What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Allgaun wrote: »
    I've always had muscular legs. Firm. Now that I've lost 22 lbs I notice my thighs are dimpled, cellulite...seriously dimpled. I don't know if it's my age (65) but I hope it goes away.

Read the “Firm fat vs jiggly fat” thread over on the General Diet & Fitness board. It talks about this exact thing.

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I've been reading this whole thread for many months, but never thought I would post. Not because I wouldn't lose the weight (I've lost 30 lbs) but because I was only slightly overweight so I didn't think there would be anything noticeable.

Yet I've noticed my wedding and engagement ring are loose on my ring finger. It's very annoying when I'm typing, which is 40 hours a week, and I get nervous now about wearing them in the shower. Also my shoes are a bit loose, which is mostly only a problem with ballet flats as those can slip off suddenly while walking. And it's much easier to correct my posture by aligning my pelvis properly (I have an anterior pelvis tilt) now that there is less weight on my lower belly.

I had expected to lose more evenly on my body than I did. But I've mostly lost in my hips and lower belly, which I understand is what a lot of other women want, but for me - having narrow hips - I still am nowhere near a flat belly despite being 21.9 BMI. And I've lost very little on my upper arms, chest, and shoulders. I can feel my clavicle now...even see it a tiny bit...but well, I guess I got to keep trucking with the weight loss to get those last unwanted pounds off.

Also, I learned that being in a deficit and lifting heavy weights - FOR ME - was completely not going to work. I never worked out when younger, so I have tons of muscle to build. And when I lift weights, I get so very hungry to the point that I end up sabotaging my calorie deficit. So I'll keep up with cardio and light bodyweight exercises until I get to goal, then increase to maintenance calories and lift.

I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring for about 8 months. I sometimes wear it when I get dressed up, I just wear a smaller silicone ring on top of it to hold it on. But it swivels, so I don't do that always. The majority of the time I wear a silicone ring. It's safer in the gym than a metal ring and it allows me to keep wearing *a* wedding ring until I am at a place where I am comfortable resizing my rings.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    I've been reading this whole thread for many months, but never thought I would post. Not because I wouldn't lose the weight (I've lost 30 lbs) but because I was only slightly overweight so I didn't think there would be anything noticeable.

Hi, Tanya, I’m in the Less to Lose brigade too and have only today made my first posts, with before and after pics that show a smaller loss (28lb in my case) is definitely noticeable:

jmz91j1bxnz0.jpeg

I think this also goes to show how "easy" it is to gain weight without realizing it, because the close still fit. After my 33 lb weight loss, this is apparent to me as well. While yes, I have tossed many clothing items too big, there are plenty that still stretch quite nicely....no wonder I didn't really notice that weight gain till I saw it on the scale.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member

Yet I've noticed my wedding and engagement ring are loose on my ring finger. It's very annoying when I'm typing, which is 40 hours a week, and I get nervous now about wearing them in the shower. Also my shoes are a bit loose, which is mostly only a problem with ballet flats as those can slip off suddenly while walking. And it's much easier to correct my posture by aligning my pelvis properly (I have an anterior pelvis tilt) now that there is less weight on my lower belly.

I had expected to lose more evenly on my body than I did. But I've mostly lost in my hips and lower belly, which I understand is what a lot of other women want, but for me - having narrow hips - I still am nowhere near a flat belly despite being 21.9 BMI. And I've lost very little on my upper arms, chest, and shoulders. I can feel my clavicle now...even see it a tiny bit...but well, I guess I got to keep trucking with the weight loss to get those last unwanted pounds off.

Also, I learned that being in a deficit and lifting heavy weights - FOR ME - was completely not going to work. I never worked out when younger, so I have tons of muscle to build. And when I lift weights, I get so very hungry to the point that I end up sabotaging my calorie deficit. So I'll keep up with cardio and light bodyweight exercises until I get to goal, then increase to maintenance calories and lift.

I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring for about 8 months. I sometimes wear it when I get dressed up, I just wear a smaller silicone ring on top of it to hold it on. But it swivels, so I don't do that always. The majority of the time I wear a silicone ring. It's safer in the gym than a metal ring and it allows me to keep wearing *a* wedding ring until I am at a place where I am comfortable resizing my rings.

Rings are pretty cheap to get resized, maybe 30-$50 depending on where you live.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    crb426 wrote: »
    And TMI, but when you get close to goal weight you can literally *see* in your lower abdomen that it's only a matter of time before a poop is coming because it bloats up. No? Just me?

I can't tell on myself, but a friend of mine can tell on herself. She showed me the little food pooch. It's amazing. lol

• smantha32
    whmscll wrote: »
    Allgaun wrote: »
    I've always had muscular legs. Firm. Now that I've lost 22 lbs I notice my thighs are dimpled, cellulite...seriously dimpled. I don't know if it's my age (65) but I hope it goes away.

Read the “Firm fat vs jiggly fat” thread over on the General Diet & Fitness board. It talks about this exact thing.

I hope this makes me feel better too. lol
  • smantha32
    lalabank wrote: »
    That not everyone will be happy for you. I can relate because I had to push down feelings of jealousy when I was larger and watched friends lose weight.
    I try to be very aware that when others seem dis-interested or unsupportive sometimes it’s because of their own negative voices.

I've been through this too. I tried to at least "seem" happy for other people even though I was jealous though. lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!