have you made yogurt?

wlkumpf
wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
I made yogurt yesterday and it was fantastic! I made it like 10 years ago and it sucked bad.

I microwaved fat free milk, 2 qts for 17 min, it was about 180 degrees. Set it in a sink that was 1/2 way up the bowl with cold water and let it sit 10 minutes till it got to 110 degrees.
Mixed in 4 TB (about) regular yogurt (I used vanilla and made sure it didn't expire for a long time) for the probiotics. I also added a few TB of honey because I was afraid it would be bitter.

Let sit covered (I used a plate) and wrapped in a towel in your oven with just the light on for 8 hours.

You can strain it with cheesecloth at this point if you want greek yogurt, you pour into the cheesecloth gently and let sit a few more hours to strain out the clear stuff.

Store in the fridge and you can use this next time as your started instead of buying yogurt. According to the youtube video I watched (salad in a jar lady) you can use any form of milk including non dairy or any amount of fat to make yogurt. Might try half almond milk next time!

Replies

• jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    I've tried once before. Failed miserably. Plus we hate plain yogurt. Would be tempted to try again if I could get it to come out right or taste good.
  • I have a yogurt maker that I use all the time - so much cheaper than regular yogurt :)
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    I use plain for baking or as sour cream, but yeah, I hate unflavored too. I hae been adding sweetend coconut, but you can actually add different sweeteners before you leave it at 110 degrees for 8 hours or after that. I want to try some with honey and mashed banana or with different fruits but I don't have any right now. I think mine is sweeter than some because I used regular vanilla yogurt as my started and added a couple tablespoons of honey at the start.

Online it said you can sweeten it with jam, I always have that on hand so I will try that too. My first attempt was such a failure it took me about 10 years to try again. I watched youtube videos to figure out which one looked easiest and with the least wasted in case I hated it.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    I tried to make yogurt several years ago, but it was an epic fail. One problem is that the yogurt does have to sit in an area where the warmth is constant for a few hours (so the culture can start acting).

Yogurt and sourdough bread are the only two foods I know that need starter cultures.
  • gnot59
    gnot59 Posts: 1 Member
    If you have Instant Pot with a yogurt button you cannot fail. http://www.friedalovesbread.com/2017/06/easy-cold-start-yogurt-no-boil-method.html?m=1
    And it tells how to do boil method
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I used to make it more, but we go through sooo much yogurt now that's all if b e doing us making yogurt! Love plain.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I make yogurt sometimes in a thermos because I can't always find lower fat yogurt. I have a large thermos and it comes with smaller individual containers that can fit inside. It's so handy because they come out ready and portioned. I don't make Greek yogurt because I prefer mine full fat and that's easy to buy.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    I make it all the time with unsweetened plant/nut milk + probiotics. Easy peasy.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Yeah I make yogurt sporadically. I heat skim milk on stove to 180 degrees. Let cool to 120. Whisk in 2 big spoonfuls of yogurt with bacteria. Wrap container in towels and store either in oven or cooler overnight.

Because I prefer Greek yogurt I strain with a cheesecloth. I usually leave mine plain because I often use in place of sour cream. But it's also great with some vanilla extract and honey mixed in.
  • RowingBill
    RowingBill Posts: 36 Member
    Gidzmo
    Many home brewers of beer make a yeast starter to increase yeast count and productivity of yeast before adding to their mash. When they find a good yeast they like they continue to use that strain for consecutive batches.

I always wanted to try making my own yogurt and adding fruit before eating just for flavor.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    It's odd to try to think of yogurt as a necro thread.

I do not expect to make any yogurt while trying to do keto. Before this stage, I consumed yogurt often and made my own using powdered milk, tap water, and a crock pot.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I used to make it all the time either in my Crockpot or in a Thermos. It's been a few years since I've made it. I love homemade yogurt plain, even warm.
  • namaste1968
    namaste1968 Posts: 1 Member
    I want to try to make it in my Quick Pot but I want to use unsweetened cashew milk or almond milk. Has anyone ever tried that? I’m wondering if I would still have to mix in regular dairy yogurt to get the cultures going or if it would work well with a nut milk-based yogurt. Also, can I still get that thicker Greek-style texture using a non-dairy milk?

• amusedmonkey
    I want to try to make it in my Quick Pot but I want to use unsweetened cashew milk or almond milk. Has anyone ever tried that? I’m wondering if I would still have to mix in regular dairy yogurt to get the cultures going or if it would work well with a nut milk-based yogurt. Also, can I still get that thicker Greek-style texture using a non-dairy milk?

Not enough protein for that. Soya milk may work better.
  • amusedmonkey
    just_Tomek wrote: »

If you think about what yogurt is, you will soon realize why this isnt ever remotely possible.

It actually is possible to use a yogurt culture with soya milk. The texture is a bit different and it's a bit runnier, but it's possible.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Used to make my own whole milk yogurt all the time when had access to milk and cream from a local Jersey cow dairy. Also was a time when it was a regular feature in my diet. Between losing ingredients access after moving and the time required to babysit it, easier to just buy skyr or fage in a pinch these days.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I make yogurt sometimes in a thermos because I can't always find lower fat yogurt. I have a large thermos and it comes with smaller individual containers that can fit inside. It's so handy because they come out ready and portioned. I don't make Greek yogurt because I prefer mine full fat and that's easy to buy.

I honestly don't understand. You say you make it because you can't find lower fat yogurt, but you then say you don't make Greek yogurt because you prefer full fat.

Greek yogurt has nothing to do with fat. And what do you prefer, lower or full fat?

I make yogurt all the time. Whole milk, Greek style. That's full fat. Greek style is just strained, it removes the whey (liquid) which removes some of the remaining lactose (sugar), so it is less sweet and thicker. It tastes like cheese if you eat it unflavored.

I use my Ninja Foodi (which is like an instant pot) but it doesn't have a button so I do manually. I do a gallon or half gallon at a time, usually a gallon.

Take your starter yogurt (I use plain, either store brand whole milk plain or Fage 5%) and set it out to warm to room temp.

You heat the milk on medium (watching closely) or med-low (less watching required) stirring occasionally. When it reaches 180 degrees, remove from heat. Turn off Ninja/IP and shut lid. You can wait to cool naturally to below 120 degrees, or put it in the sink full of ice water and stir constantly, it will cool quickly. I find it forms a skin when left to cool slowly, which is recommended to remove, so I usually quick cool. After it hits 120, I move it back to the foodi.

Remove a cup or so to the bowl with the starter yogurt, blend thoroughly, I like a whisk. When it's fully incorporated, pour back into the rest of the milk and stir it around to distribute. Put the lid on, set to vent. Wrap Ninja/IP in a towel/blanket for 8-12 hours.

After 8-12 hours (usually overnight or all afternoon) I move to a nut milk bag, place in a strainer over a bowl, strain for 4-12 hours (sometimes overnight, sometimes just a few hours). I've also used coffee filters in a strainer too, but the nut milk bag is easier.

After all that time, which sounds like a lot but it's almost all hands-off time, I mix 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 Tablespoons vanilla, and 1/8-1/4 swerve and flavor it with that. That recipe is for a gallon, I'd do half for a half gallon.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    I make thick, rich, and creamy yogurt using one quart whole milk, 10 ounces 1/2 & 1/2 cream, and 30 grams whole milk powder. I use an inexpensive yogurt maker that results in consistently good batches portioned into 6 ounce jars at 169 calories each. Both sweet and savory add-ins work well.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited April 2019

I honestly don't understand. You say you make it because you can't find lower fat yogurt, but you then say you don't make Greek yogurt because you prefer full fat.

Greek yogurt has nothing to do with fat. And what do you prefer, lower or full fat?

I don't have access to low fat regular yogurt, the Bulgarian kind. The one that has whey intact. We use it a lot with food, and I don't mind it low fat. I make it because I can't buy it. We use Greek yogurt differently, and I don't like it low fat. I don't have to make it because I can just buy it (full fat Greek-style yogurt is everywhere). What I'm basically saying is that when I make low fat yogurt I don't strain it, and when I need Greek-style yogurt I don't make it.

Yogurt is such an important part of our culture that we have "dairy shops" that sell freshly made yogurt made using traditional methods. Even mass-produced yogurts have an expiration date of one week for regular and two weeks for Greek-style. 99% of yogurts are sold plain and the ingredient list only has 2 ingredients, milk and active culture (3 for Greek-style because it also has salt). Basically, the exact same thing that I would be making is available cheaply everywhere, so I don't feel the need to make it unless I want low fat, which isn't available everwhere.