The Over 300 Club

I want to invite any MFP'ers that are over 300 to post so we can all support each other. I know there are several of us on here that are over 300 or were recently. All are welcome! I thought since we have similar calorie requirements and challenges it would be nice to have a thread to post in. :flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
118984.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

My favorite post for answers:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Replies

• AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    I want to invite any MFP'ers that are over 300 to post so we can all support each other. I know there are several of us on here that are over 300 or were recently. All are welcome! I thought since we have similar calorie requirements and challenges it would be nice to have a thread to post in. :flowerforyou:

118984.png

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm in. I really appreciate all the support of EVERYONE at MFP, but it will be nice to be able to gather with the over 300 club for support and assistance on the unique set of challenges we face. Thanks for thinking of it!
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    What a wonderful idea. I am in!! I weigh over 300 and would love to know what other people with my weight issues are doing. I am having a hard time losing anything. So discouraging. Thank you for thinking of it Amy.

Teri
  • Hi count me in.. I have never weighed this much in my life.. I feel embarrassed and feel hopeless at loosing..I have lost ten pounds and I know its a start, but to think there is soooooooooo much more to go is overwhelming to me.
    Pam
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    well ladies I have had a terrible day so far! I got on the scale and have gained 10lbs since I started! They changed my insulin and I was told that the new insulin would cause weight gain. And I finally took my measurments and the tape measure would not go around my tummy. So I had to add a ruler. I am over 5 feet around!! I just feel hopeless. How am I supposed to lose weight if the medicine I take makes me gain?????

http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/12/408/120408.png[/img][/url]
  • AmyNVegas
    I'm in. I really appreciate all the support of EVERYONE at MFP, but it will be nice to be able to gather with the over 300 club for support and assistance on the unique set of challenges we face. Thanks for thinking of it!

Glad you joined! :flowerforyou:

118984.png

• AmyNVegas
    Hi count me in.. I have never weighed this much in my life.. I feel embarrassed and feel hopeless at loosing..I have lost ten pounds and I know its a start, but to think there is soooooooooo much more to go is overwhelming to me.
    Pam

Well stop that way of thinking right now if there is anything I have learned in over 30 years of dieting it is that you have to love yourself at any size or weight! You are a person worthy of love from others and yourself and worthy of respect. <<HUGS>> Thanks for joining me!:flowerforyou: :heart:

118984.png

• AmyNVegas
    well ladies I have had a terrible day so far! I got on the scale and have gained 10lbs since I started! They changed my insulin and I was told that the new insulin would cause weight gain. And I finally took my measurments and the tape measure would not go around my tummy. So I had to add a ruler. I am over 5 feet around!! I just feel hopeless. How am I supposed to lose weight if the medicine I take makes me gain?????

http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/12/408/120408.png[/img][/url]

I know that must be really tough!:flowerforyou: My mom was diabetic and had a really hard time with her weight too. I am hypoglycemic and really am trying to control it through diet and so far I am 3 months with no episode of low sugar. I can make some suggestions for anyone who has an insulin problem whether it be resistance or over production. I hope you can use them, of course you may be already doing all this. :smile: Try to do away with all refined carbs all together okay so 90% of the time. :wink: That means bread as whole as you can get it like Ezechiel bread which is a sprouted grain bread. Sweet potatoes are great roasted and much lower glycemic than white, old fashioned rolled oats no instant ever it turnes straight to sugar, if you have it in your area a great pasta is SmartTaste which tastes like white and has a lot more fiber than wheat pastas. I have switched to xylitol in my tea and coffee and that has done me a world of good. Not only does it metabolize independently of insulin it also helps repair insulin resistance. It's a little pricey, but it is worth every penny to feel better. I use about 5 lbs every 2 months which comes out to about $10.00 a month so not bad at all. If you get it at EmeraldForest.com, the shipping is free and they have gums, mints, jams and other stuff there too that are good. I eat 6 times a day- 5 meals and 1 snack at 8pm. I spread my calories pretty evenly and have protein-carb-and fat at every meal. I eat at least 35 grams of fiber per day which usually I get a lot more since all my carbs are whole grain and added fiber. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? I love that store they have lots of great natural and high fiber products that won't clean out your bank account. I hope I have said something you can use I hate that you have to go through this but remember not one of us is alone! We are here for each other!:flowerforyou: :heart:

118984.png

• stillkristi

Wow, I am so sorry for the terrible day, but I like that you said "so far" so, lets figure out how to turn it around!:wink: Amy had some really good ideas about changes in diet that might be helpful. I LOVE baked sweet potatos (in fact, I had one today for lunch!) and they are really good for us. I don;t know what kind of eating plan you are following, but you might want to talk to a nutritionist that specializes in diabetes. Having said that, you may also want to check out the Protein Power Plan by Drs Michael and Mary Dan Eads. Now, brace yourself, it is a low carb plan. I know, horror, :noway: avoid the evil Atkins diet. So, this isn't much like Atkins. You get to eat a lot of vegies, some fruit and plenty of good, lean protein. They provide a ton of good scientific information if you are interested.

I think I would also go back to the doc and have a heart to heart about how the weight gain is not an acceptable option. Will s/he work with you more closely? If not, what are your other options? If you are happy with your doc, great, but if not, there are a lot of docs out there. Its not hopeless! You've got options!!!!!
  • stillkristi
    I seem to have gotten my message inside the quote from teridene. Not sure how I did that. :blushing:
    I'm new!
  • AmyNVegas
    LOL since I added my signature in my settings I have double tickers now LOL!:laugh: Guess I really want all to know I lost 20 pounds :laugh: Hope all of you are doing well and want to wish you a successful week!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • stillkristi
    Hi everyone good to check in with you! Today was my first weigh in after a week on the new eating plan. I am SO EXCITED :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :love: :love: I was hoping to lose about 5 lbs. I know thats a lot in a week, but since I need to lose in excess of 250, its pretty easy to lose that first 5 or 10 lbs. I knew I had lost weight, because I have been feeling so much better, and I can see it in my clothing. Ok, anyway, after a week....... (drumroll please:happy: ) I've lost 11 lbs. Wahoo!

So, here are my numbers, which I have been pretty insecure about posting. And, I am going to finally post my ticker. I know there are tough days ahead, because like most of us, I've lost that first 20 or 30 lbs many times. But, today is still a great day. :bigsmile:

SW: 461 (02/17/09)
    CW: 450 (02/23/09)
    GW: 195

153005.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • BIGGRAMMA
    BIGGRAMMA Posts: 2,273
    I am not nor have I been 300+ However my son who will be 50 years old was....Key word here is was.....Last year on his 49th birthday the end of March he weighed 383.....He ,this weekend, weighed 272 so he has lost over 100 pounds....

He did it by giving up fast food (he loved it and ate it everyday) does not eat it at all....He now practices portion control...keeps his calories at about 1800-2000 a day....He eats a high fiber diet....high protein...not meat but food from the Seventh Day Adventist store...He is not an Adventist...just likes the food.....He does eat a serving of dark dark chocolate every day....He gave up his diet Cokes...now drinks alot of water..He does not get much exercise since he is a truck driver...so he is on his butt most of the day....

So I just wanted to share this since I am one proud mama.

I want to wish you all well on your journey to good health....
  • AmyNVegas
    Wow Kristi that is FANTABULOUS!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :bigsmile:
    Way to go I know you can do this!:drinker:

BigGramma wish for me it were as easy as giving up soda or fast food but since I already do everything your son switched to plus I exercise at least 5 days a week, guess he can't give me many tips. I have never been one for fast food thank goodness and was never a soda drinker just unsweetened iced tea. Thanks for stopping by and giving your encouragement and tell your son we said keep up the good work!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    I was dang close when I started, and on my doctors scale I was over 300... but now I'm down a bit, hit a plateau of about 30 pounds and hit that for 3 years, now I'm losing again (finally!) because I know why I failed!

For the insulin thing - I just learned about cinnamin tablets - helps you with insulin resistance. I haven't started it yet but I have learned about it from several sources, including a pharmacy tech and a Type 1 diabetic adult who's also on a pump (and he is thin!), so I am going to try it.

Seems really stupid to me the new medication would make you gain weight, sheesh.

Are you type 1 or type 2? If type 2 (which I am/was a month ago, now I'm in "normal" range!) then I have some suggestions for what screwed ME up that was different from what the books said. For example, I can eat a whole damn chocolate pie and have normal blood sugar in the morning, but one small baked potatoe at the same time another night and my blood sugar would be thru the roof the next morning - even though I was following the carb guidelines the nutritionist said! (And no, I don't eat entire pies anymore... )

To everyone in this group: WAY TO GO TO BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! The larger we are, the harder it is to start and the more embarrassing it is to be honest.

I will tell ya'll that I've only been doing this for 5 weeks. And yes, I've lost a decent amount of weight and I'm happy about that, but I've lost my "butt shelf" simply from walking the treadmill every day for 30 mins - then up to 45 - then increasing the speed - etc. I started out with the speed of 2.0 and could barely breathe when I started... now I'm at 3.2 and my heart rate is just barely high enough to burn fat... in just 5 weeks. So you can do it! Start small, make goals you can achieve, make mini goals, if you fall off the wagon, just get up and get back on!

As stillkristi said in another forum, if she had a cheat day she'd have a cheat year... it goes the same with falling off the wagon... just because you fell off for one meal doesn't mean you have to stay off the wagon for the whole day... just dont' beat yourself up! We're all human!
  • AmyNVegas
    adopt 4 that is some great advice!:drinker: I heard about the cinnamon thing from a magazine article it suggested putting cinnamon in everything to help regulate sugar and insulin levels to keep the body from storing carbs as fat. I will have to give it a try.

I did the same thing with exercise only I can't do the tread mill:frown: so I use a recumbent bike instead. I started at 10 minutes then 15 then all of a sudden one day I could do 30 and I have just gotten there so I will work on more as I build up my knees and hips. I have now added strength 3 days a week at the gym. I found a great personal trainer(I get one visit a month with my membership at the gym) she is great and has lost 90 pounds and kept it off after being heavy all her life and decided to become a trainer. She is so motivating it is great. My gym has a women only section that is great so I don't have to work out with the big huge buff guys I only have to worry about the skinny women which I can handle!:laugh:
  • stillkristi
    Adopt4 and Amy, you've got some great ideas. I was talking to my sister, (I may have mentioned her, the personal trainer? We were talking about how best to tackle the exercise thing, and she kind of surprised me, she is a big time cardio gal, so I figured she would be all about getting out there and walking, which :grumble: KILLS:grumble: my knees. Or, swimming, which involves :noway: SWIMWEAR!!! :noway: Instead, she suggested I start working on strength training, to build more lean muscle. Lean muscle tends to burn more calories, so it helps perk up the old metabolism. Also, she said the 3 meals and a couple snacks, or 5 small meals is another good way to kick start your metabolism.
  • AmyNVegas
    That's one smart sis you have there!:bigsmile: Definitely get your knees and ankles stronger before you start walking and the recumbent bike is much better for us curvy ladies than the treadmill or walking outside. That just kills my knees and I can't exercise for days after. I can do a short 15-20 min then it really starts jarring my knees. I love the bike because it strengthens my knees and hips without the pressure and jarring and with the program setting mine has it really gets my heart going too. I got mine at Kmart for about $125 it has 4 or 5 settings that take you through routines of different mountain heights up and down so you get the effect of interval training where you bring your heartrate way up then rest a little then back up then down etc. The pool is very hard on the knees believe it or not. And the lower back. It pulls on my lovely extra tissue and swings it the opposite way I am trying to go which is so hard on my joints and lower back in a water aerobics class. Water walking is good though.
  • stillkristi
    So, I've used a recumbent bike in the past, when I was actually somewhat lighter than I am now. I felt like my belly got in the way. It just felt awkward. Maybe I just need to give it more time. How long have you been using the bike? Also, I find I get bored, and have a hard time sticking with it for very long. How long is your workout?
  • AmyNVegas
    I bought one last Feb. with my tax refund money. I had been using it some at the gym and loved it. I am lucky with the belly though because I had some removed after gastric bypass because it was hanging to my knees after I lost from 535 to 360. I have some belly still but not like then, because I have gained some back. I am losing it again for the umpteenth time. My sis still has the belly hanging though and she uses it fine. I sit with my upper back against the seat and lower back(butt) tilted away and that helps the belly thing some. It still flops back and forth when I ride but just more incentive to get it gone!:blushing: I would give it another try it is so much better on the knees than the standing machines and exercises. It is kind of boring but I keep mine in front of the TV and watch my fav programs or the news while I peddle and the 30 min is up before I know it. I need a remote and water bottle holder for mine!:laugh: I thought about a cup holder like we used to hang on the side of the car from the window frame do they still sell those I wonder? Have to check Wal-mart. Cuz I hate to watch commercials.:wink: