For Those Who Eat to Fit in Their Macros...

smoofinator
smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been counting calories for a million years, but just started to eat within my macros (like, a few days ago). I was wondering what, if anything, you noticed when you switched to paying attention to - and eating within - your macros? Did you feel better? Have more energy? Lose weight faster? Bust through a plateau?

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated, even if it's that you noticed no difference whatsoever.

If anyone is curious, here are mine (what today looks like):
ficsrgtbgamh.png

***ETA: I am still counting calories (about 1300/day), but I've started to eat those calories within my recommended macros.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I think having the numbers look pretty is about the only change I saw. I tend to keep my carbs lower than the MFP recommendation, so adjusting my macros helped with the psychological aspect of having everything line up. I already knew that I tend to feel better with the lower carb count and was eating that way anyway.

I think if someone was trying to adhere to the MFP macros and then changed their macros to try different combinations, they might see a change in how they felt as far as satiety or energy levels.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    First I make sure my calorie intake suits my goals above all. Without that I am not going anywhere. Then I focus on protein. Also making sure I get enough fats and carbs, especially on workout days. I feel best with higher protein for body composition, satiety and adherence, also I like higher carbs in and around workout days for better performance and energy.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    What I noticed was that I just generally felt better meeting my minimum fat and protein intake, and that on workout days using the additional calories to bump up carbs is helpful in my routine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    For me, macros are about energy and satiety. When I increased my protein and fiber, I was way more comfortable eating at a deficit. I think it's not a bad idea for anyone who's interested to play around with their %s if they struggle with hunger, feel low energy, or don't recover well from workouts.

Having said that, macros are just a general guideline and not something to stress about, and different macro plans work for different people.

I'm most comfortable in the range of 50/30/20 to 45/30/25 -ish :smile:
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    For me, macros are about energy and satiety. When I increased my protein and fiber, I was way more comfortable eating at a deficit. I think it's not a bad idea for anyone who's interested to play around with their %s if they struggle with hunger, feel low energy, or don't recover well from workouts.

Having said that, macros are just a general guideline and not something to stress about, and different macro plans work for different people.

I'm most comfortable in the range of 50/30/20 to 45/30/25 -ish :smile:

same, i do it for fullness and energy for the gym while in a deficit
  • SpazLivingLife
    SpazLivingLife Posts: 2 Member
    When I started tracking and eating according to Macros everything changed for me. It took some time to get my body adjusted and had the expected lo days, but once I had been eating this way for awhile my energy and mood shifted DRAMATICALLY. Yes, the weight loss was great, but it's really been about how my brain feels.

Also, sardelsa, how on earth do you get enough protein? I have struggled with this for some time. Actually, how does ANYBODY get enough protein? I have to double scoop my protein shakes to get to about HALF.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Actually, how does ANYBODY get enough protein? I have to double scoop my protein shakes to get to about HALF.

What is your protein goal? Mine is 110 as a minimum. I have 2 scoops of protein powder with water for breakfast which = 50g. I have Tuna at lunch, which accounts for 34g. Today I had some turkey jerky, which gave me another 33g as my snack. I've already hit my goal, and I think my daily goal is higher than a lot of people's so just keep an open mind. Greek yogurt is great with veggies to get some protein in too! When I don't get as much protein throughout the day, I have eggs and bacon for dinner which typically helps me meet my mark and stay within my calories as well.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    @smoofinator in my experience, it's all about how I feel day to day. Eating within certain macros helps me with a lot of things, but I don't disagree with other people that tracking macros doesn't "help" everyone. It's always good to keep an open mind and play around with them to see if you feel any positive changes. I find it easier to stick to my calorie budget, it has helped with my chronic pain. I did not notice an energy shift immediately after changing my macros, but now that i'm about 2 months in I have felt an energy shift for sure. I have not lost that much weight, so that is why I do not contribute the weight loss itself to these changes, but the change in my eating habits.

As long as you're sticking to your calories, playing around with macros won't halt your progress so I say switch it up and find a balance that works best for you!
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    I played with macros. I’m female, 5’4”, currently 173 down about 30 lbs in 10 weeks.
    I get MUCH hungrier on higher carb. I’ve found for emotional stability I do best at about 45-50% fat, 20% carbs, 30-35% protein. If I eat lower fat, say 38%, I emotionally crash during the day. I do however carefully try to meet my fiber goal with those carbs.
    Some people thrive on carbs, and some people just don’t. You won’t know until you try.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I've done a few different macro percentages. When I'm higher carb I have great energy and can fuel my workouts. And no matter how I set-up my macros, I've generally lost weight as expected.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Actually, how does ANYBODY get enough protein? I have to double scoop my protein shakes to get to about HALF.

What is your protein goal? Mine is 110 as a minimum. I have 2 scoops of protein powder with water for breakfast which = 50g. I have Tuna at lunch, which accounts for 34g. Today I had some turkey jerky, which gave me another 33g as my snack. I've already hit my goal, and I think my daily goal is higher than a lot of people's so just keep an open mind. Greek yogurt is great with veggies to get some protein in too! When I don't get as much protein throughout the day, I have eggs and bacon for dinner which typically helps me meet my mark and stay within my calories as well.

I do 135g a day (+/- 10g) as my goal

Yesterday- odawalla protein shake (36g); oikos triple zero yogurt (15g); bagel (13g); 1.5 oz Asiago cheese (14g); milk/cereal (22g); left over lasagna (20g) and oatmeal (4g) and random other snacks
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    The only reason I focus at all on macros is satiety and to avoid cravings. With my carbs over 40%, I am hungrier and "cravier." I did keto for about a year and loved how that plan took satiety off the table for me as an issue that would lead me to over-eat. I decided to go to a more moderate-carb plan, but still have to go lower than the standard MFP rec (and higher in protein) to avoid being hungry.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I eat 40c/30f/30p. It keeps me satisfied. The more carbs I eat, the hungrier I get