When others sabotage your efforts

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Asking if I want some is not forcing food on me. Continuing to ask after I have already said no is a problem, one that we have been working on. My husband is a loving man.

Yes, I have boundary issues. Growing up in an abusive, alcoholic family will do that to a person. I could set boundaries all I wanted to, and they'd be bulldozed right over.

Sure, it can be healthy and self-affirming to cut ties with toxic family members. I've done it myself.

It may be pointless to speculate why they behave like that other than to just realize that they are behaving badly because they are not in a healthy place. (And it is not your place to fix them.)

I'm curious as to why this is coming up for you now? Are they pressuring you to come home for April holidays?

My Kindle just offered me this and I've read the sample. Although it does not apply to any current relationships, it does apply to past relationships: Dodging Energy Vampires: An Empath's Guide to Evading Relationships That Drain You and Restoring Your Health and Power

Dr Northrup can be a bit out there in some aspects, but I found her very helpful when dealing with other issues in the past, and just take what I like and leave the rest.

Have you gone to Al Anon?
  • wjeter40
    wjeter40 Posts: 1 Member
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    It's not intentional sabotage, but co-workers often walk around with a box of Krispy Kreme's or something else I rarely eat. "Oh come on, just one won't hurt you" or "We're down to the last one--you should just take it." Often, these responses are after I've already said "no thanks." The last time, I gave in to their pressure, and as soon as they'd cleared the space from my doorway, the doughnut hit the trash can (after I searched the calorie count and made a conscious decision that it wasn't worth it).

I've done that too. I just cut right to, "sure that looks good, but I'm going to save it for later because I'm so full right now, I can't eat another bite." Then I'll take it and either eat it later or give it to someone else that wants it. They feel like they did a good deed by feeding me a treat and I stuck to my plan!
  • Jelly8035
    Jelly8035 Posts: 12 Member
    Sounds like you need to move far far away. Worked for me, never looked back. I have a great relationship now, on the phone, 8 states away lol. Far enough that they won't spend the $to sabotage in person. Be your own person. If you move or not. Be healthy for you, not them.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    This woman hounds me to eat the ice cream even though I said no thank you. She lost 100 lbs. Really don't know why she would push food on anyone. The other day I turned down cookies. Immediately a man said "You're on a diet!" I said no, I don't like coconut. I think people do like to see others bigger than themselves or like you said, to have you be the weaker one. Many times I do succumb to the food. Why? Sure, I want to eat it. Even though I said I wouldn't because of my plan or health. Deep down, I am still compulsive with the food. I have to remain strong and determined to my own decisions and not let anyone deter me from it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Jelly8035 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to move far far away. Worked for me, never looked back. I have a great relationship now, on the phone, 8 states away lol. Far enough that they won't spend the $to sabotage in person. Be your own person. If you move or not. Be healthy for you, not them.

She did move :)

Her grown daughter still has contact with them and that was triggering her.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    My friends who know I'm dieting are supportive because I've told them that I'm facing some health issues (which is true). To all others who inquire, I say "I"m cutting back on sweets, so no thanks but it looks delicious." Again, most have been supportive.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    I haven't had anyone try to sabotage me and your examples do sound really extreme.

The silly type comments you mentioned though - birthday cakes don't have calories, but it's Sunday,etc - sure, people make them and I've probably made them myself too.

But always been in light hearted way, everyone knows is not meant literally and then accepted No anyway.