30 days and 1lb lost

Hi!

This app has made me realize how much I used to eat. I never even thought about counting what I ate!

Thirty days ago, I started counting and my daily calories to lose 1 lb a week were 1450. I remembered what it meant to have hunger pangs! It felt really good. I go to the gym 3 times a week and burn approx 300-350 calories each time on an elliptical machine.

I started at 160 and today I am at 159. Yesterday I changed my daily intake to 1200 to see if that works.

I feel like my body is changing a bit (more toned). Obesity is a family trait. I am the thinnest in the family.

I am 5’6 and 43 yo 159lbs.

Has anyone else had this happen before? It’s just a bit discouraging when I’m hungrier than ever but only lost 1 lb in 30 days.

Thanks for any words of wisdom :)

Replies

• amiskell28
    amiskell28 Posts: 23 Member
    Honestly, I would leave your calories where they were. You said it yourself, your body is changing. Give it time, and stay the course. I'm almost 44, and in about the same boat as you are weight wise. My calorie goal is 1400 as well, and after the first few weeks of change, where I didnt see much weight loss it slowly started to come off. Hang in there!
  • bentojo
    bentojo Posts: 6 Member
    Amiskell28 - Thank you for writing. I really appreciate those words of encouragement. I had a mini-breakdown this morning after my husband lost 7 lbs this month. I know everyone is different but I was a little jealous :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    are you weighing your food?
  • bentojo
    @TavistockToad I’d say 50% but you’re right, I should be doing more.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    There are a couple of likely culprits here. You might be eating more than you think you are (see @TavistockToad question about weighing food) or you're experiencing weight fluctuations and happened to catch yourself on a high day. You may also be retaining water for muscle repair from exercise if you are having muscle soreness.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    bentojo wrote: »
    @TavistockToad I’d say 50% but you’re right, I should be doing more.

you're likely eating more than you think. given your stats you shouldn't need to eat as little as 1200 cals to lose weight
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 988 Member
    edited April 2019
    It could be that you think you are eating 1400 but because of small errors in weighing/tracking your food (or over estimating calories burned) you are closer to 1500, 1550, 1600. That would slow down your rate of loss. For example, not putting a banana or scoop or peanut butter on a food scale to track grams could be a 40 calorie difference for me. Do that a few times a day, or trust a machine on calories burned when it is estimating a little high, and that’s your answer.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I will aslo add, that if you are getting your calories burned from the elliptical machine, it is most likely overstated, as those types of machines tend to be. I would suggest only eating half the cals back that it tells you you burned.
  • bentojo
    Thanks everyone. I will put more effort into weighing and tracking everything. If in another month I haven’t lost anything I’ll know my scale is broken ;)

Thank you for your insight.

• suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    I would add resistance training to your workouts. Cardio burns more calories based on time spent exercising but, can also burn lean tissue. Resistance training continues to burns calories after your workout is complete and will help you maintain or build lean tissue. Scales don’t account for fluid fluctuations, weigh your food but, start measuring your body once a month and notice how your clothes fit. The number on the scale only correlates to your gravitational pull to earth.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    bentojo wrote: »
    Hi!

This app has made me realize how much I used to eat. I never even thought about counting what I ate!

Thirty days ago, I started counting and my daily calories to lose 1 lb a week were 1450. I remembered what it meant to have hunger pangs! It felt really good. I go to the gym 3 times a week and burn approx 300-350 calories each time on an elliptical machine.

I started at 160 and today I am at 159. Yesterday I changed my daily intake to 1200 to see if that works.

I feel like my body is changing a bit (more toned). Obesity is a family trait. I am the thinnest in the family.

I am 5’6 and 43 yo 159lbs.

Has anyone else had this happen before? It’s just a bit discouraging when I’m hungrier than ever but only lost 1 lb in 30 days.

Thanks for any words of wisdom :)

I am also a 43 yr old woman. And while it's never been easy for me to lose weight, I find it's especially difficult now. I think age is definitely a factor. :(
  • veggieburger1
    veggieburger1 Posts: 12 Member
    try measuring yourself, esp if you're excercising! i had a month where i only dropped like 2 or 3 lbs and was feeling a bit discouraged so i took my measurements and realized i had dropped inches everywhere! a boost to my morale for sure.
    i know you don't have measurements to compare to right now but if you take them now, in another month you can compare and see what's happening. i would keep calories the same.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    OP, did I read you correctly? You measured twice, once at the beginning and once after 30 days? Weight can vary significantly from day to day due to a variety of factors, by well more than a pound. This is especially true for females. Your one month weight loss may actually be several pounds, but masked by day-to-day variations.

Two data points in 30 days isn't enough to really tell you anything. If you're going to weigh once per month, you're going to have to be prepared for a really long haul - half a year, probably - to see if you've got meaningful weight loss.

I would recommend weighing more frequently. Personally I think daily weigh-ins are most useful, but there are differing opinions on this. Search the forums for multiple discussions of weigh-in frequency.