Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    The dread-mill...I love it! I have never heard it called this before, but it’s the perfect moniker.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    As you age you gotta train smarter. Your body won't cover for you if you have poor eating and training habits. There is a book that really helped me in that regard. It is by an influential author/coach in the triathlon & running world, Joel Friel, entitled, "Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life". It draws on current research from aging and sports performance. It won't get you off the couch, but if you're already training and trying to stay in the game it is right up your alley. It really helped me understand how my body responds to training as I age and how to avoid over training, injuries and setup a training plan that works.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    us Baby Boomers rock. 60 is the new 40 right? We danced during the birth of rock n roll... danced to the Summer of Love / Woodstock era / danced all night thru the disco Saturday Night Fever party fueled years...danced thru the 80s classic rock / Heavy Metal / Country and still dancing with the new Ga Ga music of 2019... age is a number and I'm not giving mine up yet.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    As you age you gotta train smarter. Your body won't cover for you if you have poor eating and training habits. There is a book that really helped me in that regard. It is by an influential author/coach in the triathlon & running world, Joel Friel, entitled, "Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life". It draws on current research from aging and sports performance. It won't get you off the couch, but if you're already training and trying to stay in the game it is right up your alley. It really helped me understand how my body responds to training as I age and how to avoid over training, injuries and setup a training plan that works.

+1 for Friel's "Fast After 50".

I love how he lays out all the physical factors that come into play as we age, but then describes specific actions we can take to maintain performance and delay the onset of performance degradation as we age. The two most compelling concepts to me are 1) You have to continue to go HARD on the hard days if you want to maintain high performance and 2) We need longer recovery between hard efforts as we age. Regarding #2, he even notes that some older athletes have had great success by adopting a 9 day training "week" as a method of ensuring greater time separation between quality training sessions.
  • tbeard42
    tbeard42 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2019
    I turned 51 in December and let bother me for a while. I'm trying to get back into half-marathon shape where I was just 4 years ago. I've had some health issues recently that have really bothered me and interfered with my getting back into shape. I'm determined to be healthy and active to my last day. I have 11 children (yes 11) 25 to 2.5 years old. I want to live to see all of them married have kids. That is my goal.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    My grandpa... I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how old he is. Late 80's or so... he still gets up at 4 or 5am every morning and goes to the gym. He's healthy, looks great. I think, if you don't use it you lose it. Seeing the differences in the way active vs non-active people age is really quite alarming. That is my main motivation for staying healthy and active.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Seeing the differences in the way active vs non-active people age is really quite alarming.

Yes it is. And that is sad, since so much is within our control.
  • lms_938
    lms_938 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2019
    rosiorama wrote: »
    I am currently reading “Older Faster Stronger” by Margaret Webb.

Thanks for mentioning this - I just checked at my library and they have a copy so I am on my way to pick it up!
  • JMT5712
    JMT5712 Posts: 121 Member
    Likewise oldsters! Fitter now at 52 than I was at 32. Not sure I would be able to do the gym at 4 AM now 😂 I like my bed!!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Seeing the differences in the way active vs non-active people age is really quite alarming.

Yes it is. And that is sad, since so much is within our control.
    It really is. I've been getting a bunch of age related comments lately due to an illness I've been dealing with for weeks now (all tests come back clean) but it's slowed me down by a good deal. Even so, I still do something every day, even if it's just walking.

I know the comments are out of concern though, so I'm not taking them to heart. Even so, there's just no compelling reason yet to just stop. :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Another inspiration.

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Sigh. I am 44 and just found out today that I have arthritis in my knee. I am really active and my knee has been slowing me down for years already. This feels like a nail in the coffin.

Wrong thread? Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. Any wisdom/advice?
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Oh you guys. Yer just all ascared to get old