Need some help with macros

Hey everyone! I want to switch things up and start calculating my macros for weight loss. I found an online calculator which put me at 1,544 calories per day
Carbs 105g (27.3%)
Protein 165g (42.7%)
Fat 51g (30%)

My question is how to plan my meals around those to make sure I hit the right macros? I know it will take some time and adjustment but I’m not really sure where to start...

If anyone could give me some meal ideas to base off of like some sample meals that would be awesome and super helpful! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    why so much protein? that seems an excessive amount to me?

0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight
    0/3-0.4g fat per lb of bodyweight, the rest carbs is usually a pretty good starting point?

or 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hey everyone! I want to switch things up and start calculating my macros for weight loss. I found an online calculator which put me at 1,544 calories per day
    Carbs 105g (27.3%)
    Protein 165g (42.7%)
    Fat 51g (30%)

My question is how to plan my meals around those to make sure I hit the right macros? I know it will take some time and adjustment but I’m not really sure where to start...

If anyone could give me some meal ideas to base off of like some sample meals that would be awesome and super helpful! Thanks in advance!

I agree with TT that the protein seems high.

With that said those numbers are what I hit (without trying that much) on a fairly regular basis during my work week. Not exactly but ballpark. There are a lot of vegetables and seafood in my diet.

I'd like to encourage you to "switch things up" in different ways. The problem with shooting for specific macros is that once you figure it out you may find yourself stuck eating the same basic food over and over again to replicate the results.

Macros don't really matter for weight loss. You need an adequate amount of protein and fat in your diet for your nutrition but once you have met your nutritional needs unless a specific macro amount helps you with satiety you can pretty much ignore them.

I like a variety so I like to incorporate theme days or theme weeks into my routine. It could be a theme like a cuisine or style of eating for a week or something simple (and one of my most common) a meatless day. I am not interested in making my diet harder but just a slight challenge to push me to try new things and keep myself from getting too complacent. Sometimes I will pick an ingredient I may not eat as much and try to figure out how many different ways or times I can use it in a week.
  • alexis1616
    alexis1616 Posts: 115 Member
    Your protein macro seems a bit excessive - at the high end of the scale it should be at 30-35%, with 35-40% carbs and 30% fat as the other macros.

If your goal is to retain muscle mass or gain some strength/muscle on your journey, any excess protein won’t be processed (essentially rendering it useless) and will simply be excreted in your faeces.

I’m unsure what other reasons you’re opting to intake such a high amount of protein, but if it’s for satiety, I would suggest eating high fibre carbohydrates like oats, quinoa, whole meal breads and high fibre vegetables instead to better balance out your macros.

For ideas, I’m on slightly higher calories than you(approx 100 more daily), so hopefully this’ll help a little with some meals!

I try to have protein with every meal, including snacks.
    ie:

Breakfast - something with either eggs, Greek yoghurt(specifically the ones with extra protein) or smoked salmon and a high fibre carb like oats or wholemeal cereal

Lunch - a healthy or lean protein such as chicken, turkey, salmon or lean cuts of beef and some vegetables with a high fibre carb(I tend to go to high protein low carb lentil pasta, whole meal bread or sweet potato)

Afternoon Snack - lately I’ve been craving nut butter, so maybe a wholemeal sandwich with nut butter on it, or slices of fruit to dip in it. Maybe a protein bar or shake, some Greek yoghurt or a small can of tuna would work as well(although I personally hate tuna, and try not to drink my calories unless it’s whey isolate with no carbs)

Dinner - much like lunch, just a smaller portion

Good luck!!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I have fairly similar macros, my protein and carbs are a little lower, and my fat is higher. I hover around 1400 cals/day.

My M-F meals are:

B - protein shake, 2 scoops = 220 calories, 4 carbs, 2 fat, 50 g protein
    L - 2 packets of chunk light tuna with 1 tbsp olive oil mayo, crackers of your liking :) - 320 calories, 22 carbs, 10.5 fat, 36 protein
    S - 1/2 cucumber and 1 bell pepper, with 1 cup plain greek yogurt with ranch seasoning - 213 calories, 17.8 carbs, 4.9 fat, 24.2 protein
    D - 3 large brown eggs, 3 pieces of natural smoked applewood bacon, 2 tbsp low sugar/low sodium ketchup - 490 calories, 8 carbs, 36 fat, 33 protein

You might have to add another snack in to meet your calories, but this is my go-to base menu. I find it super simple and easy because I really like all of these foods and they're easy to keep up with and affordable. That has been the key for me - finding foods I really like that fill me up and keep me full. The only thing I change is an additional snack which is usually some kind of fruit.

On the weekends I try to eat more veggies, either steamed or grilled or salads! I love to grill steak on the weekends too. Switching it up on the weekend is nice, but I also really like my planned meals during the week. Its a good balance for me!
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    I used an online calculator and that’s just what it gave me for protein. Like I said it may need some adjustments as I’m just starting out and only got these results from a free online calculator. That’s not my desired protein just what it gave me.

Thank you all for the tips!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I used an online calculator and that’s just what it gave me for protein. Like I said it may need some adjustments as I’m just starting out and only got these results from a free online calculator. That’s not my desired protein just what it gave me.

You could have just stuck with MFPs macros?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

You could have just stuck with MFPs macros?

That was my thought, too.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2019
    Anywhere between 0.8-1g/ kg is recommended. However if your weight lifting then 2g/kg should be the max.

I have an Instagram page where I post a ton of meal ideas along with my post workout meals.
    My IG is [removed by MFP moderator]

I workout fasted I powerlift at 6am then when I’m done with training around 8ish I have a shake immediately then by the time I get home I’ll have my post workout meal an hour after. I make sure I consume most of my carbs post workout and before bed since I train really early in the morning.