Macro Help?

I’m struggling to figure out how to calculate my macros! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Replies

• asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Comment to follow thread, I've been wondering myself too!

I read somewhere that protein should be 1x[bodyweight in pounds] grams per day, but MFP has (without me changing any settings) given me 75 grams... so someone is clearly wrong, lol.

Want some macro tips too!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Macros are personal preference, they can affect satiety and compliance, not weight loss directly.

The MFP defaults are a fine place to start, many of us use them viewing protein and fat as minimums to be exceeded and let carbs fall where they may. As you lay down data in an accurate and consistent food log, start to make a note of what foods fill you up and which ones seem to be a waste of calories and see if there are any trends along the lines of macros you should prioritize.

The general recommendation I've seen often for good health is 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of your goal body weight, and 0.3g of fat per. I've also seen that while eating in a deficit it may be even more muscle sparing to aim toward the higher end of that protein range, if not even a bit more. :drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Mfp macros are fine, or 40/30/30 c/p/f is often used.

A number of people aim for 0.6- 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight (goal bodyweight if you're significantly overweight) and 0.3-0.4g of fat.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    macros are up to you, you can change the recommendation you get from mfp. i chose 30/30/40 c/f/p
  • Elleoj28
    Elleoj28 Posts: 7 Member
    Depending on what your goals are you can tweak them to what you like. I am trying to maintain muscle while I diet so I keep my protein pretty high (115g) I like how I look when I keep it fairly low carb so I aim for 50g in days I don’t work out and bump it to 120g on the days I do a lot of cardio. Then the fat flexes based on that. I also have premium which makes it super easy to pick which days I want which macros