Hernia Situation and Losing 10 lbs

Hi all I I have to get a Hernia surgery in July done. I just got a hernia a week and half ago. and it is totally impairing my physical activity. i am normally athletic. However now due to extreme pain in doing anything. I have to limit myself to just 30 mins of light walking. as my activity
i got a surgery date in July, Hernia is on my abdominal so i really cant do much
i need to loose 10 lbs, plus i just want to cut
right now i am about 175 lbs
when i was training hard for cycling i was down to 165 lbs i want to get to 160 lbs
I am male 5'7 41
Right now I am cutting all sugar out of diet, all breads,
just looking at eating simple soups, and egg or 2 a day, some yogurt
more less the basics

if with my limits to physical activity
is it possible for me to really cut all the fat off my body and get really lean and healthy again just from diet alone?
i am really determined to cut all sugar out and fat
possible?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    jflongo wrote: »
    Hi all I I have to get a Hernia surgery in July done. I just got a hernia a week and half ago. and it is totally impairing my physical activity. i am normally athletic. However now due to extreme pain in doing anything. I have to limit myself to just 30 mins of light walking. as my activity
    i got a surgery date in July, Hernia is on my abdominal so i really cant do much
    i need to loose 10 lbs, plus i just want to cut
    right now i am about 175 lbs
    when i was training hard for cycling i was down to 165 lbs i want to get to 160 lbs
    I am male 5'7 41
    Right now I am cutting all sugar out of diet, all breads,
    just looking at eating simple soups, and egg or 2 a day, some yogurt
    more less the basics

if with my limits to physical activity
    is it possible for me to really cut all the fat off my body and get really lean and healthy again just from diet alone?
    i am really determined to cut all sugar out and fat
    possible?

Try going Vegan for a month or two and see how that goes for you.

Going vegan or paleo or keto or whathaveyou is no surefire guarantee to weight loss.

OP, if you want to lose 10lbs cutting out items isn't going to be nearly as helpful as weighing and tracking. You may lose, you may not. Set a reasonable rate of loss, be precise and be patient. And be sure to actually fuel yourself properly, you're not going to do yourself any favours if you undereat or lack variety in your diet.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    There are some good fats you should consider continuing to eat, like avocados and nuts. And yes, you can lose weight with less physical activity. If you re-set your MFP goals with your current weight, your preferred rate of weight loss, and set your activity level to sedentary, you'll see how many calories a day you should consume. Then do that.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    You really might want to ask your doctor if you should be worried about losing weight prior to surgery. Dieting puts stress on your body and it is already under stress from the hernia.

Wishing you the best - hernias are miserable!
  • worldtraveller321
    worldtraveller321 Posts: 150 Member
    i am losing weight since the hospital i am getting surgery at says to loose 10 lbs, so more the better
    plus right now i am very limited in my activity
    so i really dont want to gain any weight, i want to keep my eating low and lose fat etc