Almonds disaster

13»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I think almonds are boring. Dry. If I am going to spend calories on something really calorie dense, it is going to be Jif Extra Crunchy. A small dab on an almond nut thin cracker (16 =130 calories) and tastes about as good as a big glob on a spoon. Repeat 10 times.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    I haven't had almonds for maybe 4 months for this exact reason. Any nuts are a disaster waiting to happen for me. I mean, yeah, I can have a handful and stop, and have done that a few times, but then it's a whole day of sulking because I can't have the whole bag. I've switched to unshelled seeds. 250 calories of unshelled sunflower seeds lasts a good while because of the work involved and "looks" abundant.

Same issue with sweetened condensed milk. If the can is open, all sorts of things will be wrong with the world if it survives to the next day.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited April 2019
    Oh Heaven I love almonds. I honestly can't think of a nut I haven't loved.

But I can't be entirely trusted with them and I like those pre-packed packets that are portioned controlled for that reason. Yeah, more expensive but it's the closest thing to a responsible adult monitoring my nut intake!

Also this is the example I use that points out that "just because it's healthy doesn't mean portion control isn't important". At least for me.

I wish "intuitive eating" worked for me; apparently it doesn't. Oh well. Now I'm skinnier than I was in college, though!

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I'd rather have cashews. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Macadamia nuts for me! Salted and roasted. Heavenly.

Caloric little suckers, though. :D
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    That way of eating was a popular diet fad more than 100 years ago. If you’re interested, do a Google search for Fletcherism or Horace Fletcher, i read his book that someone emailed me as a PDF. It was a fun read.

"The basic premise of the Chewing Diet includes chewing your food 32-80 times until it becomes totally liquefied, and then spitting out what’s left. Through this method, you absorb fewer calories while still enjoying the taste of all the foods you love."

Good God, what is this nonsense. :s
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I think almonds are boring. Dry. If I am going to spend calories on something really calorie dense, it is going to be Jif Extra Crunchy. A small dab on an almond nut thin cracker (16 =130 calories) and tastes about as good as a big glob on a spoon. Repeat 10 times.

I love almonds, although I like pistachios and walnuts and cashews more.

I don't like peanut butter much. Other nut butters are tastier, IMO, but I still find the texture of whole nuts more appealing. I realize this verges on heretical.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I love almonds, although I like pistachios and walnuts and cashews more.

I don't like peanut butter much. Other nut butters are tastier, IMO, but I still find the texture of whole nuts more appealing. I realize this verges on heretical.

No, I think you are right. Whole nuts are great and you have listed them in my order of preference: Cashews, Pistachios and Walnuts.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    tmpecus78 wrote: »
    That way of eating was a popular diet fad more than 100 years ago. If you’re interested, do a Google search for Fletcherism or Horace Fletcher, i read his book that someone emailed me as a PDF. It was a fun read.

"The basic premise of the Chewing Diet includes chewing your food 32-80 times until it becomes totally liquefied, and then spitting out what’s left. Through this method, you absorb fewer calories while still enjoying the taste of all the foods you love."

Good God, what is this nonsense. :s

Don't know what you're talking about but that is not what I was talking about. I agree what you said would be nonsense. Never heard of it. I'm not attracted to nonsense and wouldn't have become aware of it on my own. Fletcherism was something else a long time ago and had quite a following. I can best describe it as mindful eating and a good way to slow things down for those who tend to inhale their food.

• RowingBill
    RowingBill Posts: 36 Member
    When I eat almonds now, I count them out. My sources say 22 almonds is one serving. So, I count them out, all 22 of them. Then I chew each one thoroughly until it's completely liquified. This takes time and by the time I've done the same with the 22nd almond, I've had enough. Works for me.

Yup, I do the same. Lightly salted Blue Diamonds. My source allows 1oz or 28 of em.

• livingmybestlife123
    livingmybestlife123 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2019
    I buy a bag of the individual Orchard Valley Harvest. It has about 6-8 pouches in it. They are already measured out. Some are a blend though. The the dark chocolate covered almonds are 150 Cals a pack and are satisfying for me. I also love the omega 3 pack with almonds other nuts and dried fruit. Also about 130-150 cals
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Nuts is one case where individual packages don't work for me. The amount is just sad!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    When I eat almonds now, I count them out. My sources say 22 almonds is one serving. So, I count them out, all 22 of them. Then I chew each one thoroughly until it's completely liquified. This takes time and by the time I've done the same with the 22nd almond, I've had enough. Works for me.

Have been eating lots of peanut butter lately and that requires a different "trick" to eat at an acceptable level. Thus far, I've been able to stick to my plan on that one too.

I do something similar with chocolate chips or Ghirardelli squares - I let one chip or a tiny bite of the square dissolve in my mouth. It takes me a very long time to eat 50-70 calories worth, and by the time I'm done my chocolate itch is scratched. Previously, I could down 300 or so calories of chocolate.

That was the first thing that came to mind. Come to think of it, I also try to eat pizza very very slowly, taking small bites and chewing thoroughly. Again, this allows me to have less without feeling deprived.