What are your thoughts?!

So I was curious what you guys thought leads to weight loss? Do you think it’s all about CICO or do you think it’s more macro based? I’ve just been doing 16:8 IF along with a 1000 deficit according to what I’m burning daily (have a Fitbit Versa). I’m really good about logging everything I eat, but I’m always over my sodium and I know I need to drink more water! I seem to fluctuate 3-4 pounds constantly.

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    So I was curious what you guys thought leads to weight loss? Do you think it’s all about CICO or do you think it’s more macro based? I’ve just been doing 16:8 IF along with a 1000 deficit according to what I’m burning daily (have a Fitbit Versa). I’m really good about logging everything I eat, but I’m always over my sodium and I know I need to drink more water! I seem to fluctuate 3-4 pounds constantly.

The weight loss is all about energy balance and thus CICO. What you eat, when you eat it, hydration, consistency in when you eat vs weight, all add up to the fluctuations we see daily. Especially if combined with higher sodium levels, and even more so on days with high sodium levels and less activity.
  • Thanks everyone!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    KevHex wrote: »
    For me: 100% CICO

^ This but for everyone.

OP, do you mean CICO or calorie counting? CICO is an just what happens to your body and will gain if CI>CO, lose if CI<CO, or maintain if CI=CO...
  • I guess I should’ve said calorie counting. Just focusing on the calorie count instead of focusing on how many carbs or grams of fat I’m eating.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    I guess I should’ve said calorie counting. Just focusing on the calorie count instead of focusing on how many carbs or grams of fat I’m eating.

Calorie is king in weight management. Macros for exercise performance, muscle growth and retention, individual satiety.

Personally carbs are what make me full
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2019
    I guess I should’ve said calorie counting. Just focusing on the calorie count instead of focusing on how many carbs or grams of fat I’m eating.

Yes that's a completely different question.
    (I'm currently losing a few pounds without calorie counting/food logging but it's still CI less than CO that results in my weight loss.)

It's your calorie balance that determines what your weight does long term - calorie counting lets you be more accurate and accountable.
    Macro counting doesn't have to be set numbers or percentages either, many people set minimum values for specific macros according to their needs and wishes and the rest of their calorie allowance is flexible.

If you aren't losing weight when you are aiming to then the first thing to nail down is your calorie intake. An open food diary helps people help you if that's useful to you.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    Weight loss is all about CICO. Macros are for health and satiety. Three to four pounds fluctuations is pretty typical. You need to look at the overall trend not the individual weigh ins. If the trend is going down then you are losing weight even if your weight is fluctuating up some days. Once you get to maintenance you will need to set a maintenance range because your weight will never be just one number. It will always be going up and down probably by 3-4 pounds.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    KevHex wrote: »
    For me: 100% CICO

^ This but for everyone.

OP, do you mean CICO or calorie counting? CICO is an just what happens to your body and will gain if CI>CO, lose if CI<CO, or maintain if CI=CO...

100% this!!

No "woo" about it.