Input please, new at this.

toriejaynee
toriejaynee Posts: 23 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay so 7 days a week, I usually have 700-900+ active calories and eat around 1500-1800calories. Should I do more? Or is this good?? Trying to loose belly fat and tone up and really gain some glute muscles
ucn0fudoytzt.png

Replies

• toriejaynee
    5/8 150 pounds.
  • toriejaynee
    Mainly staying around 1300-1500 calories a day and burning 2000-3000 total calories but 700-900 Active calories
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    What are 'active calories'? It's a measurement I haven't heard of before.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    @asliceofjackie active calories is what the Apple Watch and Apple Health app calls calories burned over and above BMR.

I average just under 1000 active calories a day myself, including two days off a week, but I am probably more active than most- at least two workouts a day plus average 14k+ steps. I do think it is extra generous in some types of excercise and not enough in others. It would be interesting (fascinating!) to know how accurate these devices really are.

OP, make sure you feed yourself. I’m 5’7” CW156. I don’t eat back my excercise calories (at recommendatuon of both dietician and doctor) but I average about 1900 carefully weighed and carefully varied calories per day (1700 daily and the occasional splurge averaged in.) . Too little food can be as bad as too much.

Someone here often makes the analogy of gassing up your car. Makes sense. Nothing runs without fuel.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    Oh and btw, Apple Watch does not sync well with MFP. Recorded walks always post for me, but everything else has been iffy. Like if I do a yoga and a Pilates one day, it will record neither, or only one to MFP. For example yesterday I had 1091 per Apple, but only 463 recorded to MFP.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Any increase of muscle in a prolonged energy deficit will be minimal. If you run a deficit that is too steep you will begin losing muscle.

Depending on your goal weight you should not be in more than a 1000 calorie deficit per day. More than that risks muscle loss.

If you have 6 weeks of information that does not include your first week of weight loss subtract your starting and ending weight and divide by 6. If this number is above 1 you need to add 125 calories per quarter pound to your daily calories. It does not have to be dead-on accurate but it should be close. 1.15 is fine for instance.
  • toriejaynee
    @Tavistocktoad I haven’t lost no weight been staying the same past three weeks
  • toriejaynee
    @springerlinger62 sooo I’m doing okay? I’ve heard so much different lol. I don’t eat back my exercise count either, it says 1583 calories and I usually eat more or exact to it almost. Proteins, low carbs ect. And trying to eat a crap load of protein to help.
  • NovusDies
    edited April 2019
    @Tavistocktoad I haven’t lost no weight been staying the same past three weeks

It is very common to stay at the same weight on the bathroom scale for 3 weeks and then have a sudden drop. But just in case are you weighing your food on a food scale?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale#latest
  • toriejaynee
  • toriejaynee
    @springlering62 my Apple Watch and mfp usually add up perfectlyyy.
  • toriejaynee
    @Dilvish it’s def a life style change, I have to. I use to be in the most amazing shape and got hospitalized and celiac disease and it messed me up hard core, I also do some cardio not a lot, and my food is mainly good carbs no bread or stuff like that (due to celiac diseSe) and I drink protein shakes and fruits and vegggggiies and chicken and steak, and quiona for “rice”
  • toriejaynee
    @lemurcat2 I did my Macros on calculator and online and fitbit and this app. And that’s what it came to like 1583 calories a day. Mainly proteins and fats and carbs. Good carbs tho.

Y’all got me soo confused 🤣
  • NovusDies
    edited April 2019
    It can seem confusing.

The long and short of it is that you have only been doing this for 3 weeks so it is impossible to really determine what your rate of loss is. It is important to nail down your food logging so that when you can determine your rate of loss, if any, you know how to adjust your calories. I suggest reading the following thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Oh and btw, Apple Watch does not sync well with MFP. Recorded walks always post for me, but everything else has been iffy. Like if I do a yoga and a Pilates one day, it will record neither, or only one to MFP. For example yesterday I had 1091 per Apple, but only 463 recorded to MFP.

FYI and true on this.

Apple does NOT sync correctly with MFP directly.

MFP is expecting from all trackers a synced Total Calories Burned (TDEE) with time stamp as the day progresses - or when you manually sync device to account.
    Workouts sent over is optional, Apple and Garmin do, other's don't.

MFP does the math with the TDEE figure, correcting itself, and estimating rest of the day at your MFP activity level rate.

Apple sends a TDEE figure which is really their figured base burn, seems to be normal Sedentary calc.
    They do NOT send the Active Calories that MFP needs.
    They do NOT include the workout calories which TDEE would obviously include.

Totally throws of any attempted math, and in the wrong direction.
    More active you are, more workouts you do - lower the adjustment and eating goal goes - totally backwards.

Need to use another app/account that syncs between them but handles correctly what TDEE really means that MFP is expecting.

@toriejaynee - confusion is with the many numbers flying around.

But keep in mind the basic concept:
    you want a reasonable deficit (as mentioned 500 is fine right now with over 15 lbs to lose) from what you burn in total each day - or in total for a week (3500 deficit then).

Since you have numbers for daily - it would simply be what Apple watch says you have burned in total (not base calories, not active calories, not workout calories - add them all up for total calories).

Apple cannot directly get those figures to MFP. Solution above if desired.

MFP was calculating your eating goal by estimating your base and active calories (using Apple terms there), by your selection of Activity level.
    Obviously with your active calories that high - you are not sedentary, if you selected that.

MFP adds workouts when done and logged.

Then it subtracts a deficit for eating goal.

When syncing is done correctly - all that is done automatically, even if you select Sedentary on MFP.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    @lemurcat2 I did my Macros on calculator and online and fitbit and this app. And that’s what it came to like 1583 calories a day. Mainly proteins and fats and carbs. Good carbs tho.

Y’all got me soo confused 🤣

Two different ways of measuring. MFP is based on the assumption that you do not exercise as a default, and when you exercise you need to log it on the app and eat back those calories. How much did you tell MFP you wanted to lose per week.

In the alternative, you can track the total cals you burn on some kind of fitness app and then just eat based on that (or sync it with MFP).