Muscle loss???

I'm actually panicking right now. For the past 2 weeks my muscles have suddenly dropped in size and at first I thought it was glycogen but now whenever I flex or feel myself, as weird as it may sound, I am so flat! Especially my chest. It's like a board.... I even lost weight when trying to bulk.

Could it be because of my lack of sleep? Could it be because I skip breakfast but eat normally and large portions after?
I make sure to eat enough daily calories though....

I train 5-6 times a week

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    What do you mean by "I even lost weight when trying to bulk"? How much weight, and over what period of time? Assuming you're looking at a long enough period of time, if you were losing weight, you weren't in a surplus.
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    Lack of sleep causing muscle loss? Never heard of that.

Skipping breakfast causing muscle loss? Not if you're getting sufficient calories/protein otherwise.

So, let's look at this - what causes muscle gain? Surplus of calories, adequate protein and progressive resistance training. Therefore, what causes muscle loss? Deficit of calories, inadequate protein, and no resistance training. Do any of those three things apply to you?

If not, I'd say you're panicking for no reason.

Then why am I actually feeling smaller and flatter? I kidd you not my chest feels like a checkerboard now
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Skipping breakfast causing muscle loss? Not if you're getting sufficient calories/protein otherwise.

So, let's look at this - what causes muscle gain? Surplus of calories, adequate protein and progressive resistance training. Therefore, what causes muscle loss? Deficit of calories, inadequate protein, and no resistance training. Do any of those three things apply to you?

Then why am I actually feeling smaller and flatter? I kidd you not my chest feels like a checkerboard now

Feeling smaller or measuring smaller?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    edited April 2019
    What time frames are we dealing with?
    What sort of calories?
    Unexplained weight loss especially if you believe you're in a surplus would warrant a doctor visit.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Make a doctor appointment. You'll probably get some blood tests to check on thyroid function, among other things. You'll probably get better answers this way than here on the forums (although everyone here is very helpful). You might feel reassured that it's just a blip on the radar. It's also possible that you'll get referred to a nutritionist to give you some more insight on what to eat while you bulk.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2019

This ^

OP, we all like to think we are experts on our own bodies, but perspective, worry, and hope are powerful things. People will often complain that they've lost a ton of weight but don't look any different, or they think their stomach has gotten bigger but once they measure they realize it's just that everything else has gotten smaller so their belly looks bigger.

If you are concerned. start taking measurements now and keep track. No one can really tell you if you've lost muscle without some kind of "before" measurement, but considering what you are describing and the short time frame, it's highly unlikely. Muscle gain/loss is a long term proposition.

If you've lost actual weight on the scale quickly and don't see most of it come back on over the next couple of weeks (which is what water weight would do), get a checkup to ease your mind.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Have you lowered carbs? If yes, and you haven't added them back, it could be glycogen.

Also want to make sure you are not overtraining and allow your muscles to recover between workouts. Lifting tears the muscles, rest and fuel allows them to rebuild, not allowing enough time to rebuild can impact muscle gain/loss
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member

Both...