• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Awesome getting back on track!
  • niallfh
    niallfh Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks folks. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    wow, your pretty smoking hot!, the way I see it, eat what you want,, just go work it off,,,you have done well, holidays are for having fun, eating what you want, drinking what you want. its not like you do that every single day.
  • niallfh
    Thought I'd catch up to this old post and share the rather disappointing news that I've shot back up almost to my original weight, only around 6 lbs short of it.

How I could put 6 stone on in just over three years is beyond me. It's been a gradual and soul destroying process.

Back to the drawing board today, and I'm going to aim to achieve the same result again. Hope I've got it in me.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    niallfh wrote: »
    Thought I'd catch up to this old post and share the rather disappointing news that I've shot back up almost to my original weight, only around 6 lbs short of it.

How I could put 6 stone on in just over three years is beyond me. It's been a gradual and soul destroying process.

Back to the drawing board today, and I'm going to aim to achieve the same result again. Hope I've got it in me.

Welcome back :) Six pounds short of your original weight? I'd look at that as a month jump on the process ahead. Let your deficit be reasonable, your heart hopeful, and your patience long. You may find that your original loss journey is one you can replicate. And you may find that this time around, there are some differences in how you want to approach it. In any event, good luck to you. Many of us have been through this.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Welcome back
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    welcome back
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Your last weight loss was aggressive and while this one probably has some water weight in it also is averaging really high on rate of loss per week.

I am too familiar with an all or nothing approach. I hope this is not the case for you. You should be shooting for 2 pounds per week right now. Try not to do anything you are not prepared to do for the rest of your life.
  • TavistockToad
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Your last weight loss was aggressive and while this one probably has some water weight in it also is averaging really high on rate of loss per week.

I am too familiar with an all or nothing approach. I hope this is not the case for you. You should be shooting for 2 pounds per week right now. Try not to do anything you are not prepared to do for the rest of your life.

agreed, 31lbs in 43 days is way too fast
  • niallfh
    Thanks Novus. Understand what you are saying, and trying to remain sensible when it comes to meal structure. Last time I was spending a lot of weeks attempting 2-3 day juice fasts for quick results and other similar silly methods. My sugar intake was always too high, and a lot of the time I was finding myself skipping meals.

This time around, I've had the chance to learn from different people about nutrition and I feel a little bit more informed. Following a significant and typical loss in the first fortnight, my average weekly loss has been around 3.6 lbs per week, which, granted, is still more than 2 lbs, but in doing so I am just focussing on cutting out foods which I really don't need. Luxuries. I am not denying myself a good size breakfast, lunch and dinner, but instead just trying to eat meals which allow me to maintain a good balance of fat, protein and carbs while avoiding excessive fats, salt etc.

What is perhaps most significant is how much more exercise I am doing. I was leading a sedentary / almost horizontal lifestyle and this has been the most dramatic change. Walking 2-3 times a week, 2 miles at least each time, and also taking the children swimming has made me feel a lot better - and I can feel it in myself that it is making a difference. I haven't been tracking any exercise, but my average daily burn must surely be a lot higher!
  • TavistockToad

This time around, I've had the chance to learn from different people about nutrition and I feel a little bit more informed. Following a significant and typical loss in the first fortnight, my average weekly loss has been around 3.6 lbs per week, which, granted, is still more than 2 lbs, but in doing so I am just focussing on cutting out foods which I really don't need. Luxuries. I am not denying myself a good size breakfast, lunch and dinner, but instead just trying to eat meals which allow me to maintain a good balance of fat, protein and carbs while avoiding excessive fats, salt etc.

looking at your diary, the last few days you have been eating 900 - 1100 cals per day. that's not enough for a 5ft sedentary pensioner and certainly not adequate nutrition for someone your size and activity level.
  • NovusDies
    Thanks Novus. Understand what you are saying, and trying to remain sensible when it comes to meal structure. Last time I was spending a lot of weeks attempting 2-3 day juice fasts for quick results and other similar silly methods. My sugar intake was always too high, and a lot of the time I was finding myself skipping meals.

What is perhaps most significant is how much more exercise I am doing. I was leading a sedentary / almost horizontal lifestyle and this has been the most dramatic change. Walking 2-3 times a week, 2 miles at least each time, and also taking the children swimming has made me feel a lot better - and I can feel it in myself that it is making a difference. I haven't been tracking any exercise, but my average daily burn must surely be a lot higher!

What your studies may not have taught you yet is that your body can only metabolize a certain amount of fat each day before turning to muscle. You want to burn fat. You absolutely do not want to burn muscle. The general rule of thumb is 1 percent of your body weight per week and for you that is now 2.7. It is a bad idea, IMO, to ride the maximum which is why you need to drop to 2 for an overall safe approach.

Your calorie deficit is about 1800 calories per day right now to maintain a RoL of 3.6. That is too high. You need to increase your daily calories by 500 right away and then recalculate in a few weeks to get your new rate of loss.

There are many health risks associated with eating too little. You could end up in worse health than you started.

• NovusDies

looking at your diary, the last few days you have been eating 900 - 1100 cals per day. that's not enough for a 5ft sedentary pensioner and certainly not adequate nutrition for someone your size and activity level.

I can't see the diary but that is too low and I have a hard time believing that is only a 3.6 rate of loss each week. It is more likely higher. You need to put your stats into MFP and eat your full calorie allowance each day/week.

• TavistockToad

I can't see the diary but that is too low and I have a hard time believing that is only a 3.6 rate of loss each week. It is more likely higher. You need to put your stats into MFP and eat your full calorie allowance each day/week.

logging may not be super accurate?
  • NovusDies

logging may not be super accurate?

Always a possibility. When I did the math his RoL over 43 days was 5.1 though. I still suspect some of it was initial water weight but that doesn't leave a lot of time to zero in on 3.6 being accurate.
  • niallfh
    While I'm sure you're both well intentioned, I could personally do without the cross examination of my honesty and accuracy when it comes to using the app.

Thanks for the advice though, all noted. :)
  • NovusDies
    How is mentioning the possibility a cross examination? It is always a possibility to get things logged wrong here and there. I doubt anyone is immune to it. I have found errors in mine plenty of times.

I hope you didn't focus on the inconsequential and miss the part where you could be really hurting yourself.