KETO Live-it

I'm 55 years old and done pretty much every diet so now it is "Live it" instead. I'm new to "myfitnesspal". I live in Germantown, Md alone. I have recently been diagnossed diabetic and it was a hard blow. My doctor said I needed to lose weight and she wanted me to go on the "KETO" diet. I had never heard of it before. It uses fat to lose weight so I started to eat big salads with alot of dressing and alot of stuff on top. I gained 2 pounds. Then I read alot and found this website. This is only my 3rd day but I wanted to know if there is anyone tht can suggest tips for me or recommend cookbooks? I would surely appreciate it. Thankyou, Mel

Replies

• mifetayo
    mifetayo Posts: 1 Member
    You should check out Dr Berg on youtube. He's very knowledgable about doing the keto diet the right way. Here's a playlist of his to get you started:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZfyEy_jpI&list=PLVLP-bhbxACYatOtC-0BGGrUfMTZFwxlv
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    best of luck to you! I am 56 and doing keto for a month or so and down about 8. prediabetic and thyroid/immune issues and it is just harder the older I get!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    I've been doing keto for three and a half months and I've lost 40 lb. My blood sugar is normal for the first time in years. I feel great. Once you cut out the sweets, the breads, the junk and the empty carbs, you won't want them anymore. It feels good to be free of hunger, cravings and deprivation. Check out Dr. Ken G. Berry's videos on youtube (he's an actual M.D. in practice today). He's got an answer for just about any keto question you can think of. The keto community is hugely active on youtube with tons of recipes and advice. Good luck!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    MLBOTELLO wrote: »
    I'm 55 years old and done pretty much every diet so now it is "Live it" instead. I'm new to "myfitnesspal". I live in Germantown, Md alone. I have recently been diagnossed diabetic and it was a hard blow. My doctor said I needed to lose weight and she wanted me to go on the "KETO" diet. I had never heard of it before. It uses fat to lose weight so I started to eat big salads with alot of dressing and alot of stuff on top. I gained 2 pounds. Then I read alot and found this website. This is only my 3rd day but I wanted to know if there is anyone tht can suggest tips for me or recommend cookbooks? I would surely appreciate it. Thankyou, Mel

Keto is just a way of eating, it doesn't lead to automatic weight loss (as you've realized). Keto is great for those who are satisfied by the higher fat but if carbs are what keeps you satisfied over long periods of time you're going to have a miserable time of it. Regardless of which way you eat, you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.