Question on 1200 calories for us small folks

grace42c
grace42c Posts: 71 Member
If I use a BMR calculator, I get 1100 calories a day for my body size. But, MFP only goes down to 1200. I am working on getting the right number of nutrients and as long as I skip all junk food, I can make it on 1100. What is the reason for the 1200 limit?

Replies

• grace42c
    Thanks, what is TDEE? I am not trying to lose, just get healthier. Already the size of a 5th grader but as old as a grandma. 🙂
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    grace42c wrote: »
    Thanks, what is TDEE? I am not trying to lose, just get healthier. Already the size of a 5th grader but as old as a grandma. 🙂

Total daily energy expenditure. How many calories you use going about your daily life, including intentional exercise.

MFP users a different model - NEAT, or non exercise activity thermogenesis (gosh I hope I'm getting this right! :lol: ) That just means your daily calorie allowance doesn't include intentional exercise, thus the need to eat back you exercise calories in addition.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    You can go through the guided set-up on MFP and it will tell you how many calories to eat based on your stats and activity.

You can also find a TDEE calculator instead of a BMR calculator to tell you what to eat. If you are sedentary, for instance, your TDEE would be 1320.
  • grace42c
    Ok, ran the calorie estimator from set up.1400 calories a day to maintain at my current activity level, 1200 if I want to lose 0.5 pounds a week, which I don’t. That sounds doable. I was worried it would give me a much higher number. Thanks!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Ok, ran the calorie estimator from set up.1400 calories a day to maintain at my current activity level, 1200 if I want to lose 0.5 pounds a week, which I don’t. That sounds doable. I was worried it would give me a much higher number. Thanks!

Why are you afraid of higher calorie targets?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

I’m a smidge under 5 feet and I maintain at 110-115 lb. on 1400 not counting exercise. If you’re around those stats, then your maintenance calorie goal is probably about right. If you are taller and/or weigh more, 1400 for maintenance may be too low for you.

Keep in mind that in maintenance you need to hit your calorie goal on average, as well as eating back exercise calories. You don’t want to be under your calorie goal consistently, or you’ll slowly lose weight.
  • grace42c
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why are you afraid of higher calorie targets?

I am not afraid of higher calories. Just concerned that I would not be able to eat what was suggested. I am a 5-a-day mini-meal eater because of some stomach issues. I can’t eat a lot of volume at once.