Best way to cure runner's knee?

Hi all,

I'm relatively new here, I started running two months or so a go with a goal of getting to 5k. I have reached 5k, but recently i'm finding that my knee is in agony after my runs. Does anyone have any advice for how to treat it?

Any help would be amazing!

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Are you getting proper rest? I had the issue of knee pain when I tried to do too much too soon.
  • emas115
    emas115 Posts: 10 Member
    Are you getting proper rest? I had the issue of knee pain when I tried to do too much too soon.

I am running twice a week at the moment, on Saturday and Sunday- maybe that's not a good idea? I just find it difficult to get time during the week.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    emas115 wrote: »

I am running twice a week at the moment, on Saturday and Sunday- maybe that's not a good idea? I just find it difficult to get time during the week.

That is what I started out doing last year too which caused my knee pain initially. The 2 days back to back with 5 days of rest can hurt more than help. For best results, it would benefit you to try to get some running in during the week, too. Ideally it would be 3 days of running with at least 1 rest day in between. Knee sleeves can help, but they won't solve the issue.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    rest is the best thing. and possible icing

it could be a few things
    it could be that your shoes are not providing you the right support. consider going to a local running store. most have free gait analysis and most people find it helps them find the right shoes. the right pair of running shoes are cheaper than injury and all the medical bills that come with that
    it could be your running too fast. common issue. slow down.
    it could be that you upped your mileage too fast. it's best to follow a plan. things like c25k or zombierun. there are also plans by kelly roberts and hal higdon. using an established plan helps prevent injury
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Hi! Totally agree with the above. If you add mileage to soon or too fast, even if you have super cardio for other sports, you will hurt somewhere.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Knee issues from running could be any number of issues, and each will require different treatments. A good doctor to assess the issue would be the first stop. Like the other posters have stated, adding mileage too fast, and running training runs too fast, is a common cause.

Adding mileage too fast and doing my training runs too fast caused knee issues for me when I initially started running. A doctor was able to determine it was patellar tendinitis. In my case, slowing down to a more appropriate training pace instead of racing every run and icing for a month or so until the inflammation went down was the treatment.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Did you do a structured program like couch to 5k? Or did you push through quickly?

I am currently working on the last (9th) week of c25k and had knee and hip pain at week 2 or three that was pretty bad. I ended up adding 2 rest days between runs to recover then more importantly slowed my pace on the running segments a lot. At “over 50” I figured I was doomed to joint pains but it really helped me build up endurance and avoid injury.

My gut says it’s a combo of too much too fast and not enough rest.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Oh, I almost forgot... if you haven’t already, get fitted for shoes at a running store where they analyze your gait. Well worth the time and money.
  • Bwilty7
    Bwilty7 Posts: 45 Member
    IT band and psoas could be tight. Could be heel striking. Feet could be tight. Lacrosse ball is your friend.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    If you're in significant pain, see a doctor. There could be significant issues and, even if there aren't, a decent MD has significant training, experience, and insights and for the sake an hour of your time and a small fee, you can purchase a lot of that person's expertise.
    Many docs are, unfortunately, "anti running". That attitude is good old fashioned ignorance enquire about that before you sign up for an appointment.
    If you're in significant pain, stop running. PFPS ("runner's knee") is an overuse injury. If you are in pain that does not resolve in a few days or that causes you to limp in pain, stop running until the pain resolves.
    Insofar as figuring out what could be the cause, the most simple, concise site I found for running injuries is runningwritings.com.
    I had knee pain for over 30 years and it was resolved by running. The key for me was to strengthen my "VMO" (the "vastus medialus obliquus"), which is the muscle that controls the patella. Find a picture of Meb Keflezighi - his muscle definition is amazing and that's one of the reasons for his incredible longevity (including choosing the right parents).
    For your issue, check out this link - http://www.runningwritings.com/2012/03/injury-series-uncovering-role-of-hip.html
    Good luck with this. My knee pain resolved after I'd been running for a few months. I did have other overuse injuries when I was running but, fortunately, knee pain wasn't one of them.
  • emas115
    Oh, I almost forgot... if you haven’t already, get fitted for shoes at a running store where they analyze your gait. Well worth the time and money.

I'll definitely do this, thanks for your help!
  • emas115
    ATT949 wrote: »
    I had knee pain for over 30 years and it was resolved by running. The key for me was to strengthen my "VMO" (the "vastus medialus obliquus"), which is the muscle that controls the patella. Find a picture of Meb Keflezighi - his muscle definition is amazing and that's one of the reasons for his incredible longevity (including choosing the right parents). For your issue, check out this link - http://www.runningwritings.com/2012/03/injury-series-uncovering-role-of-hip.html

Thank you so much for the in depth response to my question, I have been reading a lot on line about how strengthening the muscles around the knee helps to prevent injury so i'm very interested to read this article. Cheers for the recommendation.
  • emas115
    Thanks everyone for your help on this, i'll be taking on your recommendations. First off, I need to make sure i'm running in suitable trainers! :)
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Strength train with single leg exercises. Start with 2: single leg Romanian straight leg deadlifts, and single-leg Bulgarian squats. they work magic for runners knee.
    Then, as some already suggested, get fitted for running shoes at a specialty store. Know your pronation.
  • marathongal
    marathongal Posts: 6 Member
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I would see a sports medicine doctor. It could be any number of things: wrong shoes, building too fast, bad form, etc. Let a doctor decide.

Yes! I was a running coach for years and I fully agree with VioletRojo - A sports doc should be your first stop when you are in pain. If you don't have one see if you can get a good name or three from a local running group.

Second stop is a reputable running store - if they don't watch you walk/run to check your pronation please run out the door to another place.

Third - stretch, strengthen and get a great beginners running plan. You can find some really good free ones online. I personally like Hal Higdon's plans but he is a bit old school and you might find a couch to 5k plan you like better.

Good luck!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    ‘Best Way to cure Runners Knee’ is quite simply to see a sports physio. They’ll give you treatment and advice and likely the correct exercises to do at home. They may also tape it for you with KT tape. You could do this at home and if you look on YouTube there’s videos of exercises & stretches to do to cure runners knee but if you can afford time time and money then 100% go see the physio.

Good luck and don’t be put off, it is resolvable.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Knee issues from running could be any number of issues, and each will require different treatments. A good doctor to assess the issue would be the first stop. Like the other posters have stated, adding mileage too fast, and running training runs too fast, is a common cause.

Adding mileage too fast and doing my training runs too fast caused knee issues for me when I initially started running. A doctor was able to determine it was patellar tendinitis. In my case, slowing down to a more appropriate training pace instead of racing every run and icing for a month or so until the inflammation went down was the treatment.

This! Slow down, add mileage incrementally. I would even add a short run mid week. Are you strength training? Weak quads, glutes etc can cause you to overcompensate else where.

Also, ice after a run. Stretch afterwards. Ibuprofen when needed.

See a dr.