Active in April

Carla_wfpb
Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,331 Member
Hey all, turns out meat is actually super healthy for you and I cannot find enough protein from plants *sad face*. Going back to SAD.

Happy April Fools everyone :)

Not batching today. We have a yummy bean chili for the start of the week and I'm going to make a cashew based ranch dressing and chomp through more salad this week!

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,891 Member
    LOL Carla... good April Fool's joke. Happy salad chomping.

Another busy day and I need to get up to my desk and get some more work done before I turn in. I think I'm going to have to get over my aversion to morning workouts because I never know how long I'm going to be in the office and I am tired and hungry when I get home late. I'll give it a try in the morning.

Today was good...
    B - oats with the usual additions
    L - lara bar and an apple
    D - big ol' salad (red and green leaf, beet, carrot, radish, celery, tomato, sunflower seeds, chickpeas, braggs & spicy brown mustard, some spices)

This may be my menu for the whole week. Not going to have much time to think about any other cooking.

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    Hehehe! @Carla_wfpb , too funny!

@Mihani , I need to do more in the mornings, too. I am not doing a morning workout today, though, as I am already behind on the day. I think what I will do is a morning meditation session, then get back to it.

Yesterday was good:
    B - spinach/blueberry/cauli/flax smoothie
    L - pinto beans and steamed spinach, pickled raw onions (so addicted to those - thank you!), juice (beet. carrot, cabbage, ginger, lemon)
    S - walnuts and apple slices
    D - huge salad with almond butter/cashew milk/nooch dressing
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,753 Member
    aprilboard.gif Morning all...my weekend...enjoying a cuppa right now. I ordered ETL paperback and it just arrived the ... I did order two cookbooks, kindle edition. So, I am slowly getting into this.

Today

black coffee
    1/2 c dry GF oatmeal ...1T flaxseed, banana, berries, soy milk
    cuties
    HUGE Massaged Kale salad with red onion, avocado, red bell pepper strips, 1 oz sunflower seeds, 2T raisins, Nutritional yeast, juice of one whole lemon
    Veggie soup with rice ramen
    Banana choc ice cream

• magic71755
    edited April 2019
    Yesterday, Cheri, from The Watering Mouth, interviewed a very devoted ETL follower. In fact she is featured in the book...Emily, page 208. The more I watch some of these YouTubes about ETL...the more excited and ONBOARD I am. The slowest changeover for me will be giving up snacks. HOWEVER, do you all do it?

Anyway, here is the interview. Emily actually has a book coming out April 16 (just an FYI) Have a great April 2nd everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQnbZtsowk&t=153s
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    HI all,

Magic thanks for sharing the videos. I will have a chance to watch them tonight, since my husband is out of town.

Just made this recipe for the first time. Haven't had a quesadilla in a long time but now will add to my rotation. Instead of cheese I used tahinni dressing that I had on hand instead. Also, could you make a nut cheese.
    Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas

Serves: 4

Category: Burgers, Pizza, Wraps and Chips
    Author: www.DrFuhrman.com
    Tags: Kid-Friendly

Average Rating:
    Rated by: 44 members

Rate it:
    (Give a recipe one to five stars. Click the appropriate star to submit your rating)

Looking for something healthful to serve to friends and family? These quesadillas are a real crowd pleaser and they’re also easy to make!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 sweet potato, shredded ( i just pulsed in food processor)
    2 carrots, shredded
    1 small onion, diced
    1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 (15 ounce) cans, no-salt-added or low sodium, drained
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 bunch kale or other greens, tough stems removed, chopped
    8 (100% whole grain) large flour tortillas
    1/4 cup shredded non-dairy cheese (omit or use fuhrman approved cheese substitute)
    1 cup low sodium salsa
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat 2 tablespoons water in a skillet and water saute the sweet potato, carrots and onion together for 5 minutes. Add the black beans and the spices, cover and simmer over low heat for another 5 minutes, then add in the kale and simmer another 10 minutes or until greens are wilted and tender.

Divide the veggie mixture evenly onto four tortillas. Sprinkle with grated non-dairy cheese and top with the remaining four tortillas.

Place on a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cut each quesadilla into 6 wedges and serve with salsa.

Calories 330; Protein 15 g; Carbohydrates 55 g; Sugars 6 g; Total Fat 6.6 g; Saturated Fat 1.2 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 302 mg; Fiber 12.8 g; Beta-Carotene 4876 ug; Vitamin C 21 mg; Calcium 176 mg; Iron 4.6 mg; Folate 83 ug; Magnesium 54 mg; Potassium 504 mg; Zinc 1 mg; Selenium 3 ug
  • Mihani
    That recipe sounds good Terri. I haven't yet found a a compliant "cheese" sauce that I love, but I keep experimenting. Which reminds me, I still haven't found a low sodium salsa that I really like either. Any recommendations?

Magic, what cookbooks did you get?

Austin, those onions, I know! Now if I don't have any I feel like my salad is really lacking.

Good ETL day...
    B/L - oats with the usual additions
    S - lara bar
    D - big ol' salad, sprouted grain sammich of sliced cucumber and radish with spicy mustard, a handful of raisins and a few walnuts
  • Mihani
    Doing well with ETL this week despite a lot of stress at work. I haven't been 6 week plan strict but I have avoided the pretzels and crackers that often tempt me when I'm tired and stressed at the office. The few times I decided I really wanted a snack I had a brown rice cake with a little sunflower seed butter and/or fruit. Other than that lots of GBOMBS.
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited April 2019
    Great work, @Mihani !

This cheese sauce is on my list of recipes to try. If you have not already tried it, it might be worth a shot:
    https://hellonutritarian.com/nutritarian-cashew-cheese-sauce/

Since we mentioned the pickled onions, I will also mention that I am loving Mexican Restaurant Pickled Carrots. Same idea as the onions, but you cook the carrots just a little, to make them more tender. The onions, Mexican oregano, bay leaves and peppercorn give them a great flavor.

I am still being 6 week plan strict, but upping the intake a bit. I hit my original goal. I still want to lose some body fat, but also want to build muscle.

@magic71755 , how are you doing this weekend? I enjoy videos, too. James Clear is a favorite of mine. He's interested in building habits, which I find a useful complementary topic. Here's one of his you can try if you like - How to Get 1% Better Every Day.

@tdh1991 - I am going to try your quesadilla recipe out on my teenager!
  • Mihani
    Hi Austin, I bookmarked that recipe for the pickled carrots before but haven't had a chance to give it a try yet. It sounds great. I have made the Hello Nutritarian cheese sauce. It's okay but much thinner than I thought it would be. I was thinking about adding a bit of arrowroot powder to it next time. I actually bought her Power Prep plan a couple years ago and got the more recent version free because I had the old version, but I've never tried doing the whole week prep yet since I'm mostly working 7 days a week these days. I've tried a few of the recipes though, that's where I got the pickled onions idea.

I am heading back to the office again today. Sigh. But I did make it to the grocery yesterday and will do some cooking and prepping tonight. Salad bar, OSG French lentil stew, cabbage and kale casserole, roasted broccoli and asparagus, sauteed green beans and peppers, a couple salad dressings/sauces. I'm going to try pickling some red cabbage this week in addition to the usual onion.
  • magic71755
    Mihani wrote: »
    That recipe sounds good Terri. I haven't yet found a a compliant "cheese" sauce that I love, but I keep experimenting. Which reminds me, I still haven't found a low sodium salsa that I really like either. Any recommendations?

Magic, what cookbooks did you get?

Austin, those onions, I know! Now if I don't have any I feel like my salad is really lacking.

Good ETL day...
    B/L - oats with the usual additions
    S - lara bar
    D - big ol' salad, sprouted grain sammich of sliced cucumber and radish with spicy mustard, a handful of raisins and a few walnuts

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...I did get the paperback ETL...and then I got a few books in Kindle:

ETL Quick and Easy Cookbook
    ETL Cookbook
    Nutritarian Handbook

I should look at them...so much easier to have a book in your hand. But I thought I would save money and this way I would always have the books along with me if I were at the store. Six of one, half dozen of the other, I guess.

• magic71755
    edited April 2019
    Noticing Wanting Doing and Liking...already have this guy on and am listening to him, Ausin.

James Clear. I love this kind of stuff...BIG THANKS!

• AustinRuadhain
    magic71755 wrote: »
    Noticing Wanting Doing and Liking...already have this guy on and am listening to him, Ausin.

James Clear. I love this kind of stuff...BIG THANKS!

Hey, Magic, I have all 3 of the books you bought on Kindle! The Handbook is helpful. The Quick & Easy Cookbook has been the most helpful of the two cookbooks, for me. I'd be delighted to talk more about habit building if you are interested! I am reading his book, Atomic Habits, now.

Mihani, pickling red cabbage sounds like a great idea. Do you leave it completely raw? Or cook it just a bit? Since raw cruciferous is so useful, I may try a small far of raw, just to see how that goes.
  • Mihani
    I am trying the cabbage raw Austin... just getting to making that tonight actually. I also want to try it with radishes.

Magic, I like the Q&E cookbook better than the first one too.

I admit I'm struggling a bit the past week. Had a handful of pretzels at work today, but other than that has been a good ETL day and I got the GBOMBS. The next week is going to continue to be crazy with work and then maybe I can take a weekend off after the 15th. Won't that be nice!
  • magic71755
    Today went like this...
    massaged kale salad
    oatmeal, flaxseed meal, berries, banana, soy milk
    a few bites of The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show Mock Tuna...made a fresh batch. It does not taste like tuna to me. It tastes like potato salad. Recipe: https://plantbasedcookingshow.com/2019/03/31/mock-tuna-salad/

dinner left over bean veggie soup with some quinoa pasta...(I threw the package away...it was a big bag from Costco...organic quinoa and something else)

banana choco frozen nice cream.

Let me get into Atomic Habits Austin. I did find that setting my kitchen up to make it fit the goals I am trying to achieve with WFPB/ETL way of life was something I was doing...he speaks of that action as well. I am watching his youtubes ...and listening to interviews. I love this guy. James Clear.

Later, gang. Dinner is boiling over. YIKES!
  • AustinRuadhain
    Hi gang!

I am having a good ETL day.

B - smoothie (spinach, blueberry, flax seed, coffee)
    L - steamed greens and chickpeas/garbanzo beans, with nooch, pickled red onion, chopped roma tomato; fresh juice (beet, carrot, red cabbage, zucchini, ginger, lime)
    D - big salad, steamed mushrooms, cauli-spinach mash

Side note: I can't remember if I have recommended this Penne Pasta Florentine. My son and husband both enjoy it.
  • magic71755
    Austin, I ordered the book...will be here Friday...been watching lots of his YouTubes. Very impressed...all makes sense.
  • Mihani
    Hello! Still a lot of pressure going on with work and putting in crazy long hours. I will be in the office all weekend but next weekend I am going to try to stay away from there.

I've heard of the Atomic Habits thing. Haven't looked into it though.

Past couple days have been salads, oatmeal, and pretzels and rice cakes. I'll get it together this weekend and going to start back to 6 week plan strict.

• magic71755
    When you start the six week plan, Mihani, could you let me know, and tell me what that all involves. Thanks!

Back to work today

oatmeal with the usual stuff
    massaged kale salad
    veggie bean soup with rice noodles
    Joe's Mean Green freshly made juice
    from the Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show, Mock Tuna Salad

that is a 13 hour day. When I come home...play iwth Lulu and then to bed...no more eating.

I keep losing and gaining the same two pounds...and I have 15 to lose. Sheesh!
  • Mihani
    Hi Magic, I'm going to start back to 6 week plan strict today. I think you mentioned you just got Dr. F's book so you'll learn more when you read that, but the basics of the 6 week plan are outlined in the announcements in this group and Terri posted a helpful list from the Nutritarian Handbook as well. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10014693/nutritarian-guidelines#latest

I'm heading to the office. Fun never ends!
  • magic71755
    edited April 2019
    Thank you Mihani!

You must be an accountant? With the deadline? And you working so much right now? Yes?

I am putting my lunch together ... out of greens...but did make a big batch of Joe's Mean Green...I will have to figure something out for me...I still love juicing and I know that is not part of ETL program. Anyway, I am still WFPB...trying very hard to be SOS ... for sure no added sugar...easy to NOT cook with oil...a bit of salt always seems to pop into something...but I do not add it.

I am the only one I know who eats like this...it gets lonely, actually. Professional Day is April 24...it is my weekend, but I am going to join the ladies. It will be hard finding something ...I forgot the name of the restaurant already...but will get it for you all before hand...I do think I will be able to have veggies and rice...it is an Asian restaurant ...but everything was fried when I looked yesterday...I am sure they can steam some veggies for me.

The 17th I have a baby shower to go to...that is going to be very difficult. These ladies cook everything I cannot eat. I am hoping there will be at least a fresh salad and fruit salad.

You know...watch any commercial ...of course it has been this way for a long while, but food is so insane...it is not even food anymore...bigger fatter burgers with more and more crap piled so high. Everyone is so fat...I mean, no one cares. Corporations really have created a Pleasure Trap...but somewhere down the line people need to take responsibility. (Markets carry very little real food...it's all processed junk.)

I am 70, I love life...I love feeling happy every morning...my knees are feeling so much better...I still have to watch that I do not over do...no sports anymore but, man, adding turmeric to my life has made a huge difference. I can play with Lulu out in the backyard...well, it is just a big grassy area...no fence...(condo)...but I can stand and have her on a 50 food leash and let her run and enjoy outside...and I can STAND the whole time. That is because of how I feul my body.

Thanks for including me into this group. Thanks for listening. Have a great day everyone.

Hugs all around. <3