What Worked for You?!

I’d love to hear (especially from people who have seen some progress or gotten to a healthy place and stayed there) what worked for you? What specific changes did you make and when? Did you do things gradually or all at once? What kind of support system did you have or did you have none at all? Especially interested in changes/advice that worked that didn’t cost money or involve a program that was finite or required participants to pay money. I’ve done all of those, am not interested in quick fixes or depriving myself, and want real world stories on what people have done. Let me know, I’m ready to get to work! 🙌👍

Replies

• Liampp
    Liampp Posts: 17 Member
    For me 12 hour intermittent fasting has worked. 35lbs since January 1, 2019. Good Luck!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    I will tell you for a small fee payable in 5 easy installments.

Kidding.

The only thing you should probably invest in if you do not have one already is a food scale. It will help you log more accurately.

I do not require external support so I can't help you there. I actually kind of hate being cheered on. It took me a long time to even confess that I was trying to lose weight to people. I had failed so much I sort of expected to fail again.

I think you should change as little as possible and make it as easy on yourself as possible to start. Don't worry about anything except logging accurately and working towards staying within your calorie goal. You do not have to accomplish that day 1 or even your first week.

You may need to experiment with what you eat or how often you eat and if you need advice about what to try come and ask. It is very important that you figure you out and keep your hunger and cravings controlled. If you are hungry before meals that is fine but it is not fine to be miserably hungry for hours. If you leave a craving unchecked for too long it may make you resentful. Those are things that will make sustainability harder if not impossible.

Make your goal getting through each day as happy as possible and try to ignore weight loss. If you are in a calorie deficit the weight will come off but it takes time. I consider watching for weight loss to be about as much fun as trying to watch grass grow. I have seen a lot of threads from people who were driving themselves crazy watching their scales and expecting it to be their chief source of motivation. I have been doing this over a year and that year flew by because I worked at staying happy and tried not to think about weight loss anymore than I needed.

There are loads of helpful threads at the top of the forums to help educate yourself. Here is one to start:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I cook and prep lunches to take to work on Sundays and put labels on the Tupperware in the fridge with weight (grams etc) of the protein, veggie, whatever.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited April 2019
    First ten pounds I just ate in moderation and did cardio.
    Now I’m doing that and low carbs since I don’t enjoy micromanaging every little thing I put in my body with counting calories, using a food scale ect- I like bare minimum no stress when it comes to weight loss. No support, no money spent besides food, and an elliptical. so far I’ve lost 15lbs.
  • lindsayann135
    lindsayann135 Posts: 11 Member
    I’m looking to get healthier, lose and maintain weight loss, get more fit etc just like everyone here. Asking for specific advice and tips from real people👍
    What worked to accomplish what exactly? Everyone has different goals. Different things work for different people. Are you looking to improve your health? Lose weight? Maintain weight? None of those things require money spent or deprivation. Like with most of us, you will only find out what "works" for you through trial and error. It's up to you to determine what habits are healthy and sustainable for you.

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    MFP
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited April 2019
    1) Ate less and exercised more so that CO > or = CI everyday.

2) Kept track of CI and CO everyday.

3) And, weighed myself daily.

Recorded 2&3 everyday on MFP and Excel. Still do 1-3 daily.

Have lost and kept 40 lbs off doing this over the past 3 yrs; 196 down to 156.

Lost most of the wt in the 1st 6 months and have maintained the loss for the past 2.5 yrs.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I’m looking to get healthier, lose and maintain weight loss, get more fit etc just like everyone here. Asking for specific advice and tips from real people👍
    What worked to accomplish what exactly? Everyone has different goals. Different things work for different people. Are you looking to improve your health? Lose weight? Maintain weight? None of those things require money spent or deprivation. Like with most of us, you will only find out what "works" for you through trial and error. It's up to you to determine what habits are healthy and sustainable for you.

I ate fewer calories than I burned to lose weight.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2019
    I’d love to hear (especially from people who have seen some progress or gotten to a healthy place and stayed there) what worked for you? What specific changes did you make and when? Did you do things gradually or all at once? What kind of support system did you have or did you have none at all? Especially interested in changes/advice that worked that didn’t cost money or involve a program that was finite or required participants to pay money. I’ve done all of those, am not interested in quick fixes or depriving myself, and want real world stories on what people have done. Let me know, I’m ready to get to work! 🙌👍

I am 9 months in, have lost 50+ pounds and starting my third month in maintenance.

The main changes:
    • I decided at the beginning I would only adopt strategies that I felt that I could maintain forever. So ... I counted calories and focused on eating healthy foods. I tried to eliminate processed foods and to limit added sugar. Otherwise, no real restrictions.
    • I eat a fairly balanced diet and, through experimentation, found that protein is key for me to avoid energy lags and cravings. While I don't really track macros, my daily intake tends to be 100-149 g protein, 150-200 g carbs, and 60-65 g fats.
    • Improving fitness was a major goal for me. Again, I focused on doing things that I felt I could continue doing forever. I started with my main passion (riding) and added new elements gradually. I also try to do a variety of different activities so I incorporate strength training, aerobic exercise, and flexibility/range of motion.
    • I pretrack (meal plan and exercise) every day. This takes about 5 minutes every morning while I drink my morning coffee. It helps me stay focused. It also allows me to easily stay on plan and avoids the "what shall I fix for dinner" question at the end of the day when I am really hungry (and typically leads to very bad choices).

I found participating in a couple of process-oriented challenges on MFP helpful during the last part of my active weight loss phase. Other than that, I did not have a lot of support. I did however, take the time before I started to really clarify what I wanted to accomplish and why. Keeping those goals and reasons front and center has also been really helpful. I am finding that my transition into maintenance has been fairly easy since I am not really doing anything much different than I was doing all along.

Hope this helps.