How often do you workout?

Sorry for all the posts, I'm back new to MFP and working out and feel like a real newbie.

I've been doing Lower Body 3x times a week and upper body 2x a week with some sort of cardio like swimming thrown in at the weekends.

I am OK to train lower body 3x aren't I? I have no specific goal except lose fat which I'm doing on a calorie deficit, I don't follow a programme as such like SL's etc, I use the one I did with my PT a long time ago. I'm not new to weight training but haven't done any since before last October so am kinda new in terms of keeping to lower weights, ensuring form is good etc.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    As I mentioned in your other thread, I would highly recommend following a program. Using the one your PT designed for you can be fine if you want but I would make sure it has the proper amount of muscle stimulation and progression built in.

Also how often you train bodyparts depends on your program... load, volume, recovery. I have done programs in the past that worked lower body 6x per week. Obviously it wasn't hard and heavy each day and was designed properly so that I was able to recover within the day.

• karenscofield1
    karenscofield1 Posts: 15 Member
    How often do I work out? Not often enough! I sit at a desk all day. I get off work at 5 and get home around 5:30. I am very hungry by the time I get home so I start dinner. By the time I'm done eating and cleaning up its 7 o'clock and I just don't want to work out. I get up at 5:30 but I like to sit and gather my thoughts so I don't want to work out. I just can't find time to work out except for the weekend. Therefore, I work out 2x per week.
  • Bwilty7
    Bwilty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Train as much as you want, as long as you can recover. Elite athletes train up to 5-6 times a day, as their job requires. Remember, your workout is only as good as you can recover. The largest component of body composition and performance is diet. Focus on that and exercise as needed. Make sure you SLEEP!!
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks all! Yeah I understand what people are saying about following a programme but I am following one. I think because my main goal is to lose fat but also getting back into working out is important to me I’m not overly fussed on progression! I just want to enjoy doing it and at the moment I really am 😀 which is positive for me considering my mindset towards working out has been 0%!
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Full body 3x a week
    HIIT opposite days 3x a week
    And anything I like in between, my goal is 6 days a week.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Do strength 5x a week, cardio 2x a week with an active rest day and a regular rest day no the weekend. it's been working so far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Right now doing a push/pull split on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Lap swim on Tuesdays and sometimes Friday depending. Cycling on the weekend.
  • Jess_Heartson11
    Jess_Heartson11 Posts: 18 Member
    Per week:

Pilates: 2 x 45 mins

Figure Skating: approx. 8-10 hours (4-5 times per week)

Horse-riding: approx 3 x 30 mins per week

Cardio (treadmill or eliptical): 2 x 20 per week.

I'm trying to increase the intensity of my cardio workouts, as I'm struggling with time lately (excuses I know :neutral: ). Any tips to increase cardio without adding hours in the gym?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    2 Strength training sessions
    1 Brick (Cycling followed by a run)
    2 Runs
    2 Cycling
    2 Swims
  • JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Sorry for all the posts, I'm back new to MFP and working out and feel like a real newbie.

I've been doing Lower Body 3x times a week and upper body 2x a week with some sort of cardio like swimming thrown in at the weekends.

I am OK to train lower body 3x aren't I? I have no specific goal except lose fat which I'm doing on a calorie deficit, I don't follow a programme as such like SL's etc, I use the one I did with my PT a long time ago. I'm not new to weight training but haven't done any since before last October so am kinda new in terms of keeping to lower weights, ensuring form is good etc.

I think 3 times a week is ok as long as your not going too heavy, like you said. But I've always considered hitting each muscle group twice a week is sufficient. Hell, some people even do once/week. I hit each muscle group 2/week with cardio thrown in 2-3 days a week.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    I dont work out like normal people. My working out is actual work.

Shoveling or large rural laneway.
    Cutting,splitting and stacking firewood.
    Gardening.
    Landscaping.
    Hiking.
    Kayaking etc

May-September I "workout " every day for at least a few hours. In the winter it's mostly just clearing snow(in the land of snow nonetheless) which takes two of us approx 60-90 minutes.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I don't have a formal workout program. I do walk/train dogs a couple times a week; walk between my classes at work; do gardening; take my own dog for a walk; etc. I may start a traditional gym based program sometime in the future.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    A lot...I average 2 hours of biking every day of the year. Last year was 831 total hours riding from January 1 to December 31. I also commute 1 mile twice a day to work but don’t log those miles. I have pretty set schedule.

Mon/Fri 1 hours easy
    Tues/Wed/Thurs 2 hours tempo to intervals
    Saturday 3-6 hours
    Sunday 2-4 hours

I also do this all winter. I spent 4 hours and 45 minutes on my trainer inside last Saturday. Summer I have had crazy weeks...max was 48 hours of riding in one week.

John
  • JadeRho
    JadeRho Posts: 2 Member
    I don't have a set workout routine - I walk the dog, have and active job (lifeguarding) and walk to school/classes
    I am however hoping to start Sarahs Sweat It To Shred It Program in the coming days
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    I work out 6 days a week: alternating between lower body days and upper body days (like Monday, Wednesday and Friday I’ll do arms, chest and back, the other 3 days are my leg/lower body days) But I do some cardio - Exercycle, low impact aerobics every day. I change my routine a lot so I don’t get bored. 😌🏋️‍♀️