5k training to break 25 minutes

13»

Replies

• twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Tempo run this morning. 5 minute warmup at 12 min pace, then 7:48 pace for 15 minutes. My heart rate was holding steady at 155. I increased the pace to 7:42 and my heart rate climbed to 161. I ran at this pace for 3 minutes then I increased the pace to 7:30. My heart rate maxed at 173 at the 25 minute mark. I then cooled down for 6 minutes at 12 min pace. This was on a treadmill with 1% incline on an empty stomach. Felt great and I could have pushed harder. My race will have more hills but I will also be fully fueled so I think I just might break 25.

You've basically already achieved it? If you can maintain 7:48 for 15 minutes and then still increase the pace beyond that I really don't think you'll have a problem with a 7:45 min/mile 5K?

That said, if you've only run this pace on a treadmill thus far take it outside immediately. Wind, weather, stress, and (especially) hills will make a massive difference to your time.

Remember that 1 mile up hill and 1 mile downhill will not feel the same as two miles flat.

I somewhat agree, but then I read this article:
    https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a26859968/treadmill-versus-overground-running-study/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rnw&utm_medium=email&date=032319&src=nl&utm_campaign=16359217

I also have to consider I ran at a constant 1% incline and on an empty stomach. It is also 68 degrees where my treadmill sits, Hopefully April 6th will not be that warm.

It is warming here finally, so this weekend will be outside, but no intervals. I will just have to wait and see what I can do outside fully fueled. Less than two weeks now.
  • twatson4936
    Intervals today, treadmill 1% incline. 10x1 min, first one at 6:00 min pace the other 9 at 6:40 pace with 1 min recovery at 12:00 min pace. 3 more workouts until taper week
  • twatson4936
    One week until race day. I start tapering on Monday.
  • twatson4936
    Started taper week by resting yesterday. Today I did 10x30 second intervals at 6:40 pace with the last two at 6:00 pace. 0ne minute recovery between intervals at 12:00 pace. 4 days until race day
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    ^^ im super excited to hear how the race goes
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Congrats on your new PB, that's awesome!
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Dude you destroyed it!

Ive definitely entered into the incremental phase of improvements, so it gives me more respect for the push you did to get there.
  • twatson4936
    Thanks MikePfirman and Silent_Soliloquy and everyone else that gave me feedback on my journy. I've started training for the May 19th race. I'm adding a hill workout this time and an additional week of reduced running in the middle of the 6 week plan. I've dialed up the intensity so I really feel like quitting towards the end on several of my weekly runs. Today I did 8 x 90 second 5% hills at 8:40 pace and 3 minutes of recovery, heart rate back down into the 120s before starting the next hill. It was all I could do to complete the last hill. My slow runs I am ensuring to keep my HR in zone 2. I only need to drop 15 seconds to get below 24 minutes. I'm also incorporating Running Worlds Run360 workout into my training in hopes of staying injury free.