Women Who Lift

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I post my lifting workouts in my profile page.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    I have gotten back into lifting after ~2 years off. I'm on my 4th week of Thinner, Leaner, Stronger (previously did a majority of New Rules of Lifting for Women). I would like to friend other women who lift, especially those who post/interact with posts regularly. I've been posting about my lifts and experiences, but none of my current MFP friends relate.

I enjoyed Mike Matthews podcast but found his calorie recommendations sooooo restrictive
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    I have gotten back into lifting after ~2 years off. I'm on my 4th week of Thinner, Leaner, Stronger (previously did a majority of New Rules of Lifting for Women). I would like to friend other women who lift, especially those who post/interact with posts regularly. I've been posting about my lifts and experiences, but none of my current MFP friends relate.

I enjoyed Mike Matthews podcast but found his calorie recommendations sooooo restrictive

I have tried his recommendations but couldn't sustain it. I switched to IIFYM Women and have had good results with Mike's workouts and my new macros.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    moogie_fit wrote: »

I will agree that I think he’s a bit out of touch with reality on his diet program! I balance out my own macros with the standard 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) plus guiding calories from a TDEE calculator and I’m trucking along nicely!
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    I have tried his recommendations but couldn't sustain it. I switched to IIFYM Women and have had good results with Mike's workouts and my new macros.

What is IIFYM?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    AgileK9 wrote: »

What is IIFYM?

If It Fits Your Macros
  • jdwebb32
    jdwebb32 Posts: 1 Member
    I am new to this forum but would love to have some women that lift as a friend. I have been lifting with a trainer two days a week but still am not sure if I am doing what I need to reach my goal. I would really like to lean out.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm 48 and would love to have some female friends who lift. I have been lifting a long time but not really progressing properly until the last year. I used to prioritize long cardio sessions and just fit in whatever I had time for in the weight room (not much), but all my results have come since I prioritized lifting. I'll send some friend requests to those who offered/asked, but feel free to add me if you're interested. I log daily and am very active in posting/commenting with my friends here.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I do a bit of lifting but my gym will have an open weights area starting at the end of the month (it was previously only classes). I'm thinking of trying out strong curves or 5x5! Always keen for friends.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    jdwebb32 wrote: »
    I am new to this forum but would love to have some women that lift as a friend. I have been lifting with a trainer two days a week but still am not sure if I am doing what I need to reach my goal. I would really like to lean out.

The only real way to lean out is to eat at a deficit. If you don't have much to lose I'd eat at a slight deficit and lift. Lifting gives you shape, losing weight helps the shape show.

Going from 120lbs to 115lbs has made a huge difference for me, I'm only 5'0" though.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'm so happy to have moved into the second stage of SC Advanced. I like the lower rep ranges with heavier weight. I'm sore again though :smiley:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    I lift heavy 5-6 x a week, I started about 7 years ago. I log my food every day, too.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    I lift heavy 5-6 x a week, I started about 7 years ago. I log my food every day, too.

Oh man your shoulders and arms are AH-MAZING!
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    edited April 2019
    I am new to lifting, have been a cardio queen most of my adult life. Do any of you post your workouts so that I can get ideas of what other women do in the gym?
    Right now I spin about 5 days a week and try and lift 4-5 days too but I am just sort of winging it and doing an upper lower body split but not really sure what exercises are best.
    Any advise and or routines would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    dimasj wrote: »
    I am new to lifting, have been a cardio queen most of my adult life. Do any of you post your workouts so that I can get ideas of what other women do in the gym?
    Right now I spin about 5 days a week and try and lift 4-5 days too but I am just sort of winging it and doing an upper lower body split but not really sure what exercises are best.
    Thank you

This link contains a list of lifting programs to get you started
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    dimasj wrote: »
    Thank you

This link contains a list of lifting programs to get you started
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you!!!
  • NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    55 years old and I've been lifting for about 4 or 5 years now. I have all the equipment in my basement so I work out at home, 7 days a week, as soon as I get up.

Because of subluxation in one shoulder (unrelated to lifting) I have to do modified OHP and bench. I've actually given up bench for several months but I may resume now that snow shovelling season is over.

I'm a hard gainer so between age and genetics I have to fight for every ounce of mass I build. But here's my old lady bicep

6Wh1VM8.jpg

Very nice!