never mind

lastingmemoriesnursery1
lastingmemoriesnursery1 Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Never mind

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    1200cal is the generally recommended minimum for women (1500 for men), so yeah it's not really a good idea to go below that on a regular basis. The odd day, won't really hurt anything. You still need nutrients and enough calories to fuel your daily activities, after all. You're still early on the journey though so it may come down to tinkering with your food. Maybe more calorie dense things. Maybe your body is just going through a temporary phase.
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    My BMR is 1100 a day, so I eat under 1200 every day. But under 1000 is really low. You most likely will not be able to sustain such a low calorie count. Why don’t you eat breakfast? You could get 200-300 calories there. Also what is Nos Energy? That is your highest calorie item. If it is an energy drink, mate replace with a whole grain or other whole food.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Doesn't look like you are weighing your food so it is possible you are eating slightly more than you think. I notice you have dressing for dinner and none for lunch.

You can eat a large amount of calories in very few bites. A candy bar is a good example.

It is not a problem for a short amount of time but you can't eat this way perpetually because it doesn't give you enough nutrition and it can lead to significant medical problems.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Here's a reading list for you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive/p1

Starvation mode isn't a thing, so no need to worry about it. If you're gaining weight, you're not in a deficit. It's that simple.

^^^ Also, that.

Get a food scale, and start using it religiously. Choose correct entries in the database. See how much you're really eating.
  • grace42c wrote: »
    My BMR is 1100 a day, so I eat under 1200 every day. But under 1000 is really low. You most likely will not be able to sustain such a low calorie count. Why don’t you eat breakfast? You could get 200-300 calories there. Also what is Nos Energy? That is your highest calorie item. If it is an energy drink, mate replace with a whole grain or other whole food.

NOS is an energy drink. I work weird hours so when I do get up usually around 9:30 am or 10am I drink 2 8 oz glasses of water and go to the gym I then eat when I get home which is my breakfast/lunch I am just not a roll out of bed and eat something kind of person. I normally would wake up and grab a NOS but I am trying to cut back on those and only have 1 at breakfast/lunch instead of the 4 I was drinking a day
  • NovusDies wrote: »
    Doesn't look like you are weighing your food so it is possible you are eating slightly more than you think. I notice you have dressing for dinner and none for lunch.

You can eat a large amount of calories in very few bites. A candy bar is a good example.

It is not a problem for a short amount of time but you can't eat this way perpetually because it doesn't give you enough nutrition and it can lead to significant medical problems.

Thanks for the catch on lunch. I did have 2 tbs of olive garden italian dressing. It was a crazy day lol I am weighing and measuring the food on scales and in measuring cups etc. I dont eat candy I did pick up some ice cubes (icebreaker gum) and some mints though.
  • So this is the thing. EVERYONE including doctors say oh you have to be eating more than you are logging etc. Unless I am sleep eating. This is what I ate today with the exception of missing the salad dressing at lunch 2 tbs of italian olive garden dressing. So YES "normal" people would most likely loose a bunch of weight. But I unfortunately must not be "Normal" because I gain weight eating these amounts. Dont know if it is due to a hysterectomy 20 years ago or some other weird thing that goes on in my body. All of my numbers have my doctors running more tests lol Because technically they should not be what they are. I have the blood pressure, pulse and respirations of an athlete. I am a pack a day smoker and I am lucky to be able to do 35 mins on the treadmill The only abnormal thing was cholesterol so I am on medication for that. I was anemic but we got that sorted with iron and my vitamin D was almost non existent so on pills for that. I get that most have an over eating problem. And that is why I am FRUSTRATED. Because I dont my husband has to watch his consumption and he will tell you as well I barely eat and get full extremely quick. Again dont know if it was because of previous medical issues, PCOS, PCOD, IBD, and a bunch of other things or what but it is so frustrating when people say oh you have to be eating more than that to be at that weight. And according to the doctor that used the term starvation mode. Your body thinks it is starving therefore anything you eat, drink etc the body will store because it does not know when it will get anything again. Now whether or not that is true who the hell knows but that is what a doctor told me
  • SueSueDio
    OP's diary is open - or at least it was yesterday - but she only has a few days logged so far. Most entries seem to be in cups, or per item, or by size of fruit/veg rather than grams.

(Although I can't fault everyone for that and it doesn't necessarily mean they're not weighing- some of my own entries are in "cups" or "servings" because that's the best entry I found, but I calculate the serving size based on the calories that it should be. Usually for pre-packed items or stuff that has nutrition info already on the label, like my "3cm x 3cm cube" of cheddar that's the correct calories for 30g - I weigh my slices, I don't get the tape measure and cut a cube off the block!)
  • SueSueDio
    I think she wants validation that she's gaining weight on a starvation-mode caloric count, not proof that she's really consuming more than she's claiming. She wants us to believe that her body alone is defying physiology.

If that's the case, she's just one more of a large group of people who sadly would rather believe they have no control over their bodies and their weight than to put forth some honesty and effort to really dig into the specifics.

Unfortunately, a lot of people see the phrase "you're eating more than you think" and feel as though others are calling them greedy or out of control, so they get defensive. That's not the case - if you're still listening, OP! - it's just that many, many people are very poor at gauging portion size by eyeballing. Watch some of the many videos on this site and you'll see how easy it is to underestimate the amount of calories you're eating! (I linked to one of them in an earlier post.)

And even for those who do actually weigh their food, it's still easy to make errors when choosing database entries to log as there are so many incorrect ones! Who wouldn't prefer to choose the 150-calorie onion bun option (assuming there is such a thing) rather than the 320 calories that it really is (and that was a shock when I read the package, I can tell you!). It's important to be as accurate and as honest as possible, and some people struggle with that when they start out. Some of us still do at times, even after a few years... :)
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I for one was pretty stunned when I actually weighed my food and measured my liquids! The big one for me was flavored coffee creamer. I was putting 3 to 6 oz per tumbler of coffee. I was giving myself credit (I thought generously) for 2 Tablespoons. YIKES! That's a huge difference in calories! Now I pour the creamer into a measuring beaker and add exactly 2 oz to my coffee, no refills of either. This morning I experimented with using my protein drink as creamer, it worked and now I don't really need to add the extra creamer calories everyday.
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    If you are still out there, first listen the advice of the people who weigh their food- they have been successful and in reading in forum I have learned they make amazing strides. Second eliminate the energy drink. It is just chemicals and who knows how it is messing with you system. Eat Whole Foods instead. Finally, you said this condition you have was not temporary but you also say you have only been trying 4 days. Give the food weighing 90 days and then you will have a better idea.
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    So this is the thing. EVERYONE including doctors say oh you have to be eating more than you are logging etc. Unless I am sleep eating. This is what I ate today with the exception of missing the salad dressing at lunch 2 tbs of italian olive garden dressing. So YES "normal" people would most likely loose a bunch of weight. But I unfortunately must not be "Normal" because I gain weight eating these amounts. Dont know if it is due to a hysterectomy 20 years ago or some other weird thing that goes on in my body. All of my numbers have my doctors running more tests lol Because technically they should not be what they are. I have the blood pressure, pulse and respirations of an athlete. I am a pack a day smoker and I am lucky to be able to do 35 mins on the treadmill The only abnormal thing was cholesterol so I am on medication for that. I was anemic but we got that sorted with iron and my vitamin D was almost non existent so on pills for that. I get that most have an over eating problem. And that is why I am FRUSTRATED. Because I dont my husband has to watch his consumption and he will tell you as well I barely eat and get full extremely quick. Again dont know if it was because of previous medical issues, PCOS, PCOD, IBD, and a bunch of other things or what but it is so frustrating when people say oh you have to be eating more than that to be at that weight. And according to the doctor that used the term starvation mode. Your body thinks it is starving therefore anything you eat, drink etc the body will store because it does not know when it will get anything again. Now whether or not that is true who the hell knows but that is what a doctor told me

One other thing to note is that there are some side effects if on cholesterol medication. For example, you may want to speak to your doctor about lowering CoQ10 levels when on a cholesterol medication like a statin. The reason to bring this up is because CoQ10 is an antioxidant, and if this is depleted will lower the antioxidant capability.