Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Replies

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    rosiorama wrote: »
    Sigh. I am 44 and just found out today that I have arthritis in my knee. I am really active and my knee has been slowing me down for years already. This feels like a nail in the coffin.

Wrong thread? Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. Any wisdom/advice?

Yes @rosiorama , I have advice. Stay really active. :)

I know that sounds trite, but I don't mean it that way. I've had arthritis in both feet for over 25 years, bad knees, torn rotator cuffs (one is repaired, the other, nyet...) as well as a few other "issues" and there are folks here who could double my list easily.

That said, I get your frustration, really do. Find work arounds, keep the spirit and mind healthy and happy, and learn to look around and see what life puts in front of you. I've been contending with an illness for weeks now and was feeling kind of pity party yesterday about it while gassing up my truck, and then notice two pumps over is a guy standing on two prosthetic legs gassing his vehicle up. My pity party came to a very abrupt end. :D

I understand the frustration, but don't let it dictate to you how you feel or stop you from doing what you can.

I'd offer a hug, but I have germs and you don't want them lol.

One of those hugs on your comment is from me. I am going to cut ‘n paste it elsewhere so that I can find it more easily.

Someone suggested it might be arthritis, but it’s been giving me problems for years already. I thought for sure I must be too young to have arthritis! I started doing some pretty intense fieldwork four years ago, which has meant two months of constant pain every summer. BUT I consider myself d*** lucky that I get to do it at all. I will keep pushing, and I know I have no real reason for a pity party.

It does give me even more incentive to keep the weight off though, and maybe lose some more. The ten pounds I’ve lost since January has made a difference. And now I know what it is. I walk a lot and in January, my knee was really swollen and I was convinced I had injured it. Apparently not.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Sigh. I am 44 and just found out today that I have arthritis in my knee. I am really active and my knee has been slowing me down for years already. This feels like a nail in the coffin.

I know that sounds trite, but I don't mean it that way. I've had arthritis in both feet for over 25 years, bad knees, torn rotator cuffs (one is repaired, the other, nyet...) as well as a few other "issues" and there are folks here who could double my list easily.

That said, I get your frustration, really do. Find work arounds, keep the spirit and mind healthy and happy, and learn to look around and see what life puts in front of you. I've been contending with an illness for weeks now and was feeling kind of pity party yesterday about it while gassing up my truck, and then notice two pumps over is a guy standing on two prosthetic legs gassing his vehicle up. My pity party came to a very abrupt end. :D

I understand the frustration, but don't let it dictate to you how you feel or stop you from doing what you can.

One of those hugs on your comment is from me. I am going to cut ‘n paste it elsewhere so that I can find it more easily.

Someone suggested it might be arthritis, but it’s been giving me problems for years already. I thought for sure I must be too young to have arthritis! I started doing some pretty intense fieldwork four years ago, which has meant two months of constant pain every summer. BUT I consider myself d*** lucky that I get to do it at all. I will keep pushing, and I know I have no real reason for a pity party.

It does give me even more incentive to keep the weight off though, and maybe lose some more. The ten pounds I’ve lost since January has made a difference. And now I know what it is. I walk a lot and in January, my knee was really swollen and I was convinced I had injured it. Apparently not.

That bold, that's the attitude :) I think everyone needs to blow off steam/vent/worry and air things out on occasion, and I remember when military doctors told me at 30 I'd be in a wheelchair before long...looking back they were probably right, if the medical community maintained the status quo, but there's folks out there figuring out new ways to keep us going all the time.

And in keeping in the spirit of the topic, my youngest is 28 and groans and complains enough for the both of us :D

I've read a lot of what you post and you got some strong attitude going on there, and I like it. I bet you won't let a speedbump, even a really irritating one, slow you down for long before you find another way to keep doing what you love. :) Hang in there, you can do this :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Hey, thanks for the positive anecdotes in this thread. I'm about to turn 49 and always get introspective (and sometimes moody) around my birthdays. The older people I know have been aging poorly, so seeing this stuff has really helped today.

Anyways, off to the gym! ;)
  • Phirrgus
    Djproulx wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Oh you guys. Yer just all ascared to get old

Hahaha. (but I think you've missed the point).

It seems to me that this thread has attracted a group of people who are very focused on ensuring that our "health span" equals our life span. Seems like that's not a course of living for those who are "ascared" or see themselves as victims.

BTW, its also a lot more fun. :)

Always like your posts @Djproulx :)
  • Phirrgus
    Looking at things from that awkward age between birth and death, being 'age appropriate' is something to avoid from the moment you hit 18!

I've known people who were born old and those who, in their 80s, go out regularly to 'help the old folk'.

Aging can be a matter of health, but I'm not sure it is always about time. Staying as fit as possible is the best plan.

It would be good to keep really living right up until the last minute and not to put myself in death's waiting room long before having to be there.

:)
  • rosiorama
    edited April 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

With apologies for going a bit off-topic, as someone else with some knee OA (and a torn meniscus on at least one side, now I'm thinking maybe both):

Weight loss made a huge improvement for me.

Also, fat and thin, I've gotten some improvement** from persistently doing little things: Icing every time after intense workouts, stretching to maintain flexibility not just in the knees but the adjacent joints (hips and ankles), osteopath, massage therapist, strengthening in ways that involve motions I can repeat enough to be beneficial without causing more problems, etc.

** It isn't like any of these things are a magic one-session "treatment", but more like establishing a routine that helps keep things on the less-discomfort side, through regular "tune-ups", for me.

Another thing that helps me, that may be idiosyncratic, is keeping my knees warm and out of direct drafts. I wear knee warmers (under clothes) in Winter especially, 24x7; and I wear long pants or leggings the overwhelming majority of the time, even when it's hot, especially for workouts. Sometimes applied heat is helpful (preferred: My Thermophore heating pad, which provides moist heat without wetting), though I wouldn't do that when there's swelling.

Now returning us, with apologies, to our regularly-scheduled thread. :flowerforyou:

Thank-you.

Edit to add: Keeping knees warm and out of a draft is difficult to do during arctic fieldwork. I will have to make myself a knee warmer to add to my arsenal of tundra fashion.

I HAVE been wondering how much of it is temperature related.
  • rosiorama
    edited April 2019

That bold, that's the attitude :) I think everyone needs to blow off steam/vent/worry and air things out on occasion, and I remember when military doctors told me at 30 I'd be in a wheelchair before long...looking back they were probably right, if the medical community maintained the status quo, but there's folks out there figuring out new ways to keep us going all the time.

And in keeping in the spirit of the topic, my youngest is 28 and groans and complains enough for the both of us :D

I've read a lot of what you post and you got some strong attitude going on there, and I like it. I bet you won't let a speedbump, even a really irritating one, slow you down for long before you find another way to keep doing what you love. :) Hang in there, you can do this :)

I haven’t figured out how to bold things in quotes, but I gotta say how much I appreciate that last paragraph. It made me tear up. I really respect what you have to say on these forums, so... sheesh. Thank-you!
  • Phirrgus
    edited April 2019

I haven’t figured out how to bold things in quotes, but I gotta say how much I appreciate that last paragraph. It made me tear up. I really respect what you have to say on these forums, so... sheesh. Thank-you!

Back at you my friend :)

edit: Highlight what you want to bold, then click/tap the 'B' at the very top left.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2019
    jan110144 wrote: »

Been there. First. Keep moving!! Find things you can do and do them. Movement is your friend.

Experiment with ice and heat. One or both may help with discomfort.

Check out resources re eating a diet that minimizes inflammation

When the time comes for a knee replacement ... do it as soon as you can. I put mine off for a number of years. It ended up being such a non-issue (I was back on my horse in 4 weeks) that I was sorry that I waited so long. Life since the replace.ent has been pain free :smile:

One thing that seems common as we age is arthritis. I'm loaded with it - particularly my hands and my back.

Movement is key !

In my case changing what I eat was key to my health. I ate a diet that was highly inflammatory in my case for 40 years and it caused me a lot of arthritis damage.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member

Arthritis, for me, was mainly inflammation that caused pain along with some thinning of aging cartilage. I was told I had a torn meniscus/ arthritis and needed surgery. I refused. Weight loss in addition to limiting starchy white carbs, processed foods, and sugar was the cure. I am pain free. The more weight you lose, the less pressure on your knees! Do what you can with what you have. Keep going!

I am glad you were able to resolve this with a change of diet. I get frustrated with my mom because her doctor is her medical god and whatever medicines he say take she takes them faithfully as opposed to trying a more holistic way first. She has rheumatoid arthritis and she takes 8 pills in one day per week.