkey vulture.

9dxomzdcaczj.jpeg
    Cobra chickens!!! :D

I love the chutzpah of the photo bombing hummingbird. And the others are also noteworthy. Kind of out of a Hitchcock movie.
  • newmeadow
    I also went on an Owl Prowl last year and heard baby screech owls hooting. Recently saw a road runner. Love love love birds.

Hah! I thought Road Runners were fictional cartoon characters!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I also went on an Owl Prowl last year and heard baby screech owls hooting. Recently saw a road runner. Love love love birds.

Good morning @newmeadow Love your new topic. These birds are real. Saw my first ones about 5 years ago. They are quite tiny and they'd use the road just as they would on those cartoon shows.
  • newmeadow
    k8eekins wrote: »

Good morning @newmeadow Love your new topic. These birds are real. Saw my first ones about 5 years ago. They are quite tiny and they'd use the road just as they would on those cartoon shows.

This sounds like a Western Coast/Southwest thing. Adorable.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    I live right by some of the original protected lands, and so there are always birds flying about. I don’t birdwatch with binoculars, but my son and I make plenty of bird feeders and hang them about our lawn to watch all the birds come in. He seems to really enjoy it, as do I, mostly. In large flocks they can freak me out little though. I don’t consider it an “old people thing”, I’m sure I do plenty that’s considered old, and mostly I think people should just do what they enjoy.

Fun memories. My Brownie troupe used collect pine cones and then spread peanut butter on them, coat them with seeds and hand them on strings by the window as bird feeders.

I’ll try that! Thanks for the idea :)
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I don’t watch the birds as much as they watch me when I’m running by :D

vacyshhb3v0b.jpeg
    Hawk, great blue heron and a photobombing hummingbird.

xmd531i7b1q5.jpeg
    Huge turkey vulture.

9dxomzdcaczj.jpeg
    Cobra chickens!!! :D

Love this!
  • nooshi713
    Yes. I love to bird watch. I am the Bird Whisperer. An emu walked up to me one day. I live in southern California. I guess he was lost. That was my proudest moment. Here is my emu friend. i2hrszmy6d0a.jpg

Are you familiar with the Cassowary? If there is better evidence that the Dinos are closely related to birds...
    itupuv0hsib7.jpeg

Yes and I completely agree. They are fluffy dinos.
  • nooshi713
    edited April 2019

Here is the one I saw recently. He was smaller than you would expect.

y0tt1y9n5lqx.jpg
  • nooshi713

You're making me want to move to California just to pick up one of these things hitch hiking. This is, like, prehistoric.

It was crazy. They are obviously not native to here but we have a lot of farms where I live. He must have escaped. But what are the odds he walked up to MY car?! I was talking about this emu for days. Everyone was saying: "well you are the bird lady"....

:)
  • nooshi713
    Bird watching during day but switch to Bat watching at night. Yes I know they’re basically flying rodents but they’re adorable.

wmfbt5osh437.jpeg

pj6dwadin9jv.jpeg

dlh9wio2kpp5.jpeg

fdag4wykqo12.gif

Hooolyyy shiiit. Get a load of this guy.

m5xy28tovj3i.jpeg

Hes kind of cute.
  • nooshi713
    Birds are so amazing. I used to always watch them and dream of flying. I also love how usually both parents feed the babies when in the mammal world, males are just sperm donors. Sweet birds. <3