Questions about KETO/Low Carb "diets"

I'm on day 1 of my "low carb"/KETO meal plan. I've always been a calorie-counter, so this low carb thing is completely new to me. My goal is to lose 30 pounds initially, and then another 20-30 pounds after that. I'm currently 5'3" and 180 lbs (female).

My goal is to eat no more than 30 carbs per day, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I eat 35 (you know what I mean?) -- I'm trying to give myself some grace this time around.

So here are my questions --

1) is 30 carbs (or less) per day a good goal?
2) should I be concerned about calorie counts? (ie. my meals and 1 snack today are adding up to almost 1800 calories (!!!!) -- this is mind-blowing to me.
3) is walking a good form of exercise for beginners on this KETO/low carb journey?

Anything else I should know or keep in mind while I start this journey?

Wish me luck! I hope you have the best day ever!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I'm on day 1 of my "low carb"/KETO meal plan. I've always been a calorie-counter, so this low carb thing is completely new to me. My goal is to lose 30 pounds initially, and then another 20-30 pounds after that. I'm currently 5'3" and 180 lbs (female).

My goal is to eat no more than 30 carbs per day, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I eat 35 (you know what I mean?) -- I'm trying to give myself some grace this time around.

So here are my questions --

1) is 30 carbs (or less) per day a good goal?
    2) should I be concerned about calorie counts? (ie. my meals and 1 snack today are adding up to almost 1800 calories (!!!!) -- this is mind-blowing to me.
    3) is walking a good form of exercise for beginners on this KETO/low carb journey?

Anything else I should know or keep in mind while I start this journey?

Wish me luck! I hope you have the best day ever!

1) 30g is as good as any other carb goal. It's a question of figuring out which level works best for you, or if you even need to worry about it at all. I believe most people consider "low carb" anything under 100g (though some go as high as 150), while keto is usually under 50g, or even less if you are using net carbs I think?

2) Calories are what determines weight loss. Macro levels can make it easier/harder for you to hit your calorie goal. If 1800 calories is not a calorie deficit for you, you will not lose weight, regardless of what food you eat. Some people don't need to count calories to stay in a deficit if they eat low carb, but the calories still count.

3) Exercise needs don't really change based on what you are eating. Walking is a great beginner exercise for anyone.

Just to reiterate... A calorie deficit causes weight loss. Low carb or keto can make it easier for you to hit your deficit without feeling hungry or triggering over-eating (assuming you are one of the people who finds fats filling and/or carbs triggering). Be patient with yourself and learn as you go. Good luck!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    It really depends on you and what works for you. I started at 5'0 and 237.5 pounds. I'm now 199.5 pounds. I generally aim for 1200 calories a day. Sometimes I'm a little over or under. I try to keep my carbs at about 20. That works for me. Judging by your height and weight and goals you can probably lose weight comfortably with more. Calorie counting never worked for me either and I've tried everything. I didn't think any diet could break my food addiction, but keto really works for me. I checked with my doctor first (and so should you) and then I tried to learn all I could about it before I started. YouTube is GREAT for keto. There's a lot of good information and positivity there and a very vibrant community that's constantly coming up with new recipes. I rely a lot on Dr. Ken Berry's channel for solid medical advice about keto. He's a practicing M.D. with a whole series of videos which can answer almost any question you may have. I can only speak for myself but I love this lifestyle and it's been a miracle for me. I don't get cravings, I never go hungry and never feel deprived. Good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Why are you starting a low carb/keto plan - what are your goals and what are your expectations?

As others have said, it's a perfectly fine approach but has no inherent benefits for weight loss above any other way of eating that puts you at a consistent calorie deficit.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    @sunnshhiine when you put your stats into MFP and tell it you want to lose a pound a week, how many calories per day does it tell you to eat?

If less than 1800, then yes, you should adjust what you plan to eat today, unless you are planning on making up the difference via calories you earn from walking.