Why Is My Body Getting Weaker and Failing Me???

sunscoutie
sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
I've been weight lifting at the gym for almost 5 months. I do small group personal training 2-3x a week. It's an hour each session and consists mostly of higher weights/lower reps (hypersets). We usually end with some sort of intense cardio drill. I love it. But it has been hard to figure out what to do in order to have enough "energy" to get through the workouts successfully. They are tough!

Some days I'm great, other days I've had to leave mid-way through because I almost passed out. Recently, I've been failing half-way through the workout, and then it takes me 2 days to regain my energy. I start feeling almost flu-like. Muscle chills, light-headed, lack of energy, etc. It's gotten to the point I'm nervous to go to the gym.

I went to the dr last week and they ran a ton of labs and everything came back within normal ranges. He said it could be low blood sugar and low water intake. I do have a hard time getting enough protein in and some days my water isn't the best. Is that really enough to through me off so badly? I mean, this is a terrible terrible feeling.

Has anyone dealt with something similar? What did you do to push through and overcome it? I signed up for a year of this personal training and it is expensive. I need to be able to get my moneys worth without feeling so terrible all the time! I'm wondering if my body just cannot handle the heavy weight workouts???

edit:
I'm 37, 5' 3.5" tall, 166lbs
I get 7 hours of sleep a night
I eat 1900-2200 calories a day (trying to stay at or below 1900 & get more protein)
I also walk 2x a week, ride horses 2x a week, barn chores throughout week
I have a desk job with a standup desk I utilize

Replies

• EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    What does your calorie intake look like? Are you under-eating? Also, are you getting sufficient sleep? When my nutrition and/or sleep are suffering, my performance in the gym drops like a rock. Also, I don’t know what your diet looks like, but don’t underestimate the value of carbs before your workout.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    How many calories are you eating a day? Without further information, my first guess would be that you aren't eating enough calories, which is leaving you with not enough energy to make it through the workouts.

If you are properly fueling yourself, you also might just be pushing yourself beyond your current fitness level. Are there different things you do on the days you get tired vs. on the days you don't? Talk with the trainer about certain modifications you can make to the exercise to match your current fitness level.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited April 2019
    Are you not eating enough leading up to the exercise?
    Are you on low carb?
    Are you eating back the calories you burn from exercise?
    how many cals do you eat? and what size deficit does that represent?

If you are getting enough fuel (calories, carbs, and proper timing leading up to an intense workout) it might come down to recovery... take more time between attending these sessions.
  • bobchicoria
    bobchicoria Posts: 4 Member
    I agree with EmbeeKay. Calories can have a large impact. Prersonally I found that 30% protein, 50% carbs and 20% fat works for me. Defenitely not a fan of Keto.Also my water intake generally exceed 10 cups of water not counting the 2 morning coffees and afternoon green tea. I do a 4 day upper/lower body split and generally get in a 5 mile power walk daily. I am quite a bit older at 69 (today) so that may make up some of the differences but I definitely notice when I don't get enough water. goos Luck
  • sunscoutie
    I added an edit to my original post with my stats & answers to the sleep/calories questions...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Is your calorie goal net or gross?
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    sometimes low iron levels can cause fatigue. i don't believe they check those numbers unless they run a cbc on you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    Over the past 5 months have you been eating and exercising consistently?

Excluding the last month have you been losing weight? Maintaining? Gaining? How much?

Same question for last month or since you started noticing lack of energy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited April 2019
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    I added an edit to my original post with my stats & answers to the sleep/calories questions...

1900-2200 calories should be enough to get you though, depending on the timing of your intake. may want to eat carbs a couple of hours before one of these sessions. If you already do that, recovery is probably the issue, more rest or time between sessions may be in order
  • sunscoutie
    edited April 2019
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It's hard to say. If you do 2200 calories on the days you exercise, it doesn't appear that you are terribly low. Although you are extremely active, so its hard to get an exact TDEE for you. You may want to try another 200-300 calories on those days.

But it may just be that you have too much exercise. Stand up desk, barn chores, walking, riding horses, plus the gym etc. Your body needs to rest and recover. You may be pushing yourself beyond your limits.

I just don't feel like I'm really over doing it. I do the lifting Tue/Thu/Sat, I walk Mon/Fri at work on lunch, I stand periodically at my desk (not actually moving around), and the riding & barn chores I've always done. I just feel like I spread it all out well enough.....but maybe you are right? I would hate to think I can't do all of this stuff. I enjoy it.

Plus, I'm really short and eating 2200 calories is a new norm for me. I was eating a lot less before I started lifting! I just feel like the lifting is throwing me overboard.
  • sunscoutie
    edited April 2019
    erickirb wrote: »

1900-2200 calories should be enough to get you though, depending on the timing of your intake. may want to eat carbs a couple of hours before one of these sessions. If you already do that, recovery is probably the issue, more rest or time between sessions may be in order

I do the lifting Tue/Thu/Sat. I felt like I was putting enough time in between. And those are a LOT of calories. My trainer told me to start eating like that in February. I was doing fine until a few weeks ago. I just don't understand how I can eat so much and still fail so bad.
  • sunscoutie
    I agree with EmbeeKay. Calories can have a large impact. Prersonally I found that 30% protein, 50% carbs and 20% fat works for me. Defenitely not a fan of Keto.Also my water intake generally exceed 10 cups of water not counting the 2 morning coffees and afternoon green tea. I do a 4 day upper/lower body split and generally get in a 5 mile power walk daily. I am quite a bit older at 69 (today) so that may make up some of the differences but I definitely notice when I don't get enough water. goos Luck

See...you do a LOT more than me! I am starting to feel like this is becoming a handicap.
  • TavistockToad

I do the lifting Tue/Thu/Sat. I felt like I was putting enough time in between. And those are a LOT of calories. My trainer told me to start eating like that in February. I was doing fine until a few weeks ago.

How many carbs are you getting?

How much weight have you lost since Feb?
  • SeattleBebop1
    SeattleBebop1 Posts: 26 Member
    What do you eat right before your workout (within half an hour of starting exercise)? Before I run, I eat an ounce of lox, and drink a glass of V8 to get protein / sodium / carbs. I find this helps me have sufficient energy for my exercise; I also have high arches so the sodium intake helps me not get cramps in my feet.
  • sunscoutie

I do the lifting Tue/Thu/Sat. I felt like I was putting enough time in between. And those are a LOT of calories. My trainer told me to start eating like that in February. I was doing fine until a few weeks ago.

carbs: about 200 most days
    I did lose 2lbs since feb but gained it back last week when I was so weak (tried to eat a ton to feel better)
  • sunscoutie
    What do you eat right before your workout (within half an hour of starting exercise)? Before I run, I eat an ounce of lox, and drink a glass of V8 to get protein / sodium / carbs. I find this helps me have sufficient energy for my exercise; I also have high arches so the sodium intake helps me not get cramps in my feet.

I try not to eat anything within an hour of these workouts because they are so strenuous. I don't want to puke! I don't really monitor this much...I eat whatever is around when I get home from work and then my workout is at 6pm.
  • TavistockToad

carbs: about 200 most days
    I did lose 2lbs since feb but gained it back last week when I was so weak (tried to eat a ton to feel better)

I'd see a doctor about possible anaemia if I was you
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2019
    You get decent sleep, but I would try to up it to 8-10hrs if you can to see if that helps. Sleep is the #1 factor in my performance. Also, is there anyway you can move your Tuesday lifting session to Mondays? I like to have at least 72hr recovery, so I like to do Lower Body M, Th and Upper Body T, F.

Also - have you done a deload/rest week at all since you started? It might be time for one.
  • sunscoutie
    thanos5 wrote: »
    sometimes low iron levels can cause fatigue. i don't believe they check those numbers unless they run a cbc on you.

I actually did havea CBC ran! All normal!