Those who maintain without exercising...

I'm looking ahead to when I reach my goal weight and estimating that my maintenance caloric goal will be around 1,870. I wonder if I can feasibly eat at this level for the rest of eternity. Before starting my weight loss journey, I was eating around 2,200 calories a day. My plan is to add daily cardio exercise to burn off the difference so I can go back to eating at pre-weight loss levels since I wasn't necessarily eating badly, I was just eating calorie dense foods while working a desk job and driving (instead of walking/taking public transport).

This got me thinking: Do people who have maintained their weight loss without adding any form of exercise exist? If you are one, has it been hard for you to eat at maintenance?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Mrs Jruzer doesn't do any intentional exercise. She does work at a fairly active job, which maybe earns her a few hundred more kcal per day.

She's just very careful about portions, and keeps a close eye on her weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm looking ahead to when I reach my goal weight and estimating that my maintenance caloric goal will be around 1,870. I wonder if I can feasibly eat at this level for the rest of eternity. Before starting my weight loss journey, I was eating around 2,200 calories a day. My plan is to add daily cardio exercise to burn off the difference so I can go back to eating at pre-weight loss levels since I wasn't necessarily eating badly, I was just eating calorie dense foods while working a desk job and driving (instead of walking/taking public transport).

This got me thinking: Do people who have maintained their weight loss without adding any form of exercise exist? If you are one, has it been hard for you to eat at maintenance?

I'm sure they exist, but everyone I know personally who maintains a healthy weight is fairly active. It may not be going to workout, but they are active in one way or another. I personally hit the weight room 2-3x per week for a 30-40 minute lifting session and that's all I consider something I do to be an actual "workout".

I enjoy cycling and ride my bike quite a bit, but it's as much recreational activity and hobby for me as it is exercise...it's just something I really enjoy. I also like to get up into the mountains to hike and enjoy some rock climbing here and there and we just built a pool, so I'll be splashing around a lot this summer with the kids, and I walk my dog most days.

Most of my "exercise" is what I would consider to be recreational...I don't really "workout" all that often, but I'm pretty active.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I won’t rely on cardio for maintenance but I like the idea of running a few times a week for heart health. I sit a lot at work though so I will be surprised if I can eat over 1700
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    I do next to zero cardio and maintain my weight just fine. I do lift weights regularly but the observed effect on my TDEE is fairly minor. If I had/have to stop lifting for an injury, trip, etc. it doesn't keep me from maintaining. Logging diligently is the key IMO, if your target is accurate, you just need to make sure you're not in a consistent surplus and maintaining shouldn't be a problem, regardless of activity level.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I walk a fair amount (live in a European city and don't drive) but otherwise don't do much cardio. The rest of my exercise is weights or yoga 3-4 times a week usually. I maintain on about 2,200, but I'm also pretty tall (just under 6 ft)
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    I eat more when I exercise or work hard. I had to learn to adjust my calories when I wasn't burning them or else gain quickly.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    That person is me* I've lost weight and maintained it with no exercise. I lost 8 pounds doing just about nothing. I did no intentional exercise. I walk 90% of the time. To where I need to go. I walk miles to get where I need to. Also just clean around my house, that's about it. I wasn't literally sitting on my butt all day.
  • Orangecandlesky
    Orangecandlesky Posts: 17 Member
    I use various strategies that I learned while I was losing the weight that I keep to maintain it. Exercise actually stresses me out more so I opt for more relaxing exercise like light walking or stretching but that's about it. Cardio exhausts me and leaves me not feeling good ever. I prefer to go for a hike once or twice a month though lol.

Otherwise what I learned during my weight loss, are the strategies I keep in order to keep my intake down. I portion out my three main meals during the day so that I have enough to have a nice desert or snack at night, since my main problem was snacking all day long, so I save it for the evening, but of course still portioned out.

Since snacking was an issue for me all day like I used to. I used to do it emotionally or out of boredom. And in oder to stick to my three main meals and nothing else during the main part of the day I kinda imagine myself doing 2 mini fasts between my meals. waiting 4-5 hrs between my main meals, but as long as I only snack on really low calorie foods and liquids to me it still counts to keep that calories down. I'll drink water, coffee, Powerade Zero, and seltzer water, diet soda, prob not the best but you gotta enjoy your life sometimes, and then I can snack on low to no-calorie foods like cucumber, pickles, bell peppers, and even popcorn chips, between my meals or even at night if I'm feeling way too tempted. It still helps if I feel like I'm gonna go nuts.

Most days I'll have short Intermittent fasting period at night too but nothing too crazy just 10-13 hours most nights just to prevent myself from my old evening snacking issues that I used to have. But yeah I created a routine that fits my calories that works for me. And trust me this took years to finally figure out what the best way was for me. I spend many years before this trying various things to lose and re gaining the same amount of weight. Just gotta find what works for you and what feels good. I wish you Good Luck!
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    I've been maintaining for 4 months and haven't done much exercise besides walking (about 8,000 steps a day) and cleaning house. I wouldn't call it ideal - I needed to start strength training years ago but I'm having trouble sticking with it - but it can be done.